Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Here's a very informative PDF from the Norfolk Development website concerning all residential real estate under development in Norfolk, complete with nice renderings.

One interesting fact said that in 2005 there was estimated to be 3,568 people living downtown and that by 2010 they expect 4195. Not quite 5,000 but its still good.

Also, about the Hilton:

"Billionaire Robert L. Johnson, who founded

Black Entertainment Television, has partnered with

local developer William Fuller to build a 250-room,

25-story Hilton Hotel. Located in the heart of the

downtown waterfront on Main and Granby streets,

the $100 million project includes plans for a signature

restaurant, retail space and five stories of luxury

residential condominiums topping off the hotel.

About 50 residential units are proposed. The project

also will include a conference center and parking

deck that will be financed and owned by the city.

Construction is expected to begin in early 2007."

So, it appears that just the hotel is 25 stories and the condos are on top of that. So we are looking at a tall building here.

There is too much info for me to read now but go and read it when you have time!

Here's a very informative PDF from the Norfolk Development website concerning all residential real estate under development in Norfolk, complete with nice renderings.

One interesting fact said that in 2005 there was estimated to be 3,568 people living downtown and that by 2010 they expect 4195. Not quite 5,000 but its still good.

Also, about the Hilton:

"Billionaire Robert L. Johnson, who founded

Black Entertainment Television, has partnered with

local developer William Fuller to build a 250-room,

25-story Hilton Hotel. Located in the heart of the

downtown waterfront on Main and Granby streets,

the $100 million project includes plans for a signature

restaurant, retail space and five stories of luxury

residential condominiums topping off the hotel.

About 50 residential units are proposed. The project

also will include a conference center and parking

deck that will be financed and owned by the city.

Construction is expected to begin in early 2007."

So, it appears that just the hotel is 25 stories and the condos are on top of that. So we are looking at a tall building here.

There is too much info for me to read now but go and read it when you have time!

Sorry Okinawa but I think they are referring to the entire building being 25 stories.

Sorry Okinawa but I think they are referring to the entire building being 25 stories.

But it specifically says that there is a 25 story Hilton hotel with five stories of luxury

residential condominiums topping off the hotel. Sounds like 30 to me. Then again, maybe it means that the five will be the top of the 25? I think it could go either way, but we shouldn't discount 30 as a real possibility.

Edited by okinawatyphoon

But it specifically says that there is a 25 story Hilton hotel with five stories of luxury

residential condominiums topping off the hotel. Sounds like 30 to me. Then again, maybe it means that the five will be the top of the 25? I think it could go either way, but we shouldn't discount 30 as a real possibility.

I won't discount 30 but I have to agree with Rus here. My gut tells me 25 and normally if it is to be a 30 story building they would actually say "30 stories". I'm happy with 25 though, remember there was a time when we thought we were looking at 16. :ph34r:

I won't discount 30 but I have to agree with Rus here. My gut tells me 25 and normally if it is to be a 30 story building they would actually say "30 stories". I'm happy with 25 though, remember there was a time when we thought we were looking at 16. :ph34r:

I think the hotel is still 16 or so because of this:

25 floors total

-5 (condos)

-4 conference center/garage

---------------------------------

= 16 for the hotel.

Trust me, I would love it to be 30 stories but when i read that it sounded like that entire building is going to be 25 stories. Its going to be a tall 25 though. The building is called the Hilton is why I typed what I did. Hopefully Okinawa you are right and I'm wrong. This would be a great time to be wrong.

Nice PDF. Thanks for posting it. Very comprehensive.

I drove through East Beach yesterday and was absolutely blown away by the progress they have made. It reminds me a lot of Ghent and New Bern, NC - a very swiss/german feel to it. I feel like it exploded over night. It is going to be beautiful once it is all completed.

I really like that they are moving towards incorporating shops and restaurants as well. It definitely cannot be just another suburban neighborhood. It has to have mixed-use in order for it to really fly. Anyway, I just wanted to share my enthusiasm and encourage you all to check it out if you haven't had an opportunity to do so yet.

Actually, I take that back. This appears to be a completely new development. Hoffler Tower will actually be located on property directly north of there.

newmixeduse.jpg

Update: This project was approved by the planning commission and gets voted on by city council tommorrow. It is a lowrise, mixed use, urban project that will go adjacent to the Hoffler Tower property but is not part of that project. It will consist of 2 5-story buildings with a total of 6,000 sq ft of commercial space on the first floors and 46 residential units (type not specified). DetailsWarning!.pdf file

• 3 weeks later...

I know this building very well, my late father had his dental practice in there for 28 years and I was a member of St. John's AME Church next door. The plans for this building are encouraging, I hope that the development will include affordable housing. I too would like to see the adjacent parking lot developed into something nice.