Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

I am afraid the library is at the bottom of the city's development list. Unless TCC puts up a good number for funding to put something in closer to the college.

I would love to see someone like Zaha Hadid to design a library for the city. That would be one of the coolest libraries in the US. Hell it would be a tourist attraction even, if the right architect was on board, it would do wonders for the city.

I am afraid the library is at the bottom of the city's development list. Unless TCC puts up a good number for funding to put something in closer to the college.

I would love to see someone like Zaha Hadid to design a library for the city. That would be one of the coolest libraries in the US. Hell it would be a tourist attraction even, if the right architect was on board, it would do wonders for the city.

Something will happen soon with the library. Remember, the city is on board with the light rail and for light rail to be installed, that building has to come down.

Abandon Ship on Kirn Memorial

I'm glad to see the Virginian-Pilot seems to be really pushing for the replacement of the Kirn Library, but unfortunately they are less than optimistic about the prospects of getting a new central library anytime soon. Also, they are suggesting that a location outside of downtown be selected for the new central library (Ward's Corner?!) but I'm a little skeptical of the idea. My opinion is that the new library should stay downtown. I can't imagine TCC contributing to a library buit in Ward's Corner, and I think that TCC/Norfolk partnership on this will be it's greatest asset.

Edited by gosscj

Abandon Ship on Kirn Memorial

I'm glad to see the Virginian-Pilot seems to be really pushing for the replacement of the Kirn Library, but unfortunately they are less than optimistic about the prospects of getting a new central library anytime soon. Also, they are suggesting that a location outside of downtown be selected for the new central library (Ward's Corner?!) but I'm a little skeptical of the idea. My opinion is that the new library should stay downtown. I can't imagine TCC contributing to a library buit in Ward's Corner, and I think that TCC/Norfolk partnership on this will be it's greatest asset.

I agree that the partnership between TCC and the city would be a plus! It also needs to be DT!

I was surprised to see the Pilot editorial page pushing such a half-baked proposal as that. What also bothers me is the City's inability or apparent unwillingness to properly maintain the Kirn until they can build a suitable replacement. I can't for the life of me figure out why that would cost more than moving to a "temporary" facility. If they can't maintain a fairly typical building from the 1960s, imagine what trouble they'll have with a battleship from the 1940s. Maybe the library should just go inside the Wisconsin (just kidding).

Maybe they are neglecting the Kirn to justify moving out of it? Tomorrows headline: "Child dies after "War and Peace" topples from rickety shelves at Kirn"

Edited by Padman

I was surprised to see the Pilot editorial page pushing such a half-baked proposal as that. What also bothers me is the City's inability or apparent unwillingness to properly maintain the Kirn until they can build a suitable replacement. I can't for the life of me figure out why that would cost more than moving to a "temporary" facility. If they can't maintain a fairly typical building from the 1960s, imagine what trouble they'll have with a battleship from the 1940s. Maybe the library should just go inside the Wisconsin (just kidding).

Maybe they are neglecting the Kirn to justify moving out of it? Tomorrows headline: "Child dies after "War and Peace" topples from rickety shelves at Kirn"

:blink:

I e-mailed the city council about developments and the like and in case you all are interested, this is what they said:

"You also asked about certain vacant parcels of property in the downtown area. Each that you cited eventually will be developed, and developed in such a way as to contribute to downtown

Sentara leigh to add Kempsville campus

The property is zoned by the city of Norfolk as an institutional campus district and needed a campus master plan that was reviewed by the Planning Commission and approved by City Council. The details were outlined in a routine memo dated April 4 from city manager Regina Williams to the council.

Williams recommended approval of Sentara’s plan. She noted it was the first proposal of new construction planned within the location.

One large or two small physician office buildings are under consideration for the additional parcel in the future, said Hochman, as well as a freestanding emergency room, urgent care facility or women’s care center.

In this weeks design review meeting, the following items are up for consideration.

4. Private Projects

a. Newport Avenue, WaterMark; condo construction (preliminary review) *

b. 8141 Shore Dr., Harbor Walk; amendment (final review)

c. 4200 Llewellyn, Lafayette River Condos; condo construction *

(preliminary review)

I think we've discussed WaterMark and Harbor walk before but Layfayette River Condos is new, though I can't imagine it being anything too major.

