East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

3 hours ago, Sparty97 said:

Also, it would have been nice if they could have figured out a way to add an entrance from Dunnigan to help alleviate some of that traffic (I think that is the theoretical drive you are talking about behind D).  

That's something that the township is specifically NOT allowing, on the Knapp's Corner development, the new apartment project proposal, and Spectrum's project. Dunnigan has been deemed to be not anywhere close to being able to handle any more traffic volume, and it's way too expensive for the township or county to rebuild. They can't even afford to extend the non motorized path down Dunnigan due to the funky terrain. 

On February 12, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Sparty97 said:

Speaking of traffic flow.  

Do we anticipate a new traffic light on Knapp?  Currently, it is a little difficult at times to turn left onto Knapp from D&W.  I can't image what it will be like when that whole area is developed.  I'm imagining something like they have on Knapp for Celebration Cinema/Meijer.  

Also, it would have been nice if they could have figured out a way to add an entrance from Dunnigan to help alleviate some of that traffic (I think that is the theoretical drive you are talking about behind D).  

I think Knapp may need a few more traffic lights. It's quite a busy road as the main east west road in that area and an alternative route / shortcut to get to Rockford. Add this shopping center to the mix and it'll be hard to get on Knapp at certain times. 

On 2/12/2016 at 8:54 AM, Sparty97 said:

Speaking of traffic flow.  

Do we anticipate a new traffic light on Knapp?  Currently, it is a little difficult at times to turn left onto Knapp from D&W.  I can't image what it will be like when that whole area is developed.  I'm imagining something like they have on Knapp for Celebration Cinema/Meijer.  

Here's the Goodwill plaza site plan placed into an aerial for further reference.

imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi4.photo

Edited by Veloise

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

Did they actually ever take that info down?  I'm not sure they did.

Yep, they absolutely did. When the renderings were posted here, and then the renderings went up on a local Facebook group page and got hundreds of hits, and MiBiz contacted them and did an article, they redacted all of it. Now they're back up again.

1 hour ago, Sparty97 said:

I have to edit my post.  I just saw the high end stores you mentioned in a newer marketing brochure from December that I hadn't read before:  http://lormaxstern.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/The-Village-at-Knapps-Package-120215.pdf

Yep, that's the one they have back up on their site.

I noticed signage going up today on the first two buildings. Potbelly's, Lady Jane's and it looked like they were working on others. The third building is going up pretty fast. I'd expect they'll start reconfiguring the parking lots pretty soon. Should be interesting to see what pops up next.

Joe

19 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I noticed signage going up today on the first two buildings. Potbelly's, Lady Jane's and it looked like they were working on others. The third building is going up pretty fast. I'd expect they'll start reconfiguring the parking lots pretty soon. Should be interesting to see what pops up next.

Joe

I love Potbelly's and think it will be a good draw. There are, however, 2 other sub places across the street although Potbelly's is different from Jimmy John's and Firehouse. Lady Jane's makes no sense - there are 2 other male-oriented hair places across the street as well; I don't think the market is there for them. 

I hope they will get a couple more unique vendors in there; if not independent/local shops then at least a franchise that's new to GR. 

On 3/9/2016 at 2:02 PM, dadr said:

I love Potbelly's and think it will be a good draw. There are, however, 2 other sub places across the street although Potbelly's is different from Jimmy John's and Firehouse. Lady Jane's makes no sense - there are 2 other male-oriented hair places across the street as well; I don't think the market is there for them. 

I hope they will get a couple more unique vendors in there; if not independent/local shops then at least a franchise that's new to GR. 

Are you talking about the buildings out toward the Beltline? All of the tenants were named a little while ago. Menchie's, Pie-ology, Mattress Firm, a bank and one other I can't remember. 

one thing this are really lags behind with is infrastructure improvements before they are issues instead of reacting to years and years of built up traffic issues. East Beltline is years behind when it should be expanded to 3 maybe even 4 lanes in each direction AND a Knapp street exit on I96

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tSlater said:

And better pedestrian facilities.  Like a pedestrian bridge halfway between Knapp & Leonard.

