Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Closest thing I see to that intersection is that surface lot (the big one not the fort norfolk plaza lot). Waterfront view, no way that's not going to be a highrise.

Waterfrontmixeduse2.jpg

What is the second phase? Obviously more interesting than a one use retirement home. Mixed use, huh?

Could be. They've had a second phase in the planning stages for that location for a few years now, but the economy tanked and I heard no more about it. There's even a thread for it here somewhere.

I guess I'd just assumed that it was canceled altogether. Gives me some hope for Rivers Edge at Berkeley too.

I guess I'd just assumed that it was canceled altogether. Gives me some hope for Rivers Edge at Berkeley too.
That's one I'd really like to see get built! Even though it is isolated across the river, that would give downtown an extension in a new direction. With that, and hopefully some type of development along the river towards Harbor Park, that area would really alter the appearance of Norfolk's waterfront!

This area is going to have it's own skyline eventually.. Let's rid these surface lots. I'm looking forward to figuring out what this "waterfront mixed use" development is. Hopefully something goood and tall. I mean it must be good, It's within walking distance of the train station.

Wasn't that Rivers Edge @ Berkley going to be Norfolk's tallest building? Boy if all of those proposed buildings were built Norfolk would have an amazing skyline.

Edited by varider

That's one I'd really like to see get built! Even though it is isolated across the river, that would give downtown an extension in a new direction. With that, and hopefully some type of development along the river towards Harbor Park, that area would really alter the appearance of Norfolk's waterfront!

It would look so cool with the Rivers Edge skyline, Downtown, P Town, and Fort Norfolk all along the water.

APPROVED

EDWARD MCCULLOUGH, for the following applications:

a.

For a Change of Zoning from I-4 (Waterfront Industrial) district to conditional D-5 (Waterfront Mixed Use) district on property located on the southwest corner of Riverview Avenue and Southampton Avenue, property fronts 255 feet, more or less, along the western line of Riverview Avenue and 81 feet, more or less, along the southern line of Southampton Avenue, premises numbered 139 Riverview Avenue. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow for the construction of a mixed-use development.

b.

For a Special Exception for Off-Lot Parking on property located on the northwest corner of Southampton Boulevard and Riverview Avenue; property extends 514 feet, more or less, along the western line of Riverview Avenue and then continues northwardly 287 feet, more or less, along the western line of Brambleton Avenue; premises numbered 301 Riverview Avenue

Edited by varider

APPROVED

EDWARD MCCULLOUGH, for the following applications:

a.

For a Change of Zoning from I-4 (Waterfront Industrial) district to conditional D-5 (Waterfront Mixed Use) district on property located on the southwest corner of Riverview Avenue and Southampton Avenue, property fronts 255 feet, more or less, along the western line of Riverview Avenue and 81 feet, more or less, along the southern line of Southampton Avenue, premises numbered 139 Riverview Avenue. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow for the construction of a mixed-use development.

b.

For a Special Exception for Off-Lot Parking on property located on the northwest corner of Southampton Boulevard and Riverview Avenue; property extends 514 feet, more or less, along the western line of Riverview Avenue and then continues northwardly 287 feet, more or less, along the western line of Brambleton Avenue; premises numbered 301 Riverview Avenue

That would be the Fort Norfolk project. Was walking down there the other day, there's so much potential down there to turn into something with a Norfolk Town Center vibe. they could do so much with the area along the river.

That would be the Fort Norfolk project. Was walking down there the other day, there's so much potential down there to turn into something with a Norfolk Town Center vibe. they could do so much with the area along the river.

Are you positive?? Is it it the same location? Would they just now have approved the change in zoning once the building is almost completed?

Are you positive?? Is it it the same location? Would they just now have approved the change in zoning once the building is almost completed?

Yep that is the Fort Norfolk development....all you have to do is google that area and its right at the Ft Norfolk plaza development

Part A almost seems as if it could be describing something else. Fort Norfolk Plaza should be North of Southampton Ave not South. Fort Norfolk Plaza is the 301 Riverview Ave address. Could it be something else that shares a parking garage with Fort Norfolk Plaza?

