Tallahassee Entertainment

97preludesh

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An entertainment idea with Gaines Street is a great idea, but we have to consider the audience. We have a lot of college students, and their idea of entertainment is different from the "grown folks".

Basically, the mainstream college entertainment place-to-be is the Tennessee Strip. I think it would be hard for them to abandon "The Strip" for another place like Gaines Street. And I seriously doubt a "grown and sexy" 30s couple would mix and mingle with them.

So..........we can try to have two entertainment districts. This is possible, as Tally grows. We can have the Strip, which with more investment, could be a great catalyst in Frenchtown's revivial (whatever that might be). The Strip would remain the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights.

Then, we can have the possibility of Gaines Street, which would be geared to a different audience, geared more to locals and the mature folks. It would be like Atlanta, for example, which has multiple districts. People there don't just club in Buckhead, they also go to Virginia-Highlands and Little Five Points.

An entertainment idea with Gaines Street is a great idea, but we have to consider the audience. We have a lot of college students, and their idea of entertainment is different from the "grown folks".

Basically, the mainstream college entertainment place-to-be is the Tennessee Strip. I think it would be hard for them to abandon "The Strip" for another place like Gaines Street. And I seriously doubt a "grown and sexy" 30s couple would mix and mingle with them.

So..........we can try to have two entertainment districts. This is possible, as Tally grows. We can have the Strip, which with more investment, could be a great catalyst in Frenchtown's revivial (whatever that might be). The Strip would remain the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights.

Then, we can have the possibility of Gaines Street, which would be geared to a different audience, geared more to locals and the mature folks. It would be like Atlanta, for example, which has multiple districts. People there don't just club in Buckhead, they also go to Virginia-Highlands and Little Five Points.

Agreed. I like your ideas JPL! :thumbsup: I too feel it would probably be in our best interest to establish another entertainment district. Gaines Street has the greater potential to cater to a more mature audience considering its location between the universities, the downtown, and Doak Campbell Stadium and it also being a main route from Downtown to the Airport.

As we see the lofts and condos built in the All Saints District, and the new money invested along this sector I'm going to gamble and say the number of 30-40 yr old residents in the area will increase. Already the warehouse spots along Gaines draw a more mature crowd with the poetry bars and what-not. Can't you see this as an attractive location for us to move the Downtwon Getdowns, and for adults to mingle up and down the road on the weekend of home games between the stadiums and the downtown?

It's going to be wonderful when the Residence Inn is completed... I'm sure that will catalyze some beautiful new construction.

EDIT: Not to mention the draw it will have for those here on convention staying at the Marriott Convention Hotel. They'll see the lights and want to join the fun.

Disagree completely. Look at 6th street in Austin or Franklin Street in Chapel Hill as proof that 2 districts is not needed and more than likely, not possible.

I don't think Tally is capable of making an entertainment district regardless. I just think they will screw it up. First, they put a low rent hotel on the prime spot on Gaines street. They could of put the new arts center there instead....nope...they messed up. I have zero hope that COT will make any ent. a success, let alone 2.

I think some may argue that we've already got a thriving entertainment district along Tennessee street, be it unattractive, it thrives.

Gaines Street to some degree has a bit of entertainment in it also. Remove some of the outdated, blighted buildings along the road, put in some housing, food, bars, and clubs. I'd say down near Doak where ABC liquor used to be we could do a drive in theatre with a bridge over the street like they have in Broward on Sunrise and we've got another thriving district.

What about the Residence Inn makes it a drawback in the creation of an entertainment district?

I think some may argue that we've already got a thriving entertainment district along Tennessee street, be it unattractive, it thrives.

Gaines Street to some degree has a bit of entertainment in it also. Remove some of the outdated, blighted buildings along the road, put in some housing, food, bars, and clubs. I'd say down near Doak where ABC liquor used to be we could do a drive in theatre with a bridge over the street like they have in Broward on Sunrise and we've got another thriving district.

What about the Residence Inn makes it a drawback in the creation of an entertainment district?

That piece of land was arguably the prime spot in this district. The cornerstone of the area that sends a message about what it is to be.....and a run of the mill hotel is not something that folks will come from all around to go see. It is simply a non starter.

6th street in Austin or Franklin street in Chapel Hill are college town hangouts that also attract out of towners, local young professionals, and even locals. But they both attract folks with $$...which is frankly what it takes to make the area attractive and something you will be proud of.

But ABC Liquors, low rent hotels, fast food places, etc like you have on Tenn. don't make it an entertainment district in the vain of what the high level officials are thinking.

The term often used I think is something like like a desired destination....Tally needs to build one. The area near the state capital has that going on sometimes (where the Downtown getdown is on Friday before FSU football games)....but it is too small.

You need a whole street like Gaines with cafe's, bars with live music, brick paved sidewalks, trees, etc. Tally just doesn't get it and too often just sells out to any average bidder (like the hotel I mentioned above...nice, but nothing that will make the area a 'destination').

Hell....I would love to be wrong....but I would put down a grand I am not going to be. But you get decent local politicans....not the kind we get in Tally....and just about any could turn the area between 2 major universities and a state capitol into the kind of place with awesome restaurants, cafes, live music joints, art galleries, etc, etc......

One can only dream....but I bore of dreaming...I prefer making it happen.

