Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

• 5 weeks later...

The Konikoff's are one wealthy dentistry family around here.

They'd have to be to afford rent compensating for 18 units sitting empty.

I don't remember hearing office/medical as part of the original plans for this building, which is why it's funny to me. For this project to still be going on, after almost three years is absurd. There's 1 unit sold, and now commercial space leased to make up for failing sales. At this stage they'll take anything to help pay their financing off. Get what you can in today's market, but this is an indicator of just how far downtown's market has fallen.

By the way, the dentistry sign has been up for well over 6 months.

They'd have to be to afford rent compensating for 18 units sitting empty.

I don't remember hearing office/medical as part of the original plans for this building, which is why it's funny to me. For this project to still be going on, after almost three years is absurd. There's 1 unit sold, and now commercial space leased to make up for failing sales. At this stage they'll take anything to help pay their financing off. Get what you can in today's market, but this is an indicator of just how far downtown's market has fallen.

I don't remember hearing office/medical as part of the original plans for this building, which is why it's funny to me.

Retail was a part of the plan from the beginning

VIRGINIA, Norfolk County, Norfolk VA

FRANKLIN CONDOMINIUM COMPLEX, includes
retail

conversion of office building, 220 West Brambleton

stories: 3, sq. ft.: N/A

....................................................................... $9,000,000+

DESIGN/BUILD: Mark Barr Contractor, c/o Tim Almer

757 627-2181 Fax 757 627-2190

228 West Bute Street, Norfolk, VA 23510

There is a new mixed use project going before design review on March 24th. Very short on details but the location puts it smack in the middle of downtown.

Preliminary Review Projects

a.

Downtown Certificate of Appropriateness

i.

439 Granby Street, new mixed use building

This project goes up for final review today. Still no details but the location and skinniness of the lot probably means they'll have to tear down the adjacent structure. This may wind up having some height to it. I'm hoping we'll hear something come out of the meeting tonight. Also 767 granby street goes up for preliminary review for "new construction" today. I have no idea what this is so don't get too excited. I'm not even sure what's at that particular location.

Now this is interesting. 767 Granby is just north of brambleton, in an area that has been rumored to have development coming for several years now. Maybe things are starting to move forward. Hopefully it's something significant enough to serve as a catalyst for more development north of Brambleton.

possiblemixed.jpg

Now this is interesting. 767 Granby is just north of brambleton, in an area that has been rumored to have development coming for several years now. Maybe things are starting to move forward. Hopefully it's something significant enough to serve as a catalyst for more development north of Brambleton.

possiblemixed.jpg

Well, I scoped out the location and there is no 767 Granby street. There are 2 builindgs attached to eachother that are addressed 763 and 765 but no 767. Perhaps they will be demolished and the building that replaces them will be labled 767? More likely though is it is the building across the street. It is addressed 776 (prob a typo) and used to house Zed jewelers (up til very recently). That property is now boarded up and prime for redevelopment. Hopefully we can get some more info on this.

Well, I scoped out the location and there is no 767 Granby street. There are 2 builindgs attached to eachother that are addressed 763 and 765 but no 767. Perhaps they will be demolished and the building that replaces them will be labled 767? More likely though is it is the building across the street. It is addressed 776 (prob a typo) and used to house Zed jewelers (up til very recently). That property is now boarded up and prime for redevelopment. Hopefully we can get some more info on this.

Do you mean the auction place? If so, I thought that was a lease space. Nevertheless, it's a pretty large space, and redevelopment there would make a huge impact.

Do you mean the auction place? If so, I thought that was a lease space. Nevertheless, it's a pretty large space, and redevelopment there would make a huge impact.

I was told years ago about a project just north of Brambleton that I mentioned something about on this site (perhaps in this thread) but nothing panned out. I came to the conclusion that it fell victim to the slowing economy and housing market since I could never get any more info on it. I'm really wondering if it's starting to take shape (albeit in altered form, the retail component might not be as big). That's why i'm so interested in what this may be. The planning commission meeting has come and passed and there's nothing in the news yet, but it's definitely new construction, meaning something north of brambleton is getting torn down. It only makes sense that it may be the building that has been recently vacated and boarded up.

I was told years ago about a project just north of Brambleton that I mentioned something about on this site (perhaps in this thread) but nothing panned out. I came to the conclusion that it fell victim to the slowing economy and housing market since I could never get any more info on it. I'm really wondering if it's starting to take shape (albeit in altered form, the retail component might not be as big). That's why i'm so interested in what this may be. The planning commission meeting has come and passed and there's nothing in the news yet, but it's definitely new construction, meaning something north of brambleton is getting torn down. It only makes sense that it may be the building that has been recently vacated and boarded up.

I remember hearing something about the people that are building the Hampton Inn using a piece of land down there for a parking garage. Is it possibly related to that?

767 Granby goes up for it's downtown development certificate on Thursday. This will be an office building. No word on scope or height so best not to get anyones hopes up. Could be anywhere from lowrise to Highrise but it is new construction that will require the demolition of some structures so I have my fingers crossed that it is something significant. Remember, this is the area immediately north of Brambleton over by the pawn shop and Zedd jewelers.

767 Granby goes up for it's downtown development certificate on Thursday. This will be an office building. No word on scope or height so best not to get anyones hopes up. Could be anywhere from lowrise to Highrise but it is new construction that will require the demolition of some structures so I have my fingers crossed that it is something significant. Remember, this is the area immediately north of Brambleton over by the pawn shop and Zedd jewelers.

Any new office space is a plus for that area.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I noticed a new sign selling converted condo units at the Hotel Madison building. I thought this was on hold at one time, but maybe not.

Was it a new sign or the sign on the Freemason St side of the building? This project was originally supposed to be condos but had virtually zero interest and then changed to office space last i heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah you guys beat me to it. I was walking to work (or were we walking back from lunch?) and I noticed the sign had changed from Condos to "Class A Office Space" on the Madison hotel building. There was active construction going on. I have to say, I really like that building and think it will be nice to see it in use.

On the other hand, this whole rush to "Class A office space" is dumb. All the buildings are doing the home treatment, new carpet, new paint, and granite countertops in the bathroom to call themselves class A. Then they want really high rents for these huge luxuries. Not every company wants to spend $22/sqft annually for granite countertops and stainless steel sinks in the bathrooms. There is still a need I'm sure for cost effective office space for businesses that aren't all about image.

Is there a glut of downtown office space? Sure are a ton of for sales signs.

Edited by Telmnstr

Ah you guys beat me to it. I was walking to work (or were we walking back from lunch?) and I noticed the sign had changed from Condos to "Class A Office Space" on the Madison hotel building. There was active construction going on. I have to say, I really like that building and think it will be nice to see it in use.

On the other hand, this whole rush to "Class A office space" is dumb. All the buildings are doing the home treatment, new carpet, new paint, and granite countertops in the bathroom to call themselves class A. Then they want really high rents for these huge luxuries. Not every company wants to spend $22/sqft annually for granite countertops and stainless steel sinks in the bathrooms. There is still a need I'm sure for cost effective office space for businesses that aren't all about image.

Is there a glut of downtown office space? Sure are a ton of for sales signs.

People must be renting it because they wouldn't keep building it or renovating it to class A space.