That is a long stretch with no light to cross at. While they're at it, they should put a pedestrian bridge over the Beltline near Woodland Mall too. So many people cross there and someone's going to get killed. 

• Like 4

On March 10, 2016 at 10:53 AM, GR8scott said:

one thing this are really lags behind with is infrastructure improvements before they are issues instead of reacting to years and years of built up traffic issues. East Beltline is years behind when it should be expanded to 3 maybe even 4 lanes in each direction AND a Knapp street exit on I96

Mud thoughts exactly. All they need to do is get rid of the Michigan turn lanes and they could expand the capacity of E Beltline.

Knapp exit should be a no brainer as well, with all the new housing and retail along Knapp, it will put a lot more traffic on Leonard/Leffingwell . 

9 hours ago, dadr said:

Mud thoughts exactly. All they need to do is get rid of the Michigan turn lanes and they could expand the capacity of E Beltline.

Knapp exit should be a no brainer as well, with all the new housing and retail along Knapp, it will put a lot more traffic on Leonard/Leffingwell . 

The problem is is that MDOT didn't have the foresight to buy any land at Knapp and I-96 so it's all landlocked now. And it's all in Forest Hills so they'd have to pay a fortune for it now. Catholic Central will never sell any of theirs. 

On 3/19/2016 at 7:05 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The problem is is that MDOT didn't have the foresight to buy any land at Knapp and I-96 so it's all landlocked now. And it's all in Forest Hills so they'd have to pay a fortune for it now. Catholic Central will never sell any of theirs. 

There is unbuilt on sapce there for a ramp similar to the Leonard st exit, but what about eminent domain? 

4 hours ago, GR8scott said:

There is unbuilt on sapce there for a ramp similar to the Leonard st exit, but what about eminent domain? 

There are a lot of politics involved in eminent domain when it comes to MDOT. I'd wipe the idea right out of your mind. 

On 3/22/2016 at 7:24 AM, wyoming_mi said:

Also, Catholic Central is currently building their football stadium right on the NW corner of the property. The room that used to exist is now gone on that corner of the interchange.

The large property on Knapp that borders the highway on the NW corner that was for sale for years finally sold, most likely for residential development (FH Schools). 

Continental Properties got their approval last night for the 248 apartment project just South of Spectrum on the Beltline. Or I should say, the Planning commission recommended it go to township board approval. Continental must think they're sitting on a gold mine there because they acquiesced to pretty much everything the township asked for, including doing all natural materials on the exteriors of the buildings, dropping the density, adding landscaping. The apartments effectively only cover half the site too (did not get a new site plan yet), and they're going to pay for a 10' wide paved trail that connects the Beltline to Dunnigan. 

Nothing terribly exciting, but for those following developments in this NE quadrant, this is the retail going in in front of Goodwill. 

Knapp North Retail.JPG

• GRDadof3 changed the title to East Beltline Developments

More details on the approved Continental Properties apartment project. Reduced density, changed the gate layout at the entrance, added landscaping, went with all natural materials (stone, hardy plank, stucco). 

25492739524_e21ba9d64f_b.jpg

Pretty suburban, fits the site. Should sell well in that location. 

26071568536_730918c3d9_b.jpg

25492739764_99f79f241a_b.jpg

Clubhouse

26031158281_ae92988202_b.jpg

On 10 March 2016 at 11:53 AM, GR8scott said:

E. Beltline has got to be one of the most congested stretches in W. Michigan.  I can see it now, by the time MDOT finally gets around to adding a third lane, they're going to need a fourth.  What would be some alternatives?  Maybe a highway/beltline that cuts around Cascade/Forrest Hills/Ada?  Something tells me the people in those suburbs wouldn't let that fly.

I think another main road north might help but it'd probably end up too far out if they went East (Lowell)?

I personally think a good (but complex) option would be to finish what they started when they extended Jupiter across the river. They ended it at Plainfield, which seems like a horrible spot. If they could extend it further (maybe 4 mile and Beltline) that could reduce a lot of the northbound congestion up to Rockford. 

Joe