East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

Not really understanding the negativity toward Spartan Stores here?? :dontknow: They can spend their money however they want. Don't shop at D&W if you don't like the prices.

I'm mad that they abandoned their plans for Michigan/Fuller, but I see no reason to dog a good company that has many stores in and around the city just because they opened a store on Knapp Street. It sounds like between Aldi, D&W and Meijer, you'll have plenty of options if you live in that corridor.

Joe

I wonder how much that cost them? (and by them, I mean us, in passed along food pricing)

Yep - got my full page sale ad in the mailbox today - Sunday at 6AM. We also received a DVD with a video telling us all about D&W enclosed in a brochure. They sure want to let us know they are there.

Someone lives in the desired zip code!

I had to dig for this...hours are 6 am - midnight every day (with holiday closings).

So I visited the new D&W this morning at about 6:50AM and the parking lot was already about 1/2 full. Lots of people picking up the cheap ferns ($7.99). I was there for the sale ($1.99) on 12pks of High Fructose Corn Syrup + Water (a.k.a. Coca-Cola).

The store manager was at the door greeting each patron and handing out maps of the store, and all the corporate big-wigs were there hanging around the Starbucks. The produce section is pretty nice, compared to the Meijer across the street. They have a pretty nice deli/ready to heat and eat food section, like their other stores too. I'm pretty picky about my produce, and D&W doesn't disappoint (so far). They didn't have as many checkouts open as I would have expected on a Grand Opening, but I was in and out in reasonable time.

Only thing I missed was a place to put your carts when you were done - there are no cart corral's in the lot, so I dutifully pushed my cart back to the entrance instead of leaving it to roll into someones Lexus :)

I drove by again later in the afternoon, (11:30'ish) and the place was totally packed, which is to be expected.

Edited by trongrr

So I visited the new D&W this morning at about 6:50AM and the parking lot was already about 1/2 full. Lots of people picking up the cheap ferns ($7.99). I was there for the sale ($1.99) on 12pks of High Fructose Corn Syrup + Water (a.k.a. Coca-Cola).

The store manager was at the door greeting each patron and handing out maps of the store, and all the corporate big-wigs were there hanging around the Starbucks. The produce section is pretty nice, compared to the Meijer across the street. They have a pretty nice deli/ready to heat and eat food section, like their other stores too. I'm pretty picky about my produce, and D&W doesn't disappoint (so far). They didn't have as many checkouts open as I would have expected on a Grand Opening, but I was in and out in reasonable time.

Only thing I missed was a place to put your carts when you were done - there are no cart corral's in the lot, so I dutifully pushed my cart back to the entrance instead of leaving it to roll into someones Lexus :)

I drove by again later in the afternoon, (11:30'ish) and the place was totally packed, which is to be expected.

I drove by around 1:00 today and the parking lot was so packed there were cars parked all the way down the drive out into the new "village." My wife went to Meijer this afternoon and said it was d.e.a.d..

Not about D&W but we tried to see a movie last night and Celebration Cinema North and I've never seen the parking lot so busy. We also couldn't see the movie we wanted (sold out) and ended up skipping the movies. Didn't seem like a great blockbuster weekend, wondering if theatre's are just getting more business. Hopefully a good sign.

Joe

At a party in Cornstalk Park this afternoon, one guest reported on her Saturday trip. The check-out line went all the way to the entrance, and employees were walking up and down the line with food samples. So I waited until tonight to go explore.

Probably about 75 people in there around 9:30 pm. It was easy to see the shiny surfaces and parquet flooring. I found the vintage photos fascinating; worth a stop if you're passing by. (Wait until the crowds thin out.) A couple of them are situated such that the captions aren't visible. "n.d." means "no date," but I can help them with the view down Monroe Center towards the Pantlind (the tall turreted red brick building was removed prior to Short Mackay). A couple of the photos depict the old apple orchard.

While the exterior of the building is very large and tall, suggesting spaciousness, the interior looks very much like the Cascade or Burton 'n' Breton stores. Low ceilings. I rode around the outside (looking for guess what?!) and it's a massive structure.

My cashier said that she'd been called in from the other store. Going by the site prep, it's been a wild week at that project.

Meanwhile, over at Fred's, there were about 50 people in the store, but due to the acreage and high ceilings, it seemed very sparse. I expect price wars and other enticements from the southwest corner.

Back to the party: even these full-blooded suburbanites understood the basic tenets of sprawl and infill and building new where there's a population base. I mentioned Michigan & Fuller, and away they went with it.

I laugh at all you guys for thinking you know anything about this project. You guys know nothing about this project. The news knows nothing about this project. Evergreen still is involed with D&W FYI. I really laugh at what you guys think you know.

And it's not "Brenner" its Benner

I laugh at all you guys for thinking you know anything about this project. You guys know nothing about this project. The news knows nothing about this project. Evergreen still is involed with D&W FYI. I really laugh at what you guys think you know.

@JR123 - Normally, I would welcome a newcomer to Urban Planet and their contributions to the discourse. It took just your first post to demonstrate just the opposite of what all of us hope would occur on the forum.

