Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

She's along the lines of the VB people that say "the Norfolk element"... she hates cities, period. I LOVE CITIES, PERIOD. It's an interesting mix.

My parents moved all the way to the bottom of Chesapeake and they hate the city too! My wife unfortunetly is a suburban woman and I'm a urban dude so we had to settle with the north side of the city. She knew she couldn't pull me out of Norfolk! :D

The footprint there is not that large and its attached to the monticello arcade.

The footpring is bounded on all four sides by streets (Bank, Atlantic, City Hall, & Plume). When I looked at the satelite image of the site, the library and parking lot behind it take up as much of a footprint (if not more so) than may of Norfolk's tallest buildings.

This would be a perfect opportunity for Norfolk to build some join partnership building that would be taller than what they are planning. They should combine the HRT HQ and a library (with the library on the top 5-6 floors, heh heh) to give us something truly unique. Retail and transit stop on the first floor, HRT on floors 2-12 and a library and additional TCC classes on floors 14-20. I know that is dreaming, but still it would be better than an 80's looking box for HRT.

Another idea that would be very cool would be to just take the whole 6 story building on Granby that has the TCC library in the ground floor and mezzanine and turn the whole thing into a library. The TCC classes could be relocated to the new building or further up to the bus station (which would be better located in Wards Corner).

And as for the Kirn, that beast needs to go down. And fast. It is a hugely inefficient building that underutilzes a valuable spot. If it looked like the Customshouse or the Federal Courthouse, then it would be worth the money that would have to be spent to bring it up to modern standards. Preserving something like that is a slap in the face to all the old and wonderful treasures that have been lost in Norfolk's history. We're a city that seems to pride itself in bulldozing history so why change now? Especially over that dump...

Edited by JPN0731

I'm sure that the city could have some influence with HRT to have a taller building at the Kirn site. With the posibility of more office space needed, the city could do something!

Maybe or maybe not. Are they going to give some money to construct the building. It also depends if HRT wants to own the building and maybe they don't have the budget to add floors and that is why a 12 story building is being constructed

Maybe or maybe not. Are they going to give some money to construct the building. It also depends if HRT wants to own the building and maybe they don't have the budget to add floors and that is why a 12 story building is being constructed

Just a brainstorming daydream here. But we really have a chance to create a signature building here. The way the LRT runs through the property we could build a triangular shaped building that is taller, say maybe 20 - 25 stories completely away from the LRT but then build as part of the building where the LRT runs through a sort of food court type development that would compliment the mall next door. It woul be one building of course, but instead of building this squatty monster over the entire property, it would slim down the tower portion, and still provide a tunneled effect and would probably be very succesful with in indoor type food court.

Just a brainstorming daydream here. But we really have a chance to create a signature building here. The way the LRT runs through the property we could build a triangular shaped building that is taller, say maybe 20 - 25 stories completely away from the LRT but then build as part of the building where the LRT runs through a sort of food court type development that would compliment the mall next door. It woul be one building of course, but instead of building this squatty monster over the entire property, it would slim down the tower portion, and still provide a tunneled effect and would probably be very succesful with in indoor type food court.

I'm really surprised that they are running it through a building with all the terrorist threats now adays. Maybe that is why its only 12 stories???? :huh:

Correct me if i'm wrong but this is on the west side of i-64 where the marina and restaraunt and small motel are located correct? If so, has the land been bought and fisherman's warf gone out of business?

Yes it is the one when you come across from Hampton. Its suppose to be 6 stories and was orginally suppose to be 10. Wish it was still 10 stories.

FYI,

The bid for site demolition to make way for The Spectrum at Willoughby Point is out and is due by 12-15. The project will feature 327 condos and 22,000 sq. ft. of retail space.

Here is a rendering of the project (hope you can see the link)

Link

Hey Willy, is there an actual website for this project yet? Also, a more general question, do you guys want this project to have it's own thread?

I don't know if anyone is aware of this or has posted it somewhere else but, in what will only fuel the need for a new office tower in the near future, Virginia Natural Gas has officially moved in 150W. Main yesterday. They are occupying around 10,000 sq ft of space in that tower. Vacancy rates for Class A space was already well below 10%, I wonder if this new occupancy has us real close to 5% or perhaps lower.

Here are two properties that I found that are for sale in downtown Norfolk. The first one would be a great building to convert into lofts. The second building would be a great place to build a tower.

C/O Granby & Tazewell St. = $2.5 million

74C2C323-E980-43FA-86B9-F1A0D650DED2_or.jpg

93771ED5-C58A-447F-B712-6579637EFA0B_or.jpg

717-719 Boush Street (Between Olney & Brambleton) = $1.5 million

749FC261-816A-442E-B728-C468C18E07CB.jpg

Here are two properties that I found that are for sale in downtown Norfolk. The first one would be a great building to convert into lofts. The second building would be a great place to build a tower.

C/O Granby & Tazewell St. = $2.5 million

74C2C323-E980-43FA-86B9-F1A0D650DED2_or.jpg

93771ED5-C58A-447F-B712-6579637EFA0B_or.jpg

717-719 Boush Street (Between Olney & Brambleton) = $1.5 million

749FC261-816A-442E-B728-C468C18E07CB.jpg

That second lot looks kinda small for a large tower. Is there a parking lot next to it?