I would suspect that it may finally be the land behind the old motel across from the Tanner's Creek project. Pete Decker nad some others have been looking to build residential units there for years

*and*

Ok, I think you're right and I think I even posted a rendering of them somewhere in this thread.

Items of interest for the April 27th planning commission docket.

5. SITE IMPROVEMENT, for the following applications on property containing 6.7 acres, more or less, that fronts 782 feet, more or less, along the western line of Llewellyn Avenue, beginning 280 feet, more or less, north of the northern line of Delaware Avenue and running northwardly. The property also fronts 520 feet, more or less, along the western line of Granby Street, beginning at the intersection of Granby Street and Llewellyn Avenue and running northwardly:

1. To amend The City of Norfolk Zoning Ordinance, 1992 as amended, Chapter 27, Planned Development (PD) so as to create the Lafayette Point Condominium Planned Development (PD - R - LPC ).

2. To change the zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) District to Lafayette Point Condominium Planned Development (PD - R - LPC). The General Plan of Norfolk, 1992, depicts the site as high density residential. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow the construction of a multiple-family development.

11. CAJE, for the following applications on property located on the northwest corner of Wood Street and Church Street; property fronts 436 feet, more or less, along the northern line of Wood Street and 287 feet, more or less, along the western line of Church Street; property also fronts 486 feet, more or less, along the southern and eastern line of Fox Street, and 99 feet, more or less along the southern line of Bute Street; premises numbered 555 Church Street (Parcels B-1 and B-2):

1. Amend The General Plan of Norfolk, 1992, from commercial/office to mixed use

2. For a change of zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) District to conditional D-3 (Freemason/Granby Conservation and Mixed Use) District. The purpose of the rezoning is to construct a mixed use building.

13. NORFOLK REDEVELOPMENT AND HOUSING AUTHORITY, for the following applications on property located on the northeast corner of Avenue A and Church Street; property fronts 110 feet, more or less, along the northern line of Avenue A and 130 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Church Street; premises numbered 1674 – 1690 Church Street:

1. Amend The General Plan of Norfolk, 1992, from medium density residential to commercial/office

2. For a change of zoning from R-11 (Moderate Density Multiple-Family) District to conditional C-2 (Corridor Commercial) District; the purpose of the rezoning is to allow construction of an office building.

^^^Item 11, Caje, is of particular interest due to it's church street location and the fact that it will be a mixed use building. It makes me wonder if this is in relation to the Hoffler Tower. At either rate, we should have a few announcements coming out at the end of April. :)

11. CAJE, for the following applications on property located on the northwest corner of Wood Street and Church Street; property fronts 436 feet, more or less, along the northern line of Wood Street and 287 feet, more or less, along the western line of Church Street; property also fronts 486 feet, more or less, along the southern and eastern line of Fox Street, and 99 feet, more or less along the southern line of Bute Street; premises numbered 555 Church Street (Parcels B-1 and B-2):

After looking at google earth, this address and location descripition seem to line up exactly with the Hoffler Tower. It looks like this project is definately moving forward and hopefully we'll have some new details out shortly. :)

I know this building very well, this is the building that my late father had his dental practice in. I believe the address was 555 Fenchurch St. He was instrumental in getting this professional building built in 1974. From what I have heard they have been looking for a buyer for this property for some time. Looks like the owners have finally found a buyer or they will redevelop the property into a mix use development.

Check out this new project map listed on Norfolk's development page:

http://www.norfolkdevelopment.com/INITIATI...elopmentmap.pdf

The City's page is trying to get up to speed... they're still confusing 388 Boush with Harbor Heights :lol:

thanks for that find! It's pretty detailed and comprehensive for a development map from a CITY. usually its us people that do stuff like that. :rolleyes:

Vdogg,

When and where did you find that AWESOME rendering of Fort Norfolk on the construction and projects thread? It's the first I've seen of street level renderings. That looks awesome, very dense and could be a very lively and active area. Definatley extends the downtown boarders. If developers utilize the old warehouse with the new buildings, it could become our Shokoe. :)