East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

At the very least, I hope they prove to be successful. Upwards and onwards to the next chain!

Yes, there's room for about 50 more along that stretch of the Beltline. I'm hoping it's chains, chains, chains from East Grand Rapids to Cedar Springs (like metro Detroit area).

Yes, there's room for about 50 more along that stretch of the Beltline. I'm hoping it's chains, chains, chains from East Grand Rapids to Cedar Springs (like metro Detroit area).

Please, please, PLEASE!!!, don't turn GR into Metro Detroit. We had to go through it to escape from our long weekend in Detroit. We stopped at Trader Joe's in Northville, and I will never get off the highway in that area again if I have a choice. BLEH!!!

We already have enough of that crap on 28th St.

No, please, please do not add anymore chains. I grew up in Metro Detroit and it is so refreshing to live in Grand Rapids where the only chain induced calamity can be found on Plainfield and 28th.

If you actually drive around Metro D some of the towns/cities look like wastelands - no trees, mostly empty parking lots, way too much signage. It looks so unnatural - almost creepy in a way.

I am sincerely hoping that the spread stops at the Village and continues no further.

No, please, please do not add anymore chains. I grew up in Metro Detroit and it is so refreshing to live in Grand Rapids where the only chain induced calamity can be found on Plainfield and 28th.

If you actually drive around Metro D some of the towns/cities look like wastelands - no trees, mostly empty parking lots, way too much signage. It looks so unnatural - almost creepy in a way.

I am sincerely hoping that the spread stops at the Village and continues no further.

Ha, no. I was just kidding. I can't stand the metro Detroit area. Everything North of 696 looks the same, just big wide boulevards lined with strip malls, restaurants and big box stores in an endless mindless march to the countryside.

I WOULD, however, like to see some national retail chains in the downtown or EGR area. I think it would bring in some spinoff traffic to help support local merchants.

While not specifically related to this development, but with the discussion on chains coming to the GR area the announcement of Anthropolgie coming to EGR and the North Face opening in Woodland it appears (if you like national chains) GR is on a mini-streak.

Whether you like chains or not, they do bring a certain prestige factor. Someone had mentioned once that his measurement of how "COOL" GR was (when moving from Atlanta), was the presence of an Apple Store.

Anthropologie and North Face are great additions to the retail landscape. And this could lead to other chains seeing GR as a viable option.

While we openly bitch about PF Changs or the next pseudo-Applebee's, fellow Planeteers stage write-in campaigns for Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Urban Outfitters.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, this is pot. ;)

Joe

While not specifically related to this development, but with the discussion on chains coming to the GR area the announcement of Anthropolgie coming to EGR and the North Face opening in Woodland it appears (if you like national chains) GR is on a mini-streak.

Whether you like chains or not, they do bring a certain prestige factor. Someone had mentioned once that his measurement of how "COOL" GR was (when moving from Atlanta), was the presence of an Apple Store.

Anthropologie and North Face are great additions to the retail landscape. And this could lead to other chains seeing GR as a viable option.

While we openly bitch about PF Changs or the next pseudo-Applebee's, fellow Planeteers stage write-in campaigns for Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Urban Outfitters.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, this is pot. ;)

Joe

I think it depends on the chain and the location. I'm not anti-chain, and I certainly think a few "good" chains downtown would do it wonders. But personally, I never wrote in to attract Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and could care less if they come. BUT, if having one open here raises our "street cred," whatevs. :)

I think we can all agree most people here get frothy at the mouth when someone mentions a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Urban Outfitters. Yet when a new restaurant moves in, everyone groans and acts like "who needs overpriced chinese food". I for one am glad North Face, PF Changs and Anthropologie are moving to GR. Our market is under-served in many ways, and maybe this is small affirmation of the fact that GR can sustain a more eclectic mix of national retail.

Joe

I think it depends on the chain and the location. I'm not anti-chain, and I certainly think a few "good" chains downtown would do it wonders. But personally, I never wrote in to attract Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, and could care less if they come. BUT, if having one open here raises our "street cred," whatevs. :)

Yes, splitting hairs... but technically Breton Village isn't EGR and the new Anthropolgie store will not be EGR either:

http://www.eastgr.org/files/EGRStreetMap.jpg

Ah yes, I forget that Breton Village borders the city line of GR/EGR. So technically speaking, all the new retail options are in the city of Grand Rapids. I wont complain about new businesses locating in the city even if on the edges.

Although, I think a Trader Joes on Michigan could do quite well and as others have said, some "oumph" to the area.

• 5 months later...

You'd think if PF Chang's thought GR was a viable market, they'd stop working with this joker and build in a different location. I'm sure they could find a suitable location within 500 yards of their current site.

Joe

Downtown?

Rivertown... Gasp!? I know Uccello's is taking over the Max & Erma's but it seems like a PF Chang's fits that area pretty well. While checking their other locations they do have a lot of stores downtown (bigger citites, Portland, Seattle, and Chicago) However, it appears a lot seem to populate mall areas as well.

Does Ruth's Chris coming DT make it easier for other national brands to go DT?

You'd think if PF Chang's thought GR was a viable market, they'd stop working with this joker and build in a different location. I'm sure they could find a suitable location within 500 yards of their current site.

Joe

Well, it looks like they'll have their opportunity now.

rolleyes.gifWe're all probably better off in the long run. Goes to show that Spartan hitched their wagon to the wrong star; Michigan and Fuller would've been the way to go!

Still, there's plenty of spots to open a new PF Chang's - I think we have room for more than one, actually. Hopefully this experience didn't sour them to the GR market and they will plan to look for other locations.

Edited by RegalTDP