East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

As predicted, the developer has revised the site plan. They're taking out the "street" that was put in between D&W and PF Changs and reconfiguring a bit, and adding more "placemaking" areas and increased pedestrian pathways.

As I predicted, it's pretty much a giant strip mall. Does it really matter though which way the buildings face, in a retail development on a commerical corridor that sees 70,000 cars a day? Are people really going to congregate "em masse" in an outdoor shopping mall? Even if it were configured like a village? As long as it's done aesthetically well with the parking areas greened up with landscaping and a lot of pedestrian connections?

Another question, this seems like it might be the first large scale retail development in the city of GR? Can anyone else think of any? The CWD one is about 1/2 the size or smaller.

The streetscape images are from a similar development they have in Brighton, right off M-23, called Green Oak Village Place.

15758751212_b076079800_b.jpg

15755330231_1bfc9aa9a1_b.jpg

15571778368_4ccd156610_b.jpg

15571384709_9de2036273_c.jpg

15137831083_40f7b69b28_z.jpg

15572072447_c508da21b8_c.jpg

This essentially looks like a copy of Green Ridge Square - the part that fronts Alpine Avenue.   Target to the far south (D&W) and Best Buy and Bed, Bath..to the far north, with restaurants out front.  If you figure that plan works then this should do just fine. :thumbsup:  Maybe they will be adding a little more "connectivity" and trees, but it's basically the same. I guess we will see what the planning commission says.  

If you are talking recent large scale retail development in the city limits, yes this would be it.  Otherwise Eastbrook/Centerpointe mall may be the all time largest? Then of course all the stuff across the street...Knapp's Corner and the Celebration complex.

Edited by mpchicago

This essentially looks like a copy of Green Ridge Square - the part that fronts Alpine Avenue.   Target to the far south (D&W) and Best Buy and Bed, Bath..to the far north, with restaurants out front.  If you figure that plan works then this should do just fine. :thumbsup:  Maybe they will be adding a little more "connectivity" and trees, but it's basically the same. I guess we will see what the planning commission says.  

If you are talking recent large scale retail development in the city limits, yes this would be it.  Otherwise Eastbrook/Centerpointe mall may be the all time largest? Then of course all the stuff across the street...Knapp's Corner and the Celebration complex.

Technically Eastbrook/Centerpointe are not in the "city" of GR. Just thinking about the added tax base.

My guess is they will continue to press for a "village" layout, but will acqueisce.

This development has a lot more pedestrian pathways than Green Ridge or the Target/Costco development on 28th. And hypothetically someone could ride a bike or walk to this development from the adjoining GR Township non motorized paths, although the residential nearby is not very dense.

Technically Eastbrook/Centerpointe are not in the "city" of GR. Just thinking about the added tax base.

Centerpointe actually is in the "city" of Grand Rapids.  The city limits run the east side of the Beltline from the PNC bank to 28th, then along the north edge of 28th down to the west side of East Paris and then back up to Burton.  Woodland is JUST inside Kentwood as the WMU building to the north is in Grand Rapids.
Edited by mpchicago

Centerpointe actually is in the "city" of Grand Rapids.  The city limits run the east side of the Beltline from the PNC bank to 28th, then along the north edge of 28th down to the west side of East Paris and then back up to Burton.  Woodland is JUST inside Kentwood as the WMU building to the north is in Grand Rapids.

Ah, you are correct. I thought it stopped North of Woodland and ran directly East from there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+Rapids,+MI/@42.9194108,-85.583528,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x88185460bb502815:0xa593aacb1bd3a8d0?hl=en

What're the chances this development pulls tenants out of Centerpointe and Woodland?

I don't see that happening. Since it's the same developer as Centerpointe, I don't think they'd risk it.

If this retail corner affects anyone, it will be retailers on Alpine. Right now, if you're in GR Twp, Ada, Plainfield Twp, Belmont and Rockford, your choices are running the gauntlet on Alpine, which is a pain to get to, or travel down to 28th Street where you at least have several malls to choose from. Now they'll be able to get a lot of shopping done without going to Alpine. And the Costco and Target on 28th/I-96 are an easy in-and-out for these people.

Especially if this shopping center is seen as more upscale than Alpine. You already have a movie theater on Alpine that is a disgusting dump compared to Celebration Cinema. Green Ridge Square will undoubtedly by affected, IMO.

My suggested retail zones aren't exact obviously. :)

post-2672-0-67779500-1415797521_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of meh about the plans I saw on the article. To me it looks more like a typical power strip center We just need a Target on one end and a Best Buy on the other and maybe a Burlington Coat Factory and a Marshalls in between. Oh and don't forget an Applebee's and a TGI Friday's up front and there you go. I would have like to have seen a lifestyle center. It would be a bit different than the typical exurban shopping center. But oh well its better than nothing I guess.

• Like 1

R.E.I.

Not confirmed yet.

Whenever I hear commercials from retailers w/ no local presence, I wonder if that means a store may be in the fold going forward. I think that would be a significant boost to this property and it certainly wouldn't cannibalize a lot of local retailers (maybe Dick's somewhat)

Whenever I hear commercials from retailers w/ no local presence, I wonder if that means a store may be in the fold going forward. I think that would be a significant boost to this property and it certainly wouldn't cannibalize a lot of local retailers (maybe Dick's somewhat)

Yes, and now REI is stalking me everywhere online. On here, on Facebook, Youtube, ahhhhhh!! :)

Yes, and now REI is stalking me everywhere online. On here, on Facebook, Youtube, ahhhhhh!! :)

On a side note, a couple years ago my wife and I installed a Danze faucet in our kitchen.  We have been having trouble with it leaking.  I had registered it with Danze when we bought it and they guarantee for life.  So the other morning I am sitting with my computer and a cup of coffee reading the news.  My wife is leaving for work and as she is walking out the door she says, "Hey why don't you call Danze today to see if they will do something about the faucet."  That is it, she just blurted it out.  

Two minutes later a Danze Faucet ad shows up on the news page I was reading.  I did not type in Danze or search for it, my wife just mentioned it to me.  Creepy! :dontknow:

On a side note, a couple years ago my wife and I installed a Danze faucet in our kitchen.  We have been having trouble with it leaking.  I had registered it with Danze when we bought it and they guarantee for life.  So the other morning I am sitting with my computer and a cup of coffee reading the news.  My wife is leaving for work and as she is walking out the door she says, "Hey why don't you call Danze today to see if they will do something about the faucet."  That is it, she just blurted it out.  

Two minutes later a Danze Faucet ad shows up on the news page I was reading.  I did not type in Danze or search for it, my wife just mentioned it to me.  Creepy! :dontknow:

Actually, I'll bet your wife saw a Danze ad online somewhere and subconsciously thought to bring it up to you. ;)

Everything that was old is new again (in the new economy).  The parcel just to the North of Noodles & Co on the East Beltline (2333 East Beltline NE) has been approved for four commercial buildings, 3 along the East Beltline. This is the parcel where the owners cleared the entire lot but left a house perched on the side of a cliff of a plateau for a while.

http://www.mlive.com/east-grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/12/east_beltline_retail_developme.html

The owners are registered at 888 Seventh Avenue, 29th Floor, NY, the same address/floor that returns the Securities and Exchange Commission and Barnes & Noble in a Google search.

My estimation is that the area between Spectrum Health Medical Group and Knapp's Crossing on both sides will be completely filled in by 2016.

• 2 weeks later...