Edited by mikeas

Part A almost seems as if it could be describing something else. Fort Norfolk Plaza should be North of Southampton Ave not South. Fort Norfolk Plaza is the 301 Riverview Ave address. Could it be something else that shares a parking garage with Fort Norfolk Plaza?

When you walk by it, that's the only property they can mean. Unless they decide to knock down the Krisp Pack warehouse. The only other property at that intersection is a medical building just built a few years ago and the property for Ft. Norfolk they're currently building on.

The address is 139 Riverview Ave.

It is the piece of property directly south of Fort Norfolk Plaza. You can see this on the City of Norfolk Parcel Mapper website.

It appears to currently be a large commercial/warehouse type building.

Owned by Riverview Realty Corp

GPIN: 1427495375

http://gis.norfolk.gov/pis/parcels/

It appears to currently be a large commercial/warehouse type building.

Yeah, that's the Kris-Pak warehouse. Is that the address that we're saying was approved for mixed use?

*edit* Yeah looks like it is. That'd be a great step forward in improving that area. I wonder what they have planned.

Edited by Ghentite

Yeah, that's the Kris-Pak warehouse. Is that the address that we're saying was approved for mixed use?

*edit* Yeah looks like it is. That'd be a great step forward in improving that area. I wonder what they have planned.

That is the address/parcel that comes up on the city GIS. Hopefully they know the correct address. :rolleyes:

This can't be Fort Norfolk Plaza.. You must have approved change of zoning before you can start construction..

There is a project going before Norfolk city council from the exact same guy for the princess anne road area where it looks like he is planning to put warehouses. Seeing that things are happening at the same time I would assume he's planning to move his warehouse location from the waterfront to Princess Anne, thus clearing the way for development of that land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the mystery is finally over and we were all wrong. :lol: I guess I was hoping for something far more major but i'll take what I can get.

Fort Norfolk apartment conversion

Just some things I found amusing out of the article...

"The building boom in apartments also has brought lower rents and higher vacancies."

Perhaps there are more vacancies...since noone can afford the ridiculous prices...but...has anyones apartment rent actually dropped? The one I lived at the past 2 years before moving into Norfolk increased by about 10% each year...

"For the building on Princess Anne Road, the developer hopes to target graduate students at Norfolk State University and young professionals, said Tom Dana, one of the current owners of that building."

Right...if I was a young professional...princess anne road near NSU would be my first choice of places to live...give me a break...

At least they're building something I suppose.

Just some things I found amusing out of the article...

"The building boom in apartments also has brought lower rents and higher vacancies."

Perhaps there are more vacancies...since noone can afford the ridiculous prices...but...has anyones apartment rent actually dropped? The one I lived at the past 2 years before moving into Norfolk increased by about 10% each year...

"For the building on Princess Anne Road, the developer hopes to target graduate students at Norfolk State University and young professionals, said Tom Dana, one of the current owners of that building."

Right...if I was a young professional...princess anne road near NSU would be my first choice of places to live...give me a break...

At least they're building something I suppose.

I mean, put it into perspective here....Urban center (supposely), LOTS of unmanaged and bad neighborhoods. With that in mind and thinking Norfolk, were could you go and really AFFORD it?

I guess that would be my rebuttal, with LIVING in Norfolk in mind.

Well, the mystery is finally over and we were all wrong. :lol: I guess I was hoping for something far more major but i'll take what I can get.

Fort Norfolk apartment conversion

Is there something I'm missing here? Where is the mixed use element in all of this? All I see is one use, renovated apartments! But look on the bright side, it's more potential LRT riders.. more people living near the center of the city.. and an abandoned building brought back to life..

edit:it doesn't say these will be overpriced apartments, i bet if they build something that people can afford, people might actually fill up the renovated apartments.

Edited by varider

Is there something I'm missing here? Where is the mixed use element in all of this? All I see is one use, renovated apartments! But look on the bright side, it's more potential LRT riders.. more people living near the center of the city.. and an abandoned building brought back to life..

edit:it doesn't say these will be overpriced apartments, i bet if they build something that people can afford, people might actually fill up the renovated apartments.

These actually sound like great little projects! Has anyone seen their other work in Portsmouth?