East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

JAS, I'm kind of curious on who you are. In 2 of your 3 posts on this site you have managed to slander Benner without providing any proof of your accusations. Disgruntled ex-employee or competitor?

I was going to say the same thing. Someone seems a bit close to this project. I've certainly given Benner a lot of grief on here, but I don't want to see them fail.

I was going to say the same thing. Someone seems a bit close to this project. I've certainly given Benner a lot of grief on here, but I don't want to see them fail.

I never said i wanted him to fail. I want this project to happen, i think it would be great for west mi. forgive me for not believing the guy when he says he has financing, even if it is "creative financing," given the economic conditions we are in right now.

The applicant brought quite a group to the hearing. Attorney, developer, a Spartan (not the MSU kind), couple other guys. Only party missing would be a sidewalk advocate (and I was at the BZA table).

If the plan was a fabrication, there are quite a few who would be missing their skin.

JAS, you could always attend the next BZA meeting and express your concerns in the public hearing. If memory serves, that's the next step. (Wait for the minutes. I was headed to a memorial service that day, anxious to go.)

• 3 weeks later...

The adventure continues this Thursday, as the applicant is back before the BZA for more fun. Agenda time is 2:15 pm (I wouldn't set a clock by that). 1120 N. Monroe conference room.

And, since the minutes from June have been distributed via USPS, presumably there is some light reading available on grcity.us under Planning, then BZA, then Minutes.

(oooh, they said "bike paths")

Edited by Veloise

Any word on progress of development on the other corner? Seems like this would be a good time for them to swoop in and steal PF Chang's, but maybe they are being crunched by the economy too.

Joe

Nothing on the VOOH blog since the Von Maur announcement back in Nov.:

http://www.thevooh.com/

I just read that commercial construction, especially retail, is going to see continued tightening for the next 3 years (nationally). Eesh.

The adventure continues this Thursday, as the applicant is back before the BZA for more fun. Agenda time is 2:15 pm (I wouldn't set a clock by that). 1120 N. Monroe conference room.

Extension granted, unanimous. The D&W is supposed to be open mid-March, worst case scenario May.

One of the conditions: the orchard billboard will be removed.

Fox 17 was present and shooting, if you're into that sort of thing (tee vee).

ETA: Read all about it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...knapp_stre.html

Or watch...

http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox17-life...,0,758965.story

Edited by Veloise

• 1 month later...

New D&W site updates:

Dykema Excavators trailer = check

More earth moving equipment that I've ever seen for one grocery store build job = check

Although I haven't seen a grading plan for the site, these facts and past efforts by the excavators tell me that the site prep work on this corner will be anything but "gentle". Let's hope and pray that the "creative financing" doesn't run out before the site work is done.

Although I haven't seen a grading plan for the site, these facts and past efforts by the excavators tell me that the site prep work on this corner will be anything but "gentle". Let's hope and pray that the "creative financing" doesn't run out before the site work is done.

True. I think I saw through some of the deliberations that there would need to be a 60 or 70' retaining wall all along the East side of the site?

New D&W site updates:

Lamar Construction trailer = check

Dykema Excavators trailer = check

Surveyors = check

More earth moving equipment that I've ever seen for one grocery store build job = check

I took a second look yesterday. That equipment was there during the timeframe of our July meeting.

I took a second look yesterday. That equipment was there during the timeframe of our July meeting.

Nope, there's new equipment there. I watched some of it arrive. There's also a new Lamar construction trailer sitting by the house on Knapp that wasn't there before. There were also about 30 cars there the other day.

Nope, there's new equipment there. I watched some of it arrive. There's also a new Lamar construction trailer sitting by the house on Knapp that wasn't there before. There were also about 30 cars there the other day.

Benner, Lamar, and Spartan closed on the deal late last night and early this morning.

I just noticed there are curb cuts but no sidewalks on the Chase Bank property. Hmmmm.

Speaks volumes about the notion of a "lifestyle center" being walkable, eh? Much as I love the idea of economic activity in these turbulent times, Knapps Corner will remain a prime textbook example of how not to do sustainable development.

Speaks volumes about the notion of a "lifestyle center" being walkable, eh? Much as I love the idea of economic activity in these turbulent times, Knapps Corner will remain a prime textbook example of how not to do sustainable development.

Chase Bank (SE corner of the intersection) is in the township, the other 3 corners are in the City of GR. The Township Hall / park south of the bank have walking paths. I believe the new courthouse will be adding walk paths to the rear / east , not sure about what's going to happen at the bank.

• 4 weeks later...