East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

Cue the Darth Vader music from Star Wars. OMG... evil Wal-mart... the world will surely end.

I just read yesterday that it looks like Plainfield Twp killed the Robinette's rezoning for a Wal-Mart at 4 Mile before it was even presented. That's stealthy. :ph34r: That's two big fat NO's to Wal-Mart in the Grand Rapids area. Despite the approval on Alpine, hopefully they're starting to think we're not "Wal-Mart friendly".

I just read yesterday that it looks like Plainfield Twp killed the Robinette's rezoning for a Wal-Mart at 4 Mile before it was even presented. That's stealthy. :ph34r: That's two big fat NO's to Wal-Mart in the Grand Rapids area. Despite the approval on Alpine, hopefully they're starting to think we're not "Wal-Mart friendly".

While intended to be a clear signal regarding the 4 Mile site, I don't know that we'd be as opposed if WalMart proposed a regentrification of the Northtown Plaza site at Plainfield and I96...

While intended to be a clear signal regarding the 4 Mile site, I don't know that we'd be as opposed if WalMart proposed a regentrification of the Northtown Plaza site at Plainfield and I96...

The Northtown Plaza site is zoned commercial. If the site was big enough WalMart could go there even if there was opposition.

What a waste. Waste of space, of land, of gas, of bricks, of air.

I long for a developer that is creative :huh: and doesn't feel that the greatest thing will be to have another mall in the middle of a cornfield. (I should say, i know those exist, but this one sure isn't one of them.)

Just imagine if the developer put all the stores into vacant properties downtown, creating an even stronger viable retail destination, bringing in the people that don't care that much about the independents. Of course, there's the huge parking problem downtown. Not enough parking!!! Better look somewhere else. How about a cornfield. (sigh)

-end rant-

I long for a developer that is creative :huh: and doesn't feel that the greatest thing will be to have another mall in the middle of a cornfield. (I should say, i know those exist, but this one sure isn't one of them.)

Just imagine if the developer put all the stores into vacant properties downtown, creating an even stronger viable retail destination, bringing in the people that don't care that much about the independents. Of course, there's the huge parking problem downtown. Not enough parking!!! Better look somewhere else. How about a cornfield. (sigh)

-end rant-

There's no cornfield at 3 Mile and Beltline. Most of it is an unused vacant lot surrounded by some pretty beat up 1950's era homes. However, there is a nice wooded ravine area at the South end that would be nice if they'd work around.

Retailers like the ones they're putting in here do not want a lone parcel in an urban setting, unless it's a major city. They want to go where there is an excellent chance for success, and even then they have to be dragged into it, and only if 49 of their other retail friends are doing the same thing. As much as I am optimistic about GR, I'm also not living in lala land (OK, sometimes in lala land just for fun, but obviously not seriously).

There's no cornfield at 3 Mile and Beltline. Most of it is an unused vacant lot surrounded by some pretty beat up 1950's era homes. However, there is a nice wooded ravine area at the South end that would be nice if they'd work around.

Retailers like the ones they're putting in here do not want a lone parcel in an urban setting, unless it's a major city. They want to go where there is an excellent chance for success, and even then they have to be dragged into it, and only if 49 of their other retail friends are doing the same thing. As much as I am optimistic about GR, I'm also not living in lala land (OK, sometimes in lala land just for fun, but obviously not seriously).

Well, yes, I'm aware there's no cornfield. It just kind of aches to see the same old sh... stuff going in the same old places. I think it is possible, feasible, and not that unreasonable to believe that a developer could finagle an urban infill deal. I suppose that wouldn't make them as much profit though, would it.

Well, yes, I'm aware there's no cornfield. It just kind of aches to see the same old sh... stuff going in the same old places. I think it is possible, feasible, and not that unreasonable to believe that a developer could finagle an urban infill deal. I suppose that wouldn't make them as much profit though, would it.

You can't force retailers to go where they don't want to go. It's not all on the developers.

Anyways, back to this particular development, your rant has to do with more than just this development.

You can't force retailers to go where they don't want to go. It's not all on the developers.

Anyways, back to this particular development, your rant has to do with more than just this development.

I agree that you can't force them to locate where they don't think they can make money, however this design is a glorified mall with auto traffic lanes instead of walkways.

Additionally, the vast parking lots with minimal landscaping islands does not make it inviting. One thing that would have been beneficial would be proactive in terms of public transportation, multiple story parking structures that also contain mixed use opportunities, and promoting improved pedestrian access from the residential to commercial locations.

It would have cost more, but it would also open up more space for potential commercial or office occupants.

I have to agree. These lifestyle centers are just a silly attempt at creating the same mall fluff just with a pretty "Main Street" in the middle. As long as you stay on that street, the fantasy works great. Turn off an any direction and welcome back to asphalt acres. It could have been better designed with some sort of hidden parking structure(s) instead of the monster sized lots, which would have left more room for additional structures, creating more density. But that would assume that these guys really cared about such things.

Would never happen (not in the near future anyway). So no reason to rant.

Joe

-end rant-

• 2 months later...

Anyone know when the start date on this will be?? I know this will be in Grand Rapids township but the fate that its about 10minutes from downtown Gr i think is as close as this type of retail will get down there. Will there be any anexation like with celebration village on this project?

No talks of annexation. It was supposed to start in February, but the last I read they are scheduled to break ground "this spring". :dontknow: They were very non-committal when I talked to them a couple of months ago, and at the time, the township had not received any applications for permits yet.

The Crate & Barrel is (yawn) to me. Like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware at Rivertown, sure it looks cool, but I've never bought anything there. I'd rather go to places like Art of the Table.

The Crate & Barrel is (yawn) to me. Like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware at Rivertown, sure it looks cool, but I've never bought anything there. I'd rather go to places like Art of the Table.

Art of the Table doesn't really compare to Crate and Barrel. There's plenty of room in a house for stuff from each of those stores. And I can prove it ;)

Art of the Table doesn't really compare to Crate and Barrel. There's plenty of room in a house for stuff from each of those stores. And I can prove it ;)

Crate & Barrel at "the Village" (yaawwwnnnn) :D

Now if it were going downtown, that'd be something to get excited about (just because it'd be a huge shot in the arm).