As you advise that none of us know anything about anything and that one person spelled a name wrong, please enlighten us. That's why we're here; to learn. Oh, and by the way - you missed a letter in the word 'involved' in your post. Could happen to anyone, just thought you might like to know.

Well, excuse my clumsy fingers and I shall excuse yours. As trongrr said: if we are so ignorant, please enlighten us instead of just trolling. Plenty of goodwill around these parts; we'd be happy to lend you some. :hi:

EDIT: Fox 17 has a similar story up now, this one with BENNER (there we go!) saying he's got two more stores lined up.

Edited by nurfle!

WOODTV misspelled Brenner too. Have you taken it up with them (Steve)?

Well, excuse my clumsy fingers and I shall excuse yours. As trongrr said: if we are so ignorant, please enlighten us instead of just trolling. Plenty of goodwill around these parts; we'd be happy to lend you some. :hi:

EDIT: Fox 17 has a similar story up now, this one with BENNER (there we go!) saying he's got two more stores lined up.

"Major stores", yes, he has Dollar General and Smokey Joe's wholesale tobacco shop. Details coming soon.

Well, we are getting an Aldi across from Bostons...so, yeah.

Maybe a Neiman Marcus with a Luby's inside if you get a hankerin' for a platter with two sides?

(Snarky comments aside, I would think there would be some contractual stipulations between the developer and tenants regarding adjoining businesses, or did that sort of thing go by the wayside in lieu of just getting the papers signed these days?)

@JR123 - Normally, I would welcome a newcomer to Urban Planet and their contributions to the discourse. It took just your first post to demonstrate just the opposite of what all of us hope would occur on the forum.

As you advise that none of us know anything about anything and that one person spelled a name wrong, please enlighten us. That's why we're here; to learn. Oh, and by the way - you missed a letter in the word 'involved' in your post. Could happen to anyone, just thought you might like to know.

The reason my screen name is JR123 is because my name is Steven Benner JR. The son of the Developer. I just love reading everyone's thoughts and idea's on this. People can only speculate on what's coming. Its a lot of fun knowing the facts that people can only guess at.

The reason my screen name is JR123 is because my name is Steven Benner JR. The son of the Developer. I just love reading everyone's thoughts and idea's on this. People can only speculate on what's coming. Its a lot of fun knowing the facts that people can only guess at.

You must be about 12 years old.

I was afraid you were going to say something like that. A bit of advice, then, from a PR professional: If you are who you claim to be (I don't not believe you, but no one ever knows online), then you aren't doing dad's company any favors by opening up on us like you did. If he has a communications person, he/she would probably have an aneurysm watching you represent the company in this way.

A lot of us are actually professionals in the field too, or at least in related fields. We may not be a bit unruly at times, but no one here says we're doing anything else but speculate and report what the media's saying.

You don't like what you see, respectfully join the conversation; but your father's interests aren't served well by someone close to him quasi-anonymously attacking an influential group (whether we deserve it or not, there's plenty of influence on here) online where anyone can read it at any time.

Edited by nurfle!

Junior-

Remember that a lot of this cynicism comes because of the antics of your Pa. Remember the big "Coming Soon - Trailer Park" signs?

I really wish nothing but the best for this development. I hope that the tenants originally targeted for this development start growing again and we get a quality lifestyle center that was proposed before the economy tanked. Personally, I think the D&W store looks great, and PF Chang's will definitely be a feather in the developments hat.

But if you really are Benner Jr., I'd highly advise you and your Dad take some media training (and hire a good PR firm, they will provide media training for you).

Joe

Speaking of funny jokes, have you seen the new "village" at the East Beltline and Knapp that isn't a village? :rofl:

Junior-

Remember that a lot of this cynicism comes because of the antics of your Pa. Remember the big "Coming Soon - Trailer Park" signs?

I really wish nothing but the best for this development. I hope that the tenants originally targeted for this development start growing again and we get a quality lifestyle center that was proposed before the economy tanked. Personally, I think the D&W store looks great, and PF Chang's will definitely be a feather in the developments hat.

But if you really are Benner Jr., I'd highly advise you and your Dad take some media training (and hire a good PR firm, they will provide media training for you).

Joe

What tenants Joe? I don't remember anything rumored other than a Walgreen's.

Anyways. We are working on some major tenants for this project. Look in the news within the next couple of weeks. I will not say anything negative on this forum anymore, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This is a tough time to develop anything and I think everyone can understand that. We (Evergreen) work day and night on this and we want to make this a great site for us and our community. If you guys have any questions about anything that isn't negative please feel free to ask and I will see what I can do to answer them. Best of luck to everyone!

JR

Thanks Jr.,

I wish your development nothing but the best. I hope it turns out great and brings in a lot of businesses we don't currently have. On the flipside, I hope it gets developed properly and doesn't end up a mish-mash of development like Celebration Village. :)

Joe

Anyways. We are working on some major tenants for this project. Look in the news within the next couple of weeks. I will not say anything negative on this forum anymore, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This is a tough time to develop anything and I think everyone can understand that. We (Evergreen) work day and night on this and we want to make this a great site for us and our community. If you guys have any questions about anything that isn't negative please feel free to ask and I will see what I can do to answer them. Best of luck to everyone!

JR