Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Some one with your positive outlook used to own the Putt-Putt at Military Circle.

When Putt-Putt goes downhill, you know the rest of Hampton Roads can't be far behind.

:rofl: Sometimes telmnstr you need to have some positivity in your life. One thing that I found is if you are negative all the time, people pick up on it and treat you in a negative way. Also, you drag yourself down with that attitude. Each their own i guess. :thumbsup:

Downtown Norfolks progress comes at a price for local businesses

The stretch of Tazewell Street is a dirty, unpaved mess. Framed by wooden blockades and cluttered with dumpsters, debris and construction equipment, it has been rendered useless. With no fix in sight, the work has threatened local business and inconvenienced residents.

Behold, the side-effect of progress.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree! Looks like something they would have put in Chick's Beach by the Lesner bridge

The original renderings looked much better. Are we sure this is a new rendering? This may just be something that they started out with. The colors are totally different.

The original renderings looked much better. Are we sure this is a new rendering? This may just be something that they started out with. The colors are totally different.

This is probably old. I haven't seen any others, so that's why I posted it.

Damnit, Jim. I'm a doctor, not an artist.

Edited by Sky06

I found this pdf searching through Norfolk city site, it's probably been posted long ago, but it just looked cool. And I'm new so it's new to me.

Norfolk 2010

If the link isnt work then try this page

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/Downtown.asp

Really old... Anything you find on that site is probably ancient. It seems like months before the city of Norfolk updates the redevelopment page.

Does anyone know the status of 388 Boush? People should be moving in by now if I remember correctly. Some final completetion pictures of this awesome project would be nice. :thumbsup:

I'm going DT this weekend and I will report back. I don't live that far but only get a chance to go there during the weekend due to long hours at work. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and it seemed that they still had some work to do.

Does anyone know the status of 388 Boush? People should be moving in by now if I remember correctly. Some final completetion pictures of this awesome project would be nice. :thumbsup:

A small number of people have moved into the building. Mostly those units on the Freemason side and the corner of freemason which was considered phase 1 for release. All units will be substantially complete by Sept 30. A small number of parking spots have been reserved in the garage which gives you a pretty good gauge of the folks currently living in the building. The majority of residents will move in during the month of Sept. They are running about a month behind on scheduled closings right now. Although a few months behind on the projected finish date. Anyway, I've kept pretty good record of the progress of the building from start to finish so I'll post them here soon. I've got pics of when the old commonwealth college building on freemason was getting torn down and when the old garage was getting torn down.

Just to confirm what vtfan fan said, for the most part people are moving in the end of september/early october. The ads for rent on craigslist have varied from available immediately to september 1st, 15th, and october 1st. the first rent i saw was 1600 for 800 sq feet, without parking, almost spit out my drink. lately they've all been 1200 for 1BR, and the 1600 post was taken down almost immediately. I drove by last night at 2 in the morning, there were three or four lights on in the building on the lower floors towards Bute St, not towards Freemason. There's still landscaping and sidewalk work that needs done, and the bottom floor facing Boush nearest Freemason still has plastic inside covering the windows. Pictures would help too <_<

There are a few units for rent in the building. I know of a corner unit which recently rented for $1600, so its not outrageous, although it was a two bedroom. The rental market downtown will soon pick up speed. Many of the previous apartments converted to condos during the last two years which decreased the supply of rental units.

This about the old Social Services building, on Brambleton and Duke *Franklin Condos*, they've put a link to their website for the project. Last i checked it was under construction. I'm curious how this building is going to turn out, they're stripping it down, using the steel frames and puttin up wooden framing inside the steel, but dont seem to plan on adding anything to the current building. Unique to say the least.

SITE HERE

Page is still under construction.

This about the old Social Services building, on Brambleton and Duke *Franklin Condos*, they've put a link to their website for the project. Last i checked it was under construction. I'm curious how this building is going to turn out, they're stripping it down, using the steel frames and puttin up wooden framing inside the steel, but dont seem to plan on adding anything to the current building. Unique to say the least.

SITE HERE

Page is still under construction.

I'm a bit disappointed in this project. I think it could be so much more. I guess they plan on leaving the parking lot as well. <_<

Edited by rusthebuss

• 2 weeks later...

Norfolk debt could mean moratorium on capital projects

New courthouse: $100 million. Light rail line: $39 million. Cruise ship terminal: $37 million. Conference center: $33 million.

The city is embarking on a downtown building boom that will significantly increase its debt. So much so, city officials say, that any new big-ticket items are likely to be put off until the end of the decade at least. That may include plans to revitalize three neighborhoods: Wards Corner, Fairmount Park and the Southside.

If a National Basketball Association asked Norfolk to build an arena for a expansion team, "I don't think we could do it right now," Councilman Don Williams said.

Already, the courthouse has been delayed a year at the city manager's urging.

Fiscally, the city is sound, Director of Finance Steve de Mik said. Norfolk is at 38 percent of the debt limit allowed by state law. It's also well under the more rigorous limit adopted by the council, which says that yearly debt payments for capital projects should be no more than 10 percent of the general budget, or $77 million.