Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

vdogg,

Yes, ODU will be not only getting a hotel, but two of them. First hotel will be built at 46th St. and Hampton Blvd that connects with the new parking deck that will be completed in mid-summer 2006. Then after that new hotel, the second hotel will be built along the south parking garage of the convocation center. Not only will the hotels be welcome for visitors to ODU, it will also be welcome for schools from the CAA that ODU is playing. Currently, the CAA schools are complaining of lack of hotels in the ODU campus and they have to drive far away to find a suitable hotel to fit their needs. Two hotels on ODU campus will bolster the university's image and open more opportunities for more money to be brought in. Good news for ODU. :thumbsup:

After reading this article I have zero doubt that the Hilton will be built.

:lol: They said this in February too. "Plans for a Hilton hotel in downtown Norfolk could be announced within the coming weeks." I think it will be built, but I'm not holding my breath for an announcement.

It's not that statement that leads me to have no doubt about the Hilton. It's the extremely high demand for hotel space in the CBD.

And as for the scarcity of land downtown for hotel development, is the downtown plaza not being offered to these hotel developers? That seems to be quite a bit of land for all types of development. Maybe the city has something more than just a court complex in the works for that patch of land.

I keep seeing/hearing that there is not much more land to build on in Norfolk.

This brings me to a pretty good question, What are some places that is still accessible to build?

I know for sure there are too many free standing parking garages around DT. There is one on montecillo(sp?), Main st., and a few all around the 264 interchange corridor. These all seem to be places where Norfolk could demo. these garages and put up towers. What do you think?

Any other spots that you guy/girls know?

Edited by Greekboy80

Well, immediately what comes to mind is DT plaza and that land on St. Pauls that was indicated for a possible 35-40 story tower. For them to indicate there is a scarcity of land means to me that there must indeed already be stuff in the works for those sites. I wonder what they could be? :unsure:

I guess that its time to start looking harder at sites on the other side of Brambleton Ave. As its been said before, Granby Tower should be the catalyst to spur new development on the north side of Brambleton. There is a good deal of parking lots and buildings that could use a visit from the wrecking ball in that general area. Maybe there could also be some land available in the redevelopment of Ft. Norfolk. True, these areas are not close to the downtown core as hotel developers would like, but its all that the city has to work with at the present time.

I think that this is all coming down to seeing the end of Tidewater Park and Youngs Park sooner than we expected.

Edited by Seven Cities

We might not hear anything until they release next years city budget. Hopefully a arena will be in that budget too! :whistling:

Bah, no reason to waste money on an arena. There are far more interesting things that can be done with that money, and should be done with that money. Where is the new court building being placed exactly? Are there any renders of it yet?

IMHO they should tear-down or replace the Scope. I think they should put a modern facility there or just tear it down and use it for something else.

An arena should be high on Norfolk's list IMO. Norfolk deserves a much better arena....one that can hold a pro hockey/basketball team if one should come. I think we can leave Scope as it is.....I'm not sure what other uses it could serve though.

arrrg sorry this is off-topic, but i still can't read the Pilot articles online! does anyone know why they might not be loading? They won't even work on my computers at school...and I've tried alternate browsers like Opera. :(

I haven't had any problems on my end. Perhaps trying emailing them to get some help.

Bah, no reason to waste money on an arena. There are far more interesting things that can be done with that money, and should be done with that money. Where is the new court building being placed exactly? Are there any renders of it yet?

:rolleyes: Whatever! Well I live here and don't plan on moving and pay taxes to the city of Norfolk and I know we need a arena. It should be very high on their list!

IMHO they should tear-down or replace the Scope. I think they should put a modern facility there or just tear it down and use it for something else.

Dude, I've been on that boat since 93'. The Scope is a sad excuse for an Arena. They should have demo'd. that a long time ago. Its pretty bad when the local University has a better Arena than the city that you live in.

There is sometimes a difficult tension between function and aesthetic beauty. They don't always work together and Scope is a good example of an undersized building that nevertheless makes an impressive architectural statement, at least to many people with some exposure to architectural and engineering concepts.

I like the Scope. It is unique and and does add to the cityscape. I have often thought under the arena, there is some convention space. When a new arena is built, why not turn scope into all convention space. All that would need to be done is take out the arena and put in a new floor. Then there will be three levels of convention space. Plus, the area of the plaza outside the Scope can be redeveloped to have a new highrise host hotel for the Scope Convention Hall.