East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

200!  According to their event on Facebook:  "The first 200 people in line when HopCat – Knapp’s Corner opens will get a card good for a free order of Crack Fries every week for a year." 

I'm not sure that I will get there early enough to get those...   BUT they also have "FREE orders of Crack Fries all day."  That I will almost certainly take advantage of.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I know there is a need for assisted living and nursing homes, but I can't help but wonder if there will be that high of a need in 10 years when most of the baby boomers have died.

Also seems like they could fit waaay more than 300 apartments in there, the one down the road that they built had 248.  It would be nice to see low, mid, and high end on the same spot with some condos and houses.

13 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Interesting.  I know there is a need for assisted living and nursing homes, but I can't help but wonder if there will be that high of a need in 10 years when most of the baby boomers have died.

Also seems like they could fit waaay more than 300 apartments in there, the one down the road that they built had 248.  It would be nice to see low, mid, and high end on the same spot with some condos and houses.

For single family residential there with the value of the land being on one of the busiest corridors in the area makes it cost prohibitive. Unless you build $2 Million homes and those buyers don't want to live next to the Beltline in Northview School District. :) Even one story condos or 2 story townhouses won't work despite higher density.

Also a big chunk of the Eastern portion is undevelopable. Beautiful property but too much site work and ravines/wetlands from what I remember. Plus those aspects give the site character. 

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

For single family residential there with  the value of the land being on one of the busiest corridors in the area makes it cost prohibitive. Unless you build $2 Million homes and those buyers don't want to live next to the Beltline in Northview School District. :) Even one story condos or 2 story townhouses won't work despite higher density.

Also a big chunk of the Eastern portion is undevelopable. Beautiful property but too much site work and ravines/wetlands from what I remember. Plus those aspects give the site character. 

Ahhh that makes sense.  I was thinking this was FH schools.

5 hours ago, Dj Augustine said:

The open house is this Tuesday from 4 to 6.  There are 2 projects planned, the north half has 300 luxury apartments in 30 buildings, and the south half is planned for assisted living.

Seems like it could be a good fit. Assisted living might be lighter traffic volume and not gum up the works like a big box store or retail development would. 

Joe

39 minutes ago, tSlater said:

Is it easy to converted assisted living into general purpose residential?

Not the assisted living centers I've been in. They'd remind you more of a dorm than a condo or apartment building. Most only have a room with a bathroom attached, no kitchen. Everyone eats at central cafeterias. Although maybe in 20 years that might catch on as first-time housing for young people? 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Not the assisted living centers I've been in. They'd remind you more of a dorm than a condo or apartment building. Most only have a room with a bathroom attached, no kitchen. Everyone eats at central cafeterias. Although maybe in 20 years that might catch on as first-time housing for young people? 

Maybe they could be converted into dorms for Kuyper College across the street, provided that college grows quite a bit over the next 20 years (which I don't think is too likely.)

17 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

You underestimate how long we boomers intend to hang around.  I'm one of the older boomers and I will only be eighty-one in ten years and I plan on still being here and posting on this forum.  I'll probably just make even less sense and ramble more than I do now.   

Edited by walker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Have we discussed this? I found a bunch of these renderings on boards in the trash at my work.

IMG_20180911_103425.jpg

Interesting. That does appear to be the Sunshine Church property. Why are they calling the apartments Watermark though? That's going to cause a lot of confusion in the marketplace (there are a bunch of condos and townhouses in the Watermark Country Club community). 

Good thing I barely have to use the East Beltline anymore. Oy!  :) 

Yes, traffic, light pollution, noise pollution, further "deforestation", reduction in property value (maybe?).

We used to be able to sit outside and see tons of stars.... these days we can maybe see a couple dozen?  With the development of the Spectrum Health BIC on the corner, the new apartments just south of that (Springs at Knapp's Crossing), and the Knapp's Crossing development, you can see clear across to the East Beltline from Dunnigan now.  There's a constant "glow" in the sky at night from all the street lamps.  After the removal of all those trees, a lot of the East Beltline traffic noise makes it further east to the homes so it's not quite as quiet and peaceful anymore.  

1 minute ago, EEKris said:

Yes, traffic, light pollution, noise pollution, further "deforestation", reduction in property value (maybe?).

We used to be able to sit outside and see tons of stars.... these days we can maybe see a couple dozen?  With the development of the Spectrum Health BIC on the corner, the new apartments just south of that (Springs at Knapp's Crossing), and the Knapp's Crossing development, you can see clear across to the East Beltline from Dunnigan now.  There's a constant "glow" in the sky at night from all the street lamps.  After the removal of all those trees, a lot of the East Beltline traffic noise makes it further east to the homes so it's not quite as quiet and peaceful anymore.  

All valid points. But as a city grows, so too does the need to move further out if you want to enjoy nature, the night sky, and little noise. Eventually, that's what my wife and I will do when we've built up enough equity in our home. I'm also honestly amazed that it took this long for development to take place in this area. 

5 hours ago, EEKris said:

Pretty sure I know what neighborhood you're in, and no offense, but you bought a home less than a quarter mile from one of the busiest traffic corridors in the metro area. I mean... c'mon, did you think it would revert back to a dirt road again at some point in the future? I remember the apple orchard on the Northeast corner of the Beltline and Knapp, and the old schoolhouse on the Northwest corner. And remember the lone gift shop that was right around where Noodles and Company is now? Baskets in the Belfry maybe? Ahhh, memories. :)

Anyway, if you do live in the neighborhood that I'm thinking, residents in the area fought long and hard to keep it from being built (i.e. you were going to hurt their property values, particularly Mason Lake Estates residents). 190 homes in multiple phases back then seemed huge. I was there when the public hearings were going on. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, droonus2000 said:

Flowers of the Fields. I’m still in my late 20’s and I remember when that was the only thing around there, and when the Knapp’s Corner Meijer opened. Things change, that area has grown quickly, but it probably should not have taken as it has for it to happen, given growth patterns.

That's it! I remember that place too.  Used to ride up the beltline from the SE Side north of the river nearly every day all summer every summer as a kid growing up.  It held on for a bit after Meijer went in.   I remember they kept horses right there too.  Anyway, I am nearly certain, but could be mistaken, that the Flower's of the Fields was one of the first spots to get developed post the "new" meijer, and that carwash is what went in.  

Reflecting back, that area sure has developed in fits and starts.  I guess that's what a lost decade does to a city

EDIT: Went and checked the records-- Meijer was built in '99; celebration and the car wash in '01

Edited by discgrab21

9 hours ago, droonus2000 said:

Flowers of the Fields. I’m still in my late 20’s and I remember when that was the only thing around there, and when the Knapp’s Corner Meijer opened. Things change, that area has grown quickly, but it probably should not have taken as it has for it to happen, given growth patterns.

That's right! My wife used to love that store.