Hino to Put Truck Plant in Marion in 2007

mcheiss

I don't have any exact info, but I was watching some AETN and got the impression that there was some grant money going to east Arkansas for training for jobs in the auto industry. Governor Huckabee was talking about how it could help bring in more industry for eastern Arkansas, particularly for the Marion area.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

More news on Marion today. There's an article in todays' Arkansas Democrat Gazette about the EPA creating the first Clean Air Economic Development Zone in Crittenden County. Without this Marion pretty much wouldn't have been able to try to bring in a major automaker into the area because of the problems of air quality in nearby Memphis.

• 7 months later...

Hino Motors is to hold a ceremony today to mark the start of production at its east Arkansas plant at Marion.

The Marion plant will make axels and other parts for the Toyota Tundra pickup truck. Hino will employ at least 200 people in Crittenden County, with the hope of more jobs to come in the near future. There has also been much speculation that the Japan-based company will build a truck assembly plant in Crittenden County in the future.

awesome news for East Arkansas....

That's sounds great. Finally they get something to help the eastside of the state. One day more jobs will come to other cities and counties on this side of Arkansas. Then people would like to live anywhere in the state of Arkansas. That's one thing that would attract people to this great state.

I wonder how many of the employees will be from Tennessee and Mississippi. I'm glad the auto industry is taking off there but I'd rather have seen something like this in struggling communities like Pine Bluff or Blytheville.

I'm sure quite a bit will be from the Memphis area. Perhaps with the new Nucor plant specializing in automotive steel announced recently in Memphis this will mean big things in store in the near future, perhaps in Marion or elsewhere in the larger regional area. In reviewing this thread, I wonder what kind of steel the Blytheville Nucor plant produces?

I'm sure quite a bit will be from the Memphis area. Perhaps with the new Nucor plant specializing in automotive steel announced recently in Memphis this will mean big things in store in the near future, perhaps in Marion or elsewhere in the larger regional area. In reviewing this thread, I wonder what kind of steel the Blytheville Nucor plant produces?

Well, everyone is hoping the auto parts plant is a precursor to an auto plant. Everyone assumes one is coming at some point.

Well, everyone is hoping the auto parts plant is a precursor to an auto plant. Everyone assumes one is coming at some point.

Well...having 2 Nucor steel plants in 50 miles and a Toyota-subsidiary parts plant, would it be too much to hope for a Toyota? (Altho, didn't we lose out on that one?)

Crittenden lately seems to have had several large job announcements. I hope they can really take off. A healthy Crittenden would definitely benefit Arkansas and west Tennessee.

Well...having 2 Nucor steel plants in 50 miles and a Toyota-subsidiary parts plant, would it be too much to hope for a Toyota? (Altho, didn't we lose out on that one?)

Crittenden lately seems to have had several large job announcements. I hope they can really take off. A healthy Crittenden would definitely benefit Arkansas and west Tennessee.

Toyota chose to build their truck plant in San Antonio instead of Marion largely because of the allure of selling "Texas-made trucks" to Texans. The way Toyota is growing right now, though, I think Toyota will be building multiple plants in the U.S. over the next decade.

It seems like a lot of pieces are falling into place in preparation for a major announcement. It's too bad that Cummins decided not to place a diesel engine plant in the mid-south region, although they already have an existing facility in Memphis. But we're getting a number of other auto-related projects. Hopefully it's just the start of great things to come for the TAM region...

• 1 month later...
Along the same lines Osceola's one of 3 finalists for a steel plant that would employ 3000. The other sites are Louisiana between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and Mobile, AL. I think it looks good for Arkansas as Louisiana's legislature voted down their incentive package.

Along the same lines Osceola's one of 3 finalists for a steel plant that would employ 3000. The other sites are Louisiana between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and Mobile, AL. I think it looks good for Arkansas as Louisiana's legislature voted down their incentive package.

The legislature did not give her everything she wanted, but among the things it okayed - at the last minute - are a $75/per child tax credit, insurance reimbursement for homeowners, and a $300 million fund for the steel mill. Your links are out-of-date. Read today's Baton Rouge Advocate.

Other things like payraises and road funding did indeed fail, but the incentive for the steel mill did not.

"The House did agree to:

* A bill that offers relief to homeowners for insurance costs that soared after hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

* A tax credit that would allow parents to claim $75 per child on their state income taxes.

* A $300 million infrastructure fund to convince a German company to build a steel mill in St. James Parish."

• 6 months later...

Didn't Alabama receive steel mill? Anybody know? Seems like I remember reading that not long ago.

Not sure what Marion can due that it hasn't already to land more in its industrial efforts. Its a great area on paper for more large scale industrial operations,; it just seems to have luck break against it when it comes down to the wire. Hopefully it will just be a matter of time though before luck breaks in its favor and Marion lands the large scale industrial operation(s) it's seeking.

Didn't Alabama receive steel mill? Anybody know? Seems like I remember reading that not long ago.

Not sure what Marion can due that it hasn't already to land more in its industrial efforts. Its a great area on paper for more large scale industrial operations,; it just seems to have luck break against it when it comes down to the wire. Hopefully it will just be a matter of time though before luck breaks in its favor and Marion lands the large scale industrial operation(s) it's seeking.

What sort of auto-assembly plant located in a less than 200K pre-built facility? That read weird. I am not sure what level of production this plant will/can have, or what sort of employment numbers. Most new spec buildings that I know of are in the 100K range, with designs for expansion built in, this pre-exisiting facility is not much bigger than one of those and no word on plans or ability of this facility to be expanded.

Also, the Hino spokesman makes it sound as beyond the West Virginia announcement and any future ones, that what they are indicated towards locating an assembly plant in Marion is not mute. So what Marion is beind considered for in the future may potentially be bigger and better than what West Virginia and possible future sites may land. All the mixed signals may have to do with seeing how smaller production facilities they establish due and how the market for the products they produce go over, perhaps leading to the construction of a larger scale facility down the line.

Anybody know how the Hino facilty in Marion is doing? Any news reports on any issues with production, workforce quality, etc?

Archived