I think its coming.... I have seen the stagnation of development my whole life, but i see and feel it chagne. I think its new times in tally. I think our local politicians are transitioning nicely. 5 yrs and we will all be wishing all this develpment wasnt here. ((i will be teh one passed out on the 2nd floor of a club on gaines)).

So there's a difference between desired destination and entertainment district as you noted.

For the sake of conversastion, Tennessee Street west of Macomb is an entertainment district.

Adams Street South of the DoubleTree North of City Hall is a desired destination.

It is my hope that we will be able to turn this whole city into a desired destination, starting with the entire downtown. Kleman Plaza to me is a desired destination, the area surrounding the Tennyson will soon become a desired destination where people will flock to dine and sit outside at a sidewalk cafe drinking coffee, enjoying a news paper, using their computers under Tallahassee's Digital Canopy.

Gaines Street has the potential to be that and more. People living in proxmity to their jobs and schools and sure restaurants and cafes will of course me more pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks. Jazz Clubs would be a great fit for the area around the all Saints District and closer to Cascades Park. Meanwhile libraries, poetry bars, and more eclectic hang-outs could hightlight the landscape between Railroad and Doak Campbell Staidum (DCS).

If I close my eyes now I can picture the making of Tallahassee's most colorful street. Which is why I think the Residence Inn is a great fit for the corridor. Its a good gateway building. I also think it would be awesome to have at the end of the road a drive in movie, where the CEMEX Plant, and ABC Liquor store used to be (corner of Gaines and Lake Bradford). We could have our own little version of a Swap Shop right there. I think thats what would make a lively urban neighborhood... and I think visitors would love it...

And I also agree with you on the local politican thing. I could go all day on this, but I work for the city so I'm gonna keep my thoughts inside!

I enjoyed the drive inns in tampa... but that is alot of prime acreage. I think if a stadium is built on the site of the IM fields, then some of the surface parking could be "leased" during none- game times for a drive-inn so that we can get as much outta these areas as possible. I thought of a drive in by 90/I-10, but the accessibility would be better near the hub rather than the rim. Is there any innovations to these drive-ins? Multiple story garage style? Call up delivery movie snacks? If we do anything, i want it to be improved or we havent done anything!

Sure... the Drive Inn I went to at the Swap Shop in Broward has 15 screens or more. I think its the neatest thing for people to bring back popular retro entertainment... this would go well with the whole revitalization thing.

Personally, I'm actually not all that excited about another stadium being built in this area... I think the concept of a theatre of sorts would go well here, and a stadium better near cascades park, in place of old centiennial field.

Yeah absolutely... I figure once the people are in place all of the "extras" will fall in.

What many people fail to realize is we will se an instant difference in Gaines Street once the city begins the road work. Both Gaines and the Parallel road will be affected, and the buildings the city has purchased, and continues to purchase will be demo'd.

I should probabaly post the renderings again as they show the potential the street has after the road work is done.

It was said before that the Gaines Street Renderings were generic and not specific to Gaines Street... this couldn't be further from the truth, just for clarification purposes. They were drawn and designed for Gaines Street, within the City of Tallahassee, in the State of Florida... just my little disclaimer for all doubters... here they go...

From these we can throw ideas back and forth on what could occupy the district.

post-3748-1131071837.gif

post-3748-1131071851.gif

post-3748-1131071865_thumb.jpg

post-3748-1131071893_thumb.jpg

post-3748-1131071905.gif

post-3748-1131071837.gif

post-3748-1131071851.gif

post-3748-1131071865_thumb.jpg

post-3748-1131071893_thumb.jpg

post-3748-1131071905.gif

Ah, yes. I know these renderings all too well......two of my professors presented them to the class :D

It's unclear whether Gaines Street is going to remain 4 lanes undivided. They could turn it into a 2 lane, 2 way street with parking on both sides, or into a one-way street. I don't like the one way street option.

One thing that would be a major draw would be shopping. I'm thinking something along the lines of "minature" outlet stores. In South Florida, we have "Main Street" in Miami Lakes which is a huge, and very successful pedestrian mall. I'd like to draw from Main Street to see what Gaines Street should have:

Multiscreen Theater

Various restaurants (fancy, casual, casual-fast)

Specialty shops & boutiques

Business offices (realtors, CPAs, etc)

A list of Main Street amenities can be found here:

http://www.miamilakesshopping.com/mainstreet.htm

I may be a little biased, but that's the only pedestrian oriented entertainment district I've been to.

I like that idea also.

I've been thinking about this... and I think Tallahassee could probably go Palm Tree on Gaines from Rail Road to Lake Bradford, right down the median... seperating the traffic.

I think we start our own little tropical thing on this road... since the look lends itself to colorful, and lively buildings, ground floor retail and entertainment.

I'm just thinking the Palms would give the area a distinct feeling, which could probably go well for a Lake Bradford makeover also.

Slowing down the traffic will definaely boost the entertainment potential. I've seen a strip in Broward along the Atlantic cost where the road is one lane each direction seperated by landscaped medians... there was shopping on one side of the road and of course a coast line on the other.... but what struck me most absout the area was the fact that no one seemed to be bothered about slow moving traffic, everyone was admiring all of those people shopping at ground level shops and restaurant.

Archived