Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

There's alot more than just that, there's the new court building 'rendering' (hypothetical) plus the mythological Synder Lot project has a rendering in there, the Harbor Park project, i'm in heaven right now...there's even a different angle rendering of the Westin CC, that is going to be monsterous if that's to scale

My, my! "I'm in heaven"? "Monstrous"? Are we feeling a tad dramatic today?

Keep in mind that for some of these projects, the staff that assembled the Master Plan may not have had any more information than we do when they made up this presentation. The 'renderings' may may be more their vision than the architect's.

My, my! "I'm in heaven"? "Monstrous"? Are we feeling a tad dramatic today?

Keep in mind that for some of these projects, the staff that assembled the Master Plan may not have had any more information than we do when they made up this presentation. The 'renderings' may may be more their vision than the architect's.

Well, "monstrous" is a pretty apt description for the Westin. The sketch in this document lines up exactly with the official renderings that have been released, only this is from a rear view. I think that sketch is pretty close to accurate. I would tend to agree with your other points however as we don't really have much information to go on with the rest of it (though I do think a rendering has already been released for the courthouse, i'm just having trouble finding it).

If they did that I would wish they would take that even further and reconnect Main St to Berkeley and S Norfolk. Would make a great place for a new bridge (seeing there use to be a bridge there), plus light rail would be able to extend through South Norfolk and into Chesapeake that way as well.

Just wishful thinking. I think South Norfolk and Berkeley have the potential to become strong towns in that region and would have a possibility of turning South Norfolk into downtown Chesapeake, but the chances of that happening without a massive movement for it is near impossible....but it is still fun to dream about my hometown.

Nice, fun pdf to go through. I really like the master plan for the St Paul Quadrant. It looks alot like what I was thinking. I like the street grid that seems to match some of the more traditional methods for streets in the city. Not a full on grid, but still connected with a good interaction with reintroduced natural elements.

Also, a little skeptical on the Pattern Book. It makes it sound that all architectural components that make a city good can be solved in a catalog. This is something I always take issue with, but if the catalog prevents crappy buildings that do not engage the street life from going up, then it is at least good with something.

I love the idea of a Pattern Book. I'm living in NYC now, and it breaks my heart to watch developers destroy this city. Luckily NYC has historic districts that can't be touched, but they aren't protecting nearly enough buildings in the city. Giant glass boxes are sprouting out like weeds all over cities, and low rise gems are being destroyed everywhere. Now obviously Norfolk doesn't have as many classic beaux art buildings (thank you roaring 60s urban renewal), however at least keeping a pattern book will maintain the character of the neighborhoods. Part of what gives a sense of place within a city is the uniformity of the achitecture of the neighborhoods in it. I would cringe to see a large glass highrise right by freemason. For that same reason, I cringe to see those stupid town homes behind McArthur Mall. This book will go a long way to ensure the city will maintain a very beautiful streetscape and give you a sense of where you are within the city.

On a side note, I love the rendering for the waterfront development by the Harbor Park. I hope there is more to those than just the imagination of the person who put those renderings up. Also, extending the park down to the baseball stadium is a great idea. I wish they would get rid of the sheraton and the pedestrian bridge along the way. Dominion Tower realestate price is going to skyrocket by 2020.

Well, "monstrous" is a pretty apt description for the Westin. The sketch in this document lines up exactly with the official renderings that have been released, only this is from a rear view. I think that sketch is pretty close to accurate. I would tend to agree with your other points however as we don't really have much information to go on with the rest of it (though I do think a rendering has already been released for the courthouse, i'm just having trouble finding it).

Here it is

2472869955_19a8defce2_m.jpg

• 2 months later...

Any idea whats being developed at 18th and Granby? The lot is surrounded with silt fence and a construction trailer is on site.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clie...944276303157803

Also the old Prices building across from Doumars was demolished leaving a very large concrete slab. I think some Gold's Gym Parking has overflowed for now.

There also seems to be a lot of dirt moving around on Armistead between 16th and 17th by the cemetery wall.

Any chance of some additional apartment/condo construction going on in these areas? From what I hear the other two apartment developments stay booked.

Any chance of some additional apartment/condo construction going on in these areas? From what I hear the other two apartment developments stay booked.

Yes. There was actually a project in the works for that land that was a partnership with HRT. It was supposed to be apartments/mixed use IIRC. I thought it had stalled though like everything else. We've got an article posted about it around here somewhere. When I find it I'll repost the link.

Any idea whats being developed at 18th and Granby? The lot is surrounded with silt fence and a construction trailer is on site.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clie...944276303157803

Also the old Prices building across from Doumars was demolished leaving a very large concrete slab. I think some Gold's Gym Parking has overflowed for now.

There also seems to be a lot of dirt moving around on Armistead between 16th and 17th by the cemetery wall.

Go to this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh dude hasn't paid back the previous people that invested, and is moving to do a new project. Nice.

If he structured it well (perhaps took the Donald Trump route) he should be able to leave all the original investors high and dry, bankrupt the GT project, keep all his money and start a new one.

Getting financing would be another issue. But if investors think they will get a huge return somehow, greed will kick in and he could perhaps get his financing.

Heh dude hasn't paid back the previous people that invested, and is moving to do a new project. Nice.

If he structured it well (perhaps took the Donald Trump route) he should be able to leave all the original investors high and dry, bankrupt the GT project, keep all his money and start a new one.

Getting financing would be another issue. But if investors think they will get a huge return somehow, greed will kick in and he could perhaps get his financing.

Contrary to popular belief and what the media has been putting out, it