Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

These actually sound like great little projects! Has anyone seen their other work in Portsmouth?

You are being much too posiitive. The E. Princess Anne property is very close to the Broad Creek neighborhood to the east and not far from the continually revitalized Church St. corridor to the west. Don't recall much if anything very new in that stretch in well...forever...so this is a postive to me.

If the rent is managable for those who need a lower level, and if all the other apartments are too high and keep increasing, they may have a niche to fill.

With the other, good to see something begin to happen in the Fort Norfolk area. It's obviously a tough time for any development activity.

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

Drove on hampton blvd today by ODU. They cleared out the whole block from 38th to 37th st. (I believe) on the village side of ODU for the new dorms. Also, on the opposite side of hampton blvd. they cleared out the land next to chinese carry-out for some development. Everything kinda got emptied out of nowhere.

Drove on hampton blvd today by ODU. They cleared out the whole block from 38th to 37th st. (I believe) on the village side of ODU for the new dorms. Also, on the opposite side of hampton blvd. they cleared out the land next to chinese carry-out for some development. Everything kinda got emptied out of nowhere.

As ODU continues to expand, it will continue to be a great influence on it's surrounding neighborhoods.. I wish Norfolk State would do the same.. Hampton Blvd. is a beautiful stretch of road from ODU all the way to NOB.. I wonder what that other development is gonna be.. Probably more student housing with the dramatic increase in enrollment.

As ODU continues to expand, it will continue to be a great influence on it's surrounding neighborhoods.. I wish Norfolk State would do the same.. Hampton Blvd. is a beautiful stretch of road from ODU all the way to NOB.. I wonder what that other development is gonna be.. Probably more student housing with the dramatic increase in enrollment.
I really like that ODU is becoming more of a resident school & not just a commuter school. I"m also excited for football starting in the fall since it will also be my first semester there. It's just another area of Norfolk that is pulling ahead of what the other cities in the region can brag about.

On a side question... has anyone been to any of the restaurants in ODU's village... like Sobo, Boar's Nest, Monarch Grill? I'd love to hear some reviews, I'm always lookin for somewhere new to go in Norfolk-

ODU has expanded so much over the past few years.. I bet sooner than later they will build a larger football stadium.. I wouldn't be surprised if ODU eventually took up Hampton Blvd. all the way to the Lafayette River down to Park Place.. It's the school of choice in HR among us young people..

I really like that ODU is becoming more of a resident school & not just a commuter school. I"m also excited for football starting in the fall since it will also be my first semester there. It's just another area of Norfolk that is pulling ahead of what the other cities in the region can brag about.

On a side question... has anyone been to any of the restaurants in ODU's village... like Sobo, Boar's Nest, Monarch Grill? I'd love to hear some reviews, I'm always lookin for somewhere new to go in Norfolk-

I