Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Someone has plans to redevelop the 800 block of Granby into refurbished commercial space. There is a sign up with a rendering and I believe the development will encompass the whole block from Olney to Wilson.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...207692307692303

Alright fantastic.... let's get some redevelopment north of brambleton....the area bounded by Duke, West VB Blvd, Monticello & Brambleton definitely needs some work.

I have always thought that part for Granby has alot of potential of being a great urban neighborhood downtown...plus it really feels like it still has the original downtown street grid that Norfolk use to have. The old Zedds building would be a great building to renovate into a restaurant and bar, then build a mid rise apartment building on the parking lot that is on that same block on the south side of the building.

I could really see that area taking off with a good little development push like that. Hopefully this renovation project will help put that section of the city in the right step to start making that kind of move.

I have always thought that part for Granby has alot of potential of being a great urban neighborhood downtown...plus it really feels like it still has the original downtown street grid that Norfolk use to have. The old Zedds building would be a great building to renovate into a restaurant and bar, then build a mid rise apartment building on the parking lot that is on that same block on the south side of the building.

I could really see that area taking off with a good little development push like that. Hopefully this renovation project will help put that section of the city in the right step to start making that kind of move.

There are flooding issues in that part of town which complicate renovation. I know that some are being required to raise floor levels as part of any significant renovation. This was the case with the at least one former owner of the old AAA at the corner of Grace and Boush and I suspect the reason half of it was removed. Often, redevelopment is the only option. That said, it's great to see it happening.

Someone has plans to redevelop the 800 block of Granby into refurbished commercial space. There is a sign up with a rendering and I believe the development will encompass the whole block from Olney to Wilson.

Wasn't that the spot where the Hoffler Tower was supposed to be built (not to be confused with the Armada Hoffler Tower in Va Beach)?

I think Rus or VDogg would remember it. Anyone remember that proposal?

Wasn't that the spot where the Hoffler Tower was supposed to be built (not to be confused with the Armada Hoffler Tower in Va Beach)?

No, the Hoffler Tower was supposed to go over by church street. There was an earlier, non public, proposal for that area though that had to do with a large retail development. Guess that never came about though.

I happened by the site today. I think this is new construction on the narrow corner lot and that the elevation on the sign is the Wilson St. facade. I remember seeing some drawings for this several months back, but can't recall just where.

Like Vdogg said it was on church street...it was suppose to be built across from the post office

After further review of the 2020 Plan, I have to say I am really in love with a few ideas the city has come up with. They have really embraced the idea of TOD, urban infill, and streetscape connectivity. Each LRT station has it's own style of developments increasing the economic stability of downtown. They plan on creating a new office tower district on Waterside and St. Paul's. Approx. 5-6 new office buildings in the "new district".A new tower on the third anchor lot and the Greyhound lot, also some mixed use tower on brambleton closer to the hospital. I think that would be so awesome.

Government Center Station:

The station is in the middle of a

new Civic Green for the City. On

one side, the new Courthouse will

create a landmark along St. Paul’s

Boulevard. On the other, City Hall,

now more visible, creates a dramatic

terminus for Main Street and marks

the edge of a new office district that

extends to Waterside Drive.

MacArthur Station &

Slover Library: The Station is the

center of a public Market Square

with caf

Edited by varider

There are flooding issues in that part of town which complicate renovation. I know that some are being required to raise floor levels as part of any significant renovation. This was the case with the at least one former owner of the old AAA at the corner of Grace and Boush and I suspect the reason half of it was removed. Often, redevelopment is the only option. That said, it's great to see it happening.

thats right I forgot about the flooding, I remember it would get really bad at the VB intersection whenever there was a heavy rain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A developer is proposing to build a 22 unit apartment complex on the current site of a waterfront single family home near ODU at the intersection of Killam Ave and 51st Street but first needs zoning approval from the city.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/norfolk-co...change-near-odu

I say go for it, that area should be high density residential and most of the housing back there has no historic significance. If the neighborhood doesn't want it then they can form a co-op and buy the property from the developer and turn it into public space.

DEEEEEE-nied! 5000+ signatures on a petition will cause some councilmen to actually think about what they rubber stamp. :yahoo:

Norfolk council to reverse Highland Park zoning

DEEEEEE-nied! 5000+ signatures on a petition will cause some councilmen to actually think about what they rubber stamp. :yahoo:

Norfolk council to reverse Highland Park zoning

Wow another nimby neighborhood league that gets everyone to sign petitions by misrepresenting the project and using scare tactics. If you want to live in some neighborhood with huge lots in the suburbs move away to NC and let Norfolk develop into a city. I would bet that should Decker reapply after the elections, they will rezone it again.

The petition signers should join together to buy the property and build the candy mountain they want on it. ODU will probably end up taking it and building dorms on it anyway.

The lot was zoned the way they wanted it before. The council changed the zoning to please ONE person, without considering the character of the neighborhood. 5 story apartments with way too little parking shouldn't fly in a neighborhood that is zoned for single family dwellings. The property will now go from one house to six houses. That is more dense. And by the way, that was 5000 valid signatures, not just a few NIMBYs. That was as many signatures as the Ocean View park petition got.

Edited by jeffconn

This is a great victory for residents of the city. This was a case of a developer and well connected lawyer trying to cram a development on a neighborhood against the wishes of the majority and both of their Council Reps. All this decision means is that the developer will be restricted to the zoning that was in place when he bought the property.

I just thought I should mention that that the civic league sat in front of the Naro on Colley all day on Saturday. Getting signatures from everyone who walked by. You can draw your own implications from that but I witnessed it. I choose not to sign, but I did look at his info.

This does sound promising! Yahoo Maps says It's in Fort Norfolk a couple blocks off Brambleton on the waterfront.

Oh, this might be the second phase of Harbors Edge :whistling:. Man, this is the first real news we've had in a year. Maybe the economy is starting to turn around a bit. :)