Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

I like the Scope. It is unique and and does add to the cityscape. I have often thought under the arena, there is some convention space. When a new arena is built, why not turn scope into all convention space. All that would need to be done is take out the arena and put in a new floor. Then there will be three levels of convention space. Plus, the area of the plaza outside the Scope can be redeveloped to have a new highrise host hotel for the Scope Convention Hall.

How about lets demo. the whole thing and start over.

That is a HUGE plot of land that is beind under-used.

How about lets demo. the whole thing and start over.

That is a HUGE plot of land that is beind under-used.

A lot of land in that general area is being under-utilized.

I like the convention center idea better, though Some of Scope's surrounding plaza could be better utilized, though. That might even be a good spot for a permanent ice skating venue. Maybe put the new basketball arena near Harbor Park, if we can ever afford the damn thing. But my preferences are probably a factor. I'm not a pro basketball or hockey fan these days. I like baseball and football a lot more.

A lot of land in that general area is being under-utilized.

I like the convention center idea better, though Some of Scope's surrounding plaza could be better utilized, though. That might even be a good spot for a permanent ice skating venue. Maybe put the new basketball arena near Harbor Park, if we can ever afford the damn thing. But my preferences are probably a factor. I'm not a pro basketball or hockey fan these days. I like baseball and football a lot more.

Padman, I'm with you! Hockey has zero following or attendance. We'd be better suited with baseball, football or basketball.

Padman, I'm with you! Hockey has zero following or attendance. We'd be better suited with baseball, football or basketball.

Hockey has strong loyal following, but it is more regional than national (in the U.S). Go to a market like Detroit, Philly, or Denver, etc and there is very strong support for hockey, but in warmer climates it obviously suffers. Its terms of measuring its popularity, its kinda how NASCAR used to be a mainly southern oriented sport.

Anway, the problem with all of the major sports is that they are pretty much expanded all they are going to expand and so the only way you are going to get a team is through relocation, which doesn't come up very often. What happens then is that cities get into bidding wars with one another over how large a subsidy they are willing to give a team owner to choose them over the competition. Which is fine, if you argue for it soley on the basis of having a local pro-franchise to root for and to help instill a sense of community spirit. However, the use of massive subsidies to lure pro-sports teams is almost ALWAYS argued on the basis having a positive economic benefit, which study after study including one released just a week ago, debunks. They have consistently shown that whenever a city or other government gives these huge a$$ handouts, there is little to no effect economic benefit to the locality, just a redistribution of resources. In fact, in many cases, there is a negative cost-benefit.

So why would you want $350 million of your tax dollars (and lets' face it, at this point the only way HR is going to get a pro-sports franchise is to offer these kinds of subsidies) to go to some rich team ownership, who will consistently hold the mantle of threatening to move the team to another city over local governments head as a means to get even more incentives to stay put? Which will certainly happen in a small market like HR... and it never ends. Every 25 years Norfolk will be forced to pony up the vast majority of money for a new stadium or risk losing the team. Look what Shinn did with the Hornets, what happened with the Expos under Jeffery Loria, the Raiders moving back to Oakland under Al Davis, how the Nordiques, Jets, and Whalers got screwed in the NHL, etc. the list goes on and on. It happens because cities are competing for a percieved economic benefits of having a pro-sports franchise, at least that is what they argue when they take it to the tax payer (in addition to being a populist measure for the politicans). So if you want the team for the sense of community or your a big sports fan then fine, but those arguemtns are very rarely the top selling point for giving your tax dollars away.

Edited by Glassoul

• 2 weeks later...

It's the JAIC Hilton Residence Hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

It's 33 floors with 168 luxury suites, and a five-star hotel.

Cool. One of my friends is from Colombo. Maybe if we go to visit one day we could stay there. I know clothing, jewelry, etc. are extremely cheap over there. I wonder if hotel stays are too. :thumbsup:

I posted an article today from Sunday's Pilot. Its in the "Norfolk Transportation" thread. Its focus is on Norfolk's light rail plan. It mentions a 12 story building on the site of the Kirn library that ties in with the light rail system.

I'll be very disappointed if they put a pityful 12 story building there. That's a 40 story tower quality plot of land. I hope they do not depreciate downtown with a 12 story box in the business district. It better make a huge statement if only 12 stories.

Edited by juancapitalcitydc

I'll be very disappointed if they put a pityful 12 story building there. That's a 4 story tower quality plot of land. I hope they do not depreciate downtown with a 12 story box in the business district. It better make a huge statement if only 12 stories.

Look on HRTs site it looks nice and the Light Rail runs under the building. I think its going to be the new HRT hqs.

I'll be very disappointed if they put a pityful 12 story building there. That's a 4 story tower quality plot of land. I hope they do not depreciate downtown with a 12 story box in the business district. It better make a huge statement if only 12 stories.

I assume you meant "40 story quality" and I wholeheartedly agree. I actually cannot see how they could justify a 12 story building in that location and still claim there's a land shortage with a straight face.

I assume you meant "40 story quality" and I wholeheartedly agree. I actually cannot see how they could justify a 12 story building in that location and still claim there's a land shortage with a straight face.

well its a small plot of land. That is why they are planning that and also you can't force a company to build something cause you want taller.

The Kirn Library is being destroyed? I have heard rumblings about this before. As ugly as the Kirn is, I still think it needs to be preserved.

It is going to be replaced by a 12 story building with light rail running right underneath and I think that the new library will be on Greyhound site if the GSA makes a decision on where they are going to build their addition at.

The new library is going to be a joint venture with the city and TCC. I really would like to see how the building is going to look and how tall and if they plan it to be a mixed use building.

Edited by rusthebuss

well its a small plot of land. That is why they are planning that and also you can't force a company to build something cause you want taller.

A small plot of land means you build tall and thin, not short and fat. :lol: If you ask me we need to enroll norfolks buildings in a Jenny craig program. I think that by the time this is built, market forces will demand far more efficient use of that land anyway.

I don't think its that tall. Look at some of the buildings on Granby that are similar in size in height. I see this as a great filler project.

I think you misunderstand what i'm saying. I'm saying that in that location, the core business district, 12 stories is not the wisest use of that land and should probably be taller.

Thats like building a 30 story tower in Wall Street.

Edited by vdogg

A small plot of land means you build tall and thin, not short and fat. :lol: If you ask me we need to enroll norfolks buildings in a Jenny craig program. I think that by the time this is built, market forces will demand far more efficient use of that land anyway.

Im totally with you on that one Vdogg! They need go on the Adkins Diet!

The footprint there is not that large and its attached to the monticello arcade.

I'm sorry Rus, but they can easily do better than this. 12story.jpg

You can fit a much taller bulding on that lot and then some.

edit: No fighting, you know who u are and which posts were deleted.