East Beltline Developments

GRDadof3

Crate & Barrel at "the Village" (yaawwwnnnn) :D

Now if it were going downtown, that'd be something to get excited about (just because it'd be a huge shot in the arm).

I love CB - I wish they had a CB2 store - or if that will be incorporated in anyway

I love my CB2 catalogs (www.cb2.com)

Looks like CB2 is only in chicago - darnitall

Their buildings look cool on their site though

Edited by blueradon

Crate & Barrel at "the Village" (yaawwwnnnn) :D

Now if it were going downtown, that'd be something to get excited about (just because it'd be a huge shot in the arm).

Don't you know, we do not want these kind of national chains cluttering up our downtown. We are saving space for the huge influx of candle shops and art galleries. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I added the little .... to show D&W Fresh Market. I think it's a little different from a standard D&W.

The difference is that it's going to be the first one built by Spartan Stores, I believe. Also, I thought it was closer to a formal announcement rather than vague rumor and was reported on both televised news and the GR Press last year.

The difference is that it's going to be the first one built by Spartan Stores, I believe. Also, I thought it was closer to a formal announcement rather than vague rumor and was reported on both televised news and the GR Press last year.

Nothing has been formalized yet for the entire development. The developers themselves have not even had a press conference or press release announcing ground-breaking, official tenants or expected opening. All the news stories have included the words "proposed" and "approved". The development was approved by the township, and the effort to have it overturned in last Fall's elections was defeated, so they have full approval.

They have brought CBL Properties in to the picture to help move the spaces (as the mall manager I think), but then again they're competing against Trademark Properties and Urban Retail Properties on the Walker project. In addition, Walker has the potential draw of Cabela's, a proposed movie theater, and a potential waterpark resort. If you're one of these tenants like Abercrombie & Fitch or Crate&Barrel, which project are you going to pick? The demographics are more desirable in the Northeast/East quadrant, but the potential vehicle traffic is greater in Walker. :dontknow:

Nothing has been formalized yet for the entire development. The developers themselves have not even had a press conference or press release announcing ground-breaking, official tenants or expected opening. All the news stories have included the words "proposed" and "approved". The development was approved by the township, and the effort to have it overturned in last Fall's elections was defeated, so they have full approval.

They have brought CBL Properties in to the picture to help move the spaces (as the mall manager I think), but then again they're competing against Trademark Properties and Urban Retail Properties on the Walker project. In addition, Walker has the potential draw of Cabela's, a proposed movie theater, and a potential waterpark resort. If you're one of these tenants like Abercrombie & Fitch or Crate&Barrel, which project are you going to pick? The demographics are more desirable in the Northeast/East quadrant, but the potential vehicle traffic is greater in Walker. :dontknow:

So you're still of the opinion that both of these don't get built? Sure seems that way as high-profile tenants picking between the two that's how it'll play out.

So you're still of the opinion that both of these don't get built? Sure seems that way as high-profile tenants picking between the two that's how it'll play out.

Let me just start by saying I'm not a retail real estate expert, but if you look at their (Village of Orchard Hill's) market study of the area, they seem to assume that the Walker development has a much smaller primary trade zone than I would estimate. They basically show the Walker village as having a trade zone of Alpine Township, Comstock Park, parts of the city of Walker and up through Newaygo. Maybe the market study was done before the Cabela's announcement.

http://www.rbaikens.com/RBA/Portals/0/RBAI...marketstudy.pdf

Personally, I think Grand Rapids can probably sustain one of these villages, with Woodland and Rivertown staying as they are. If both get built with similar tenants that are currently available at Woodland plus tenants new to the market, Woodland will go the way of North Kent mall IMO. They'll have to tear it down and "redefine" it.

Anyone else think we can sustain four large retail complexes, one in each quadrant of the metro?

It's also interesting that they show Ramco Gershensen in their market study, with their downtown retail development (Area 4/5).

From what I've seen come down the company news wire, Spartan Stores has every intention of building a new "D&W Fresh Market" (yes, thats what they all are called now) within this complex. The only way it doesn't happen is if the entire project somehow folds. They've even gone as far as making it publically known. This will be the first new D&W built with the company now under Spartan ownership. It will be the prototype design and look for all future D&W's Spartan will construct. To the same token this is the first newly built D&W in quite a while. I couldn't even tell you when the last brand new store (new building, new site, new market) was actually constructed....maybe Portage in the mid to late 90's. Most of the other stores were either acquistions, remodels, or relocations.

Grand Rapids has made the big time! This means that upscale retailers have faith in the GR area. I expect more to come.

Imagine how much more it'd do for the city if they put H and M, Anthropologie, Crate and Barrel, and the like downtown, rather out in suburbia.

Plus, who'd want to live on a parking lot - i'd never buy a condo there.

I couldn't even tell you when the last brand new store (new building, new site, new market) was actually constructed....maybe Portage in the mid to late 90's. Most of the other stores were either acquistions, remodels, or relocations.

Are you sure about that? The one in Caledonia looks pretty new, in a newer strip mall. Certainly seemed less than 10 years old.

Imagine how much more it'd do for the city if they put H and M, Anthropologie, Crate and Barrel, and the like downtown, rather out in suburbia.

Plus, who'd want to live on a parking lot - i'd never buy a condo there.

