East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Or it could be Kirkland's. That has shown up on the site plan on and off. 

Could be. I did a google image search (impressive how good it's getting when you upload an image and search for it) and it was definitely Restoration Hardware, but it easily could have been a designer grabbing any ole image that represented lifestyle. They also grabbed a shot of a bar which is from The Bearded Lady in Fort Worth, TX. Doesn't look like a bar that would open it's second location in a strip mall in Michigan so it's probably all stolen imagery. :)

Joe

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Could be. I did a google image search (impressive how good it's getting when you upload an image and search for it) and it was definitely Restoration Hardware, but it easily could have been a designer grabbing any ole image that represented lifestyle. They also grabbed a shot of a bar which is from The Bearded Lady in Fort Worth, TX. Doesn't look like a bar that would open it's second location in a strip mall in Michigan so it's probably all stolen imagery. :)

Joe

I could see any developer throwing in images like RH that gets people excited just for the hell of it.  That's what I'd do!  :)

• Like 1

On 11/21/2015, 10:14:14, joeDowntown said:

Joe

I'm hoping that the slow progress of any announcements is due to efforts to land good tenants. They sure are doing a lot of excavating on the site though. No foundations yet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ummmmm.... WUT!!!

Merry Christmas. 

Some of those appear to be double-decker stores. 

23823716786_34d8e5c059_b.jpg

23823716306_cba48e2ac7_b.jpg

23767329481_2547e868f0_b.jpg

My wife is freaking out over the Container Store. No Whole Foods but the lineup looks pretty sweet. 

23849824975_5efef89afc_h.jpg

There's also been a survey crew out staking the property just to the South of the new Spectrum facility. Can't find anything online yet for what's planned there. 

8 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

This is a pretty amazing lineup. Wow!

Joe

I'm an idiot. The site plan says which stores are two-stories. Crate&Barrel is two-story 36,000 sf, REI is two-story 26,000 sf, Restoration Hardware is two-story 20,000 sf, and Arhaus is two-story 20,000 sf. 

Here's a really large-scale version of it:

23831531036_329d86fa85_o.jpg

57 minutes ago, jas49503 said:

My wife was cautiously optimistic after seeing the site plan. Are all those stores labeled 'proposed' actually coming or is it some kind of fantasy wish list of the developers. 

My guess is if you (or the media) asked the retailers themselves, they'd say "no comment" or "We're always looking at new markets in which to expand." And if you asked the developer, they'd probably say "No comment." 

But it's the most detailed renderings and site plan we've seen, and very specific. The two anchors at the North end were originally proposed as one anchor, but they split it in two and went two-stories to accommodate the two stores. That North spot has the most visibility from the Beltline so they probably had to do that to appease C&B and REI. The building that runs along the detention pond is so narrow that the old site plans showed some pretty small stores in there. But again, it looks like they went two-stories to accommodate some large retail users. In other words, it's a lot of specific "client problem solving" that you wouldn't do just for marketing purposes. 

And as MJLO said, it's chancy throwing around big brand logos and store designs without at least some level of commitment. Not only are they using specific logos, they're using specific store designs. 

Here's a similar Crate&Barrel:

Crate-Barrel-Homestore-Paramus-New-Jerse

Another Restoration Hardware:

GettyImages-536073317.0.0.jpg

New Arhaus store in Kansas City:

arhaus.jpg

A lot of these retailers have in-house designers who work with mall developers to make sure the store matches the "brand." 

Good luck getting anyone to talk yet though. :)  It's all over FB now too. 

• Like 1

Ha, I called it. 

http://mibiz.com/item/23198-reporter%E2%80%99s-notebook-despite-social-media-rumors,-rei,-crate-barrel-have-no-plans-to-build-in-grand-rapids-%E2%80%94-yet

Might as well be a "no comment." Seems strange too that they'd say this is 3 years away when they're doing heavy excavating on the site and upgrading the water main...

23 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Ha, I called it. 

http://mibiz.com/item/23198-reporter%E2%80%99s-notebook-despite-social-media-rumors,-rei,-crate-barrel-have-no-plans-to-build-in-grand-rapids-%E2%80%94-yet

Might as well be a "no comment." Seems strange too that they'd say this is 3 years away when they're doing heavy excavating on the site and upgrading the water main...

It seems like the same thing you hear when any retailer is asked if they are coming to town. If Lormax-Stern is going to take 3 years on this (when they are pushing dirt everyday) I'd dare say they'll miss the boat. With the reports saying that retailers cannot find suitable space, I personally think it's a smokescreen. Maybe they didn't realize people actually pay attention to their website?!

I've also heard about Crate & Barrell looking to move into a large space in Grand Rapids before. I think that was a bit more complicated (current tenants would have had to vacate and it wasn't built for retail), though it would have been adjacent to Woodland.

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I've also heard about Crate & Barrell looking to move into a large space in Grand Rapids before. I think that was a bit more complicated (current tenants would have had to vacate and it wasn't built for retail), though it would have been adjacent to Woodland.

I've been thinking about how much developable retail space is going to open up around Woodland once Sears finally bites the dust. It's a 275,000 square foot store, which is as much building as the entire proposed Knapp's Crossing. One of the billion MLive articles from the Trader Joe's announcement also said that developers are salivating at the Sears Auto Center space becoming available - that's prime 28th Street frontage with a massive parking lot.

