Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Is ADP’s actual headquarters here, or just a branch? If not, we need to work on a full incentive package now to expand and relocate. We need to have at least 500 people in que  before NS leaves. I feel like we waited far too long to fight this. How was this so sudden?

• Like 1

I think the city took NS for granted, which ties into its status quo problem. I don't know when the Atlanta branch opened, but I'd think Norfolk should've felt some heat for a few years. Playing it safe finally came back to haunt them.

If I'm Mayor Alexander and the economic development office, I'm working hard to lure any potential company in the future, and offering the same incentive package they offered NS. Also, try and get a couple other city councils involved and make them realize Norfolk isn't the only one losing out here. This is the first chance for this region to show it can work together. That encouraging jobs report just basically canceled itself out because of this.

Also start looking into getting a tech company here, or a fiber company. That's one thing downtown lacks IMO, outside of the startups.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vdogg said:

Is ADP’s actual headquarters here, or just a branch? If not, we need to work on a full incentive package now to expand and relocate. We need to have at least 500 people in que  before NS leaves. I feel like we waited far too long to fight this. How was this so sudden?

ADP just has a branch here with one execitive, some VP of something, if I'm not mistaken. 

This has to wake up our region just because it was in downtown Norfolk doesn't mean there aren't serious lingering affects for the rest. We as a whole need to work hard to attract more flights, carriers, and make room for the airport to get the second runway. The region needs to get it's act together and fast yes we had a great economic report this year but the reason for that it because of increased gov't spending so when that stops we're right back to where we were. The leaders have to work together and attract a large company(f500 or 1000) to HQ preferably in downtown.

• Like 2

Unfortunately Urbanlooker, I don't think we will see any of this happen in our lifetimes. VB and Norfolk fight over an outlet mall entrance for heavens sake. VB won't tie into the LR because of the "bad element" coming to their glorious city.

Zero unity + zero teamwork = zero progress.    

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Willy18 said:

Unfortunately Urbanlooker, I don't think we will see any of this happen in our lifetimes. VB and Norfolk fight over an outlet mall entrance for heavens sake. VB won't tie into the LR because of the "bad element" coming to their glorious city.

Zero unity + zero teamwork = zero progress.    

I wish it was a way for Richmond to step in and say "enough is enough" and merge the cities. The Chamber of Commerce and even former Governor McCauliffe said the area needs to work together. Cities they've visited like Nashville and Pittsburgh said we need to work together. The residents (well, most of them) say we need to merge. But the people who can make the call would rather twiddle their thumbs. It's like the baby boomers intentionally hold us hostage, even though they're in the minority. And it's only going to get worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BFG said:

I don’t hate the design, I just want it to be taller. This area has the potential to be an extension of downtown, and needs a little variety to match the second phase of the senior high rise. 

I get that, but districts like this have to start somewhere and usually it is with the 4-5 story buildings to build up the bones for an urban district. Though it would be nice to see some form of retail space incorporated into the development because that is how you begin creating a street life in these types of places to help increase demand for bigger developments.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the area by Northside Park and have been wondering about two construction projects. It seems that they have just been pushing dirt around for a year with not much progress. Does anyone have any info? The (estimated ) addresses are:

• 8226 Tidewater Drive
  • 8440 Tidewater Drive (on corner of Norman Ave.)

Any insight?

4 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

I live in the area by Northside Park and have been wondering about two construction projects. It seems that they have just been pushing dirt around for a year with not much progress. Does anyone have any info? The (estimated ) addresses are:

• 8226 Tidewater Drive
  • 8440 Tidewater Drive (on corner of Norman Ave.)

Any insight?

8226 Tidewater appears to be a residential development built by Meadow Green Builders

8440 Tidewater is owned by Hollomon-Brown  but the site looks more like a staging ground for work being done elsewhere.  Any utility projects going on nearby?

14 hours ago, 23320 said:

8226 Tidewater appears to be a residential development built by Meadow Green Builders

8440 Tidewater is owned by Hollomon-Brown  but the site looks more like a staging ground for work being done elsewhere.  Any utility projects going on nearby?

If 8226 is residential, it must be a condo type building with parking on the first floor since the curbed concrete driveway goes toward the back.

8440 has been an empty lot for years. It has four or five old driveway entrances which means houses used to be there but it has been cleared since I moved to the neighborhood 5 years ago. As far as utility projects, I have no idea. They have just been pushing around dirt on that sight for a year!

And speaking of Tidewater Drive in the same vicinity, I wish something more can be done with 8300 Tidewater Drive (corner of Tidewater/Sheppard Ave.). It used to be a gas station but it currently a garden club that meets a couple of times a month but the parking lot and structure is an eyesore.

I’ve been seeing signs for a new development called Westport on Granby, and it’s advertised as being a mile from the base. I know this is Tidewater Drive, but maybe this is it? I can’t find anything about Westport except for some vague pricing details. 

Never mind. Their Facebook says they haven't narrowed down a location, just that it will probably be somewhere near Talbot Park.

Edited by BFG

Ryan Homes - Westport off Granby

I thought their map was weird since the area they pinpoint doesn’t seem to have clear spot for this type of development. Kind of weird that they’re advertising it without a site identified. Either way, Ryan Homes is nothing to get excited about. 

8226 would definitely seem to be some kind of townhouse development. The Google image I was looking at showed at least 8 sewer tie-ins being installed. 

Edit:  I did a little more digging on Westport and it’s probably going to be behind the Watermark at Talbot Park. There’s some more land back there and one of the new streets is named Westport Street. 

Edited by 23320

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BFG said:

Ummm....not so fast? Norfolk Southern has given Atlanta City Council until Monday to figure out something with a development in ATL.

https://pilotonline.com/business/ports-rail/article_77a192b6-dd58-11e8-a5b6-c792dd65c226.html

If we pull this off we need to sit down and have a talk with them and give them everything they need to stay here.

48 minutes ago, NFKjeff said:

I have read that the entire idea of NS consolidating their HQ in ATL is supposed to be a cost cutting move to bolster their reputation in that regard and thereby raise their stock prices. I believe it is more about them getting a cash windfall by the sale of a valuable piece of land at the expense of ATL taxpayers.

That last sentence explains why ATL residents are pissed, and why Norfolk is not bending over backwards. Makes sense. 

• Like 1