I live downtown. Do you? I will travel the 5 miles to go to Crate and Barrel.

Are you sure about that? The one in Caledonia looks pretty new, in a newer strip mall. Certainly seemed less than 10 years old.

The Caledonia D&W, along with the strip it is in was renovated/expanded last year. I'd guess that it was originally built in the early 80's.

The Caledonia D&W, along with the strip it is in was renovated/expanded last year. I'd guess that it was originally built in the early 80's.

Yep, that store was renovated. They finished it not too long before the big sell. The store, as I've been told, was a lot smaller than it is now.

I was bummed when things hit the skids the summer before the Spartan buyout because my store in Jenison was slated to be remodeled as well but it never came to fruition and now it continues to operate in its sub-standard conditions. Little has been invested in it b/c its slated to be closed and merged with the Georgetown store. However while Spartans intentions are rather well known, they have yet to even approach the township about there plans or even seek a re-zoning. I'm not sure the township is going to be crazy about building yet another new shopping plaza on perfectly good baseball diamonds especially since not only will it increase traffic and alter the character of the rural/residential planned location but will also leave the township not one but two vacant grocery stores in already suffering commerical districts.

But back to the topic....I have a prof who lives close to Orchard Hills and she is rather exited about the whole project because she will have a grocery store that isn't Meijer in close proximity. Not to mention all the other retail and dining opportunities.

But back to the topic....I have a prof who lives close to Orchard Hills and she is rather exited about the whole project because she will have a grocery store that isn't Meijer in close proximity. Not to mention all the other retail and dining opportunities.

I'm sure there are a lot of people looking for an upscale alternative to Woodland. The effort to stop the development went down in the defeat by 60%+ by Grand Rapids Township residents.

Here are just a few comparisons as to how big this development will be. If you're familiar with that corner, there's a large empty field on the Southeast corner with houses toward the back along 3 Mile and Dunnigan, a gas station on the Northeast corner, and Universal Forest Products on the Northwest corner. The field, the houses on 3 Mile and on Dunnigan, and about 300 yards of wooded area going South of the field will be clear cut when this thing gets rolling.

The existing field is the lighter colored topography on this aerial. Notice the main South drive into the development on East Beltline is right in the middle of the existing wooded area. D&W Fresh Market (the largest Southerly anchor) also sits in the middle of the now wooded area.

422041169_16d0740381_o.jpg

Here is a zoom out of the site plan. The gray boxed area is townhomes that have been added to the original plan to meet the township's requirements.

422041154_b67a52064f_o.jpg

Using the exact same scale on Yahoo Beta Maps, this is the size and what Woodland Mall would look like if dropped on the opposite corner. The green area highlighted is the existing empty field.

422041130_5d52257f2b_o.jpg

It's about as big as Woodland if you chopped off Sears, JCPenneys and Macy's.

I'm not sure township residents really realize how big this will be, but if it's going to be built in this area, East Beltline is probably the logical choice.

Despite my earlier lack of enthusiasm for Crate&Barrel, it does show growing interest from retailers that aren't here now.

• 2 months later...

There is an update on Chris's site about this project.

"Half of the Village of Orchard Hills at Three Mile Road and the East Beltline has been sold to a big retail development company, CBL & Associates Properties Inc. The press release indicates a fall start date for construction and an opening date of spring of 2009."

The complete article is on Mlive.com:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/knapescorner/

I still wish retail of this size would set up shop in a downtown location ^_^

Edited by DwntwnGeo

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the site plan was updated a few days ago. http://www.rbaikens.com/RBA/Portals/0/RBAI...-Lease36x48.pdf. Dave & Busters in. Crate & Barrel out. This place is looking more and more like a glorified, outdoor RiverTown Crossings. Whatever happened to upscale?

The developer had claimed that these site plans were just "what if's," but who knows. They were supposed to have a major department store ala Nordstrom as a part of this development. This has Dave and Buster's in that "Major A" space that was reserved for the department store.

Looks like they have added a two story office building and more restarants too.

Edited by mpchicago

Looks like the site plan was updated a few days ago. http://www.rbaikens.com/RBA/Portals/0/RBAI...-Lease36x48.pdf. Dave & Busters in. Crate & Barrel out. This place is looking more and more like a glorified, outdoor RiverTown Crossings. Whatever happened to upscale?

Crate & Barrel out. That too bad, my wife won't be happy about that.

The developer had claimed that these site plans were just "what if's," but who knows. They were supposed to have a major department store ala Nordstrom as a part of this development. This has Dave and Buster's in that "Major A" space that was reserved for the department store.

I don't know that it was ever going to be a Nordstrom (not big enough?), but it may have been a Belk's or Parisian. I noticed Coach is out too, and a few more junkety stores like Adidas, Granite City Brewery, Champs Sports, Lucky Brand Jeans, Hyde Park Steakhouse, (can East Beltline have any more restaurants?), etc. are in. Yawwwnnn. Maybe there is hope for downtown after all.

I do know that Nordstrom was being considered. A few months ago, I e-mailed both Aikens and Nordstrom and received mutual confirmation of their ongoing discussions. Aikens was eager to get Nordstrom. The Nordstrom rep informed me that they were concerned about lackluster sales at the Centrepointe Nordstrom Rack and about the Michigan economy in general. Maybe in 3-5 years, I was told.