High end retail along the Beltline could become very competitive in a few years. It's strange that nobody seems to excited to capitalize on it now.

1 hour ago, getemngo said:

I've been thinking about how much developable retail space is going to open up around Woodland once Sears finally bites the dust. It's a 275,000 square foot store, which is as much building as the entire proposed Knapp's Crossing. One of the billion MLive articles from the Trader Joe's announcement also said that developers are salivating at the Sears Auto Center space becoming available - that's prime 28th Street frontage with a massive parking lot.

High end retail along the Beltline could become very competitive in a few years. It's strange that nobody seems to excited to capitalize on it now.

I'm just glad that they're shooting higher than DSW, Ulta and Mattress Mart. They're really sitting on a gold mine at Knapp and the Beltline and patience will pay off. 

I hadn't thought about Sears but you're totally right that's also another gold mine of retail property. The movie theater there probably as well. The movie theater attached to the mall in Traverse City is being torn down for a Dick's Sporting Goods and a number of other stores, and a new theater is being built down the road.

On 12/23/2015 at 4:59 PM, getemngo said:

Speaking of Sears, I believe I saw a new "Sears Auto Center" sign on one of the suites in that new building at Broadmoor and 36th St (3650 Broadmoor). Are the relocating the Woodland Mall one? 

Here's another take on the Village project:

http://fox17online.com/2016/01/04/knapps-development-ahead-of-schedule-new-stores-set-for-spring/

Brochert would not comment on which specific retailers were being pursued but said they were actively working to secure finalized agreements before committing to construction, saying they did not want to rush it.

As someone reminded me, Trader Joe's wouldn't even comment after CWD CONFIRMED that TJ's was going into their 28th St development. Those retailers are ready to announce on their own time. 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Here's another take on the Village project:

http://fox17online.com/2016/01/04/knapps-development-ahead-of-schedule-new-stores-set-for-spring/

Brochert would not comment on which specific retailers were being pursued but said they were actively working to secure finalized agreements before committing to construction, saying they did not want to rush it.

As someone reminded me, Trader Joe's wouldn't even comment after CWD CONFIRMED that TJ's was going into their 28th St development. Those retailers are ready to announce on their own time. 

Interesting that every business listed on the latest site plan (in the two buildings discussed) have now been confirmed. And, it looks like they added Lady Janes, which will sit next to the PNC Bank.

Joe 

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting that every business listed on the latest site plan (in the two buildings discussed) have now been confirmed. And, it looks like they added Lady Janes, which will sit next to the PNC Bank.

Joe 

Lady Jane's is not one of those cheesy lingerie stores, is it?

Wow is right, a lot of new firsts for W. MI. to add a few new firsts I could see there maybe a Which wich sandwich shop and a chain brewery like Rock Bottom, Granite City or BJ's theres none and this is Beer City right?

And maybe there will be a conversion of the D&W to Whole Foods? They have like the same prices anyways 

8 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Wow is right, a lot of new firsts for W. MI. to add a few new firsts I could see there maybe a Which wich sandwich shop and a chain brewery like Rock Bottom, Granite City or BJ's theres none and this is Beer City right?

And maybe there will be a conversion of the D&W to Whole Foods? They have like the same prices anyways 

I wonder how well that D&W performs for Spartan. Even if not well, I'd have to imagine the think that location is prime real estate going forward.

In similar news, Grand Rapids Township is reviewing site plans for a 280 unit "luxury" apartment complex just North of here, and South of the Spectrum project. The project would be the first in the area for national apartment developer Continental Properties of Wisconsin. The project would be part of the Spectrum HC - PUD (Health care planned unit development) that was approved a few years ago after the lifestyle center died. Nothing really exciting but may interest some people on here. Supposed to be similar to Stone Falls of Ada or the new Cascade Ridge apartments, according to the township supervisor. 

Springs at Knapp 2.jpg

Springs at Knapp Site Plan.jpg

1 hour ago, x99 said:

"Luxury" apartments, eh?  Until they aren't.  Be interesting to see if that proposal touches off any fireworks...

Several things will at least keep the rents pretty high, compared to your average suburban apartment complex: built-in garages on the main floor (instead of carports), private first floor access (as opposed to open stairwells), only being 2 floors instead of 3 or 4, the location (FH Schools), privately gated. 

The residential land use was already approved for this density and size several years ago when Spectrum was approved. All that is needed now is site plan approval. People might complain about it but the ship has already sailed. 

This same developer proposed a similar project in Byron Center, on land that was zoned rural residential and was rezoned to PUD by the township. It was overturned in a referendum/ballot. It was a complete change of zoning, across the street from an elementary school. Different case, different issue.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2015 at 8:18 PM, GRDadof3 said:

17166846820_ae2cc28404_c.jpg

They need to engineer in their access management (connected parking lots) while construction continues; that theoretical drive behind "D" would help traffic flow.

ETA: Here is an aerial with the Goodwill center parcel
knapp%202.jpg

Edited by Veloise

Speaking of traffic flow.  

Do we anticipate a new traffic light on Knapp?  Currently, it is a little difficult at times to turn left onto Knapp from D&W.  I can't image what it will be like when that whole area is developed.  I'm imagining something like they have on Knapp for Celebration Cinema/Meijer.  

Also, it would have been nice if they could have figured out a way to add an entrance from Dunnigan to help alleviate some of that traffic (I think that is the theoretical drive you are talking about behind D).  

Edited by Sparty97