Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

That IS the hotel that Levin bought - the old bubble gum pink hotel. One of the orginial plans when Decker was involved was condos, apartments, and a marina. Be interesting to see what it has morphed into. That was the secion of Llewellyn that someone (insert name of well-connected developer here) got the city council to close to traffic in order to force the Indian gent who owned the hotel to sell it. There was a scandal about it and it never came off, so they had to wait for the gent to sell the thing.

That wouldn't be like the Judy Boone scandal in OV would it? LOL

I agree the concept in that rendering would be absolutely ideal. Unfortunately, Fort Norfolk Plaza isn't exactly a promising step in that direction.

And that is why it wasn't added to that rendering lol. On a more serious note, that rendering is obviously to have a vision and idea for the area which obviously means that it won't necessarily look like that. With that said, I would not be surprised to see Harbor's Edge have a twin on the parking lot behind the Norfolk Public Health building. Just a thought...

"In the Fort Norfolk section of downtown, Harbor’s Edge – the city’s first retirement community – opened in September.It was a sold-out development long before the first residents moved in, and its founder, Neil Volder, tells us conceptual plans have been completed for a second phase with marketing to begin later this year."

Twin anyone?! :whistling:

I definitely wouldn't be surprised due to one notable fact, everytime I drive down Brambleton from Downtown in the evening into the night hours, Harbor's Edge has most of its units lit which obviously means a fully (or at least very close to it) occupied tower. Hopefully Neil will have repeat success for phase two.

Twin anyone?! :whistling:

I definitely wouldn't be surprised due to one notable fact, everytime I drive down Brambleton from Downtown in the evening into the night hours, Harbor's Edge has most of its units lit which obviously means a fully (or at least very close to it) occupied tower. Hopefully Neil will have repeat success for phase two.

Harbor's Edge was sold out long before construction was completed, with a waiting list a mile long. That's the primary reason for phase two, supply has yet to meet the demand.

Harbor's Edge was sold out long before construction was completed, with a waiting list a mile long. That's the primary reason for phase two, supply has yet to meet the demand.

If all these projects catered to seniors we could probably fill 3 or 4 Granby Towers. :lol: I don't think i'd like a downtown like that though. (All clubs and bars must close by 11, speed limit 5 mph on all streets :rofl:).

Long time downtown business club to close :(

The club has lost more than 600 members in the past five to six years and ultimately lacked the support to continue operating, the managers told their guests. "So they just couldn't make it work," Randolph said. He and others had heard rumors of its possible demise for months, but the club's staff apparently tried to keep it going. The club remodeled its space, which had grown a bit outdated, a couple of years ago, he said.

I always wanted to go there one day too.

On a positive note however:

Randolph said The Harbor Club staff also mentioned Wednesday that Maersk Line Ltd., the ship operator and logistics company with headquarters in the same building, would expand into the club's space. John F. Reinhart, president and chief executive of Maersk Line, said the company continued to talk to the building's owners about possible available space, but he had no information to give Wednesday about expansion plans. The building is owned by American Financial Realty Trust near Philadelphia.

Maersk, a subsidary of Danish shipping conglomerate A.P Moller-Maersk Group, moved to the site in May 2005. "We're just very happy to be in the Bank of America building," Reinhart said, "and we love our space."

If Maersk keeps expanding downtown, maybe they'll need their own building someday. :whistling:

damn, I was hoping the good news would be a restaurant that was open to everyone up there. That would just be sweet.

Oh and I have been up there before, back in 2000 roughly because the company I was working for was doing something for them and they sent me there to get something approved. I got to hang out for like 20 minutes just taking in the view.

Edited by urbanlife

Since most of our prime real estate is being taken up but subpar developments I have been left wondering what some of our other options are. One thing I came up with in looking with what they're doing with Wachovia Center is the York street garage area. That is a prime redevelopment spot and I think something very similar to Wachovia could be done there. Anyone heard anything mentioned in the past about that site as far as development opportunities go?

Since most of our prime real estate is being taken up but subpar developments I have been left wondering what some of our other options are. One thing I came up with in looking with what they're doing with Wachovia Center is the York street garage area. That is a prime redevelopment spot and I think something very similar to Wachovia could be done there. Anyone heard anything mentioned in the past about that site as far as development opportunities go?

There was talk about building something next to the Wainwright Building, I believe.

There was talk about building something next to the Wainwright Building, I believe.

Yeah, in the parking lot. Haven't heard anything about that since though. I think they were leaning towards an office building. I think tearing down the York street garage though would free up space for a more major project.

Yeah, in the parking lot. Haven't heard anything about that since though. I think they were leaning towards an office building. I think tearing down the York street garage though would free up space for a more major project.

And probably would look a heck of a lot better.

I was digging around the forum and this topic was actually one of the old threads, but anyways, here's a list off the top of my head:

York St garage

Union Mission building

Lot behind Union Mission

Synder Lot

Chrysler Hall parking lot

Granby 411 parking lot

Granby 419 building

Granby Tower sales pavillion

I was digging around the forum and this topic was actually one of the old threads, but anyways, here's a list off the top of my head:

York St garage

Union Mission building

Lot behind Union Mission

Synder Lot

Chrysler Hall parking lot

Granby 411 parking lot

Granby 419 building

Granby Tower sales pavillion

No go on the union mission building, I want that preserved. I agree with the rest however.

This is interesting. Turner construction put out this job listing for a highrise construction manager Feb. 9th for the Norfolk area. Is this for Wachovia Center perhaps? Or Rivers Edge? I don't think it's for since it's already started and Fort Norfolk Plaza is a little too close to construction for them to just be starting now. I'm definately intrigued though.