East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Don't know about PF Chang's but D&W does look close to being done (signs on the building etc.). It also looks like they have a lot of the "roads" in the development paved.

Joe

i just heard from someone that D&W is almost finished being built, and that Changs is slated for construction sometime in the near future. is this true or is smoke being blown up my @$$ as usual

Don't know about PF Chang's but D&W does look close to being done (signs on the building etc.). It also looks like they have a lot of the "roads" in the development paved.

That would be in the BZA meeting minutes from sometime last fall.

:sifts through old agendas:

Whoops, they requested an extension at the 7/16/09 meeting. Looks like I took notes on the timeline:

March 15: principal work completed, store open

Factor in the frost laws, and the worst case scenario was the D&W opening May 15. That would include the first phase of the site package as well.

i just heard from someone that D&W is almost finished being built, and that Changs is slated for construction sometime in the near future. is this true or is smoke being blown up my @$$ as usual

True, D&W is almost finished. But other than that Benner has no one else signed on to the project. No PF Changs, No walgreens, no Kohls, no bed bath and beyond, no crate and barrel, nothing. Keep in mind D&W has nothing to do with Benner. They bought that lot them selves and did it all on their own.

Who chose swamp green siding to put on that D&W? (shakes head)

My kids even make fun of it, and they're still in elementary school. We will however probably check the place out when it opens.

They've installed all of the lighting for the parking lot (black wrought iron faux historic), and saw a bunch of trees ready to be planted on the site. Some of the base coat of asphalt has gone down in the parking lot, but not on the streets yet. But it still seems too early to pave streets, isn't it? When I worked in construction, I don't remember any streets going in until late April/May.

What is everyone's response to having a D&W there with the Meijer megamall across the street, I feel that Meijer is not only cheaper but has a better rep, especially on that corner. My thoughts are that D&W is not going to do well there.

Living in that area, I know a lot of people who shop at Meijer and dread it. And really their selection there is not as good as the Cascade Meijer.

My bet, is that D&W is going to offer a higher end product lineup than Meijer, probably more organics, better produce, etc.. and do it pretty cheaply in the beginning to win over converts. The demographics in the 3 - 5 mile radius around that corner are some of the strongest (highest incomes, home values, education) in the entire metro area.

Harder to get to D&W than Meijer? Ha! The left lane of the East Beltline from Bradford all the way to Celebration Village is always backed up. To go one more light and make a right turn, from the right lane, will be nothing.

My bet, is that D&W is going to offer a higher end product lineup than Meijer, probably more organics, better produce, etc.. and do it pretty cheaply in the beginning to win over converts.

I can only hope. The produce at Meijer is in dreadful condition versus my infrequent visits to a D&W a few miles away. I can't tell how many times I've gotten a bag of oranges home to find that they are dried out inside or overripe, lettuce that is rotting from the inside or apples that are mealy. I wonder if Meijer freezes everything or just what?

I'll even make a trip to D&W for produce only and buy the rest of my stuff at Meijer if that's what it takes.

What is everyone's response to having a D&W there with the Meijer megamall across the street, I feel that Meijer is not only cheaper but has a better rep, especially on that corner. My thoughts are that D&W is not going to do well there.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?/topic/44174-dw-plans-at-some-point-some-year-to-build-8-million-fresh-market-on-lot-they-abandoned-east-of-medical-mile/page__s__976fab64d9d46a9964ef3c4e4e246830

(Just posting a link here, not stating an opinion.)

True, D&W is almost finished. But other than that Benner has no one else signed on to the project. No PF Changs, No walgreens, no Kohls, no bed bath and beyond, no crate and barrel, nothing. Keep in mind D&W has nothing to do with Benner. They bought that lot them selves and did it all on their own.

From the 1/28 GR Planning commish minutes:

PF Chang’s - Ms. Schulz related that staff has been working with the developers to address PF Chang’s difficulty in determining building orientation. Their desire is to have the building face the East Beltline. When staff met with them they discussed what would be necessary on the main street, to mitigate for that orientation. Staff is trying to work through the issues with them in order to provide a pleasant, walkable street on all sides.

So good news, bad news. PF Chang's is still involved (or was a few months ago), but they want to face the Beltline now. Who called it? Someone called it.

Edited by nurfle!

• 1 month later...

I noticed another outlot in Celebration Village had a sold sign and they had the erosion barrier up as if they were going to start building. Southwest side of the development, on Knapp. Anyone know what is going there?

Joe

Looks like an Aldi store might be going into Celebration Village. We won't have a shortage on where to get some groceries on the corner... but too bad it's not a Trader Joe's instead.

I know of a building at Fuller and Michigan looking for a grocery tenant. If an upscale D&W is not a good fit, why wouldn't an Aldi's work? Wait, it might take business from the Family Fare .75 miles away? Well, Spartan doesn't want an empty building there, so I'm sure they will be okay with it.

I'm sure the neighborhood would be okay with a convenient place to purchase food that can't be bought at the Farmer's Market.

Edited by fotoman311

I noticed another outlot in Celebration Village had a sold sign and they had the erosion barrier up as if they were going to start building. Southwest side of the development, on Knapp. Anyone know what is going there?

Joe

Yeah, it's going to be a low slung brick one-story office building, of the dentist office/insurance agency variety.

Yeah, it's going to be a low slung brick one-story office building, of the dentist office/insurance agency variety.

Isn't that corner location where the developer from Ohio is trying to put the GSA tenant from Heritage Hill that created all of the commotion when he request approval on a development bond?

Big full-page ad in last night's paper: the grocery store opens Sunday.

Yep - got my full page sale ad in the mailbox today - Sunday at 6AM. We also received a DVD with a video telling us all about D&W enclosed in a brochure. They sure want to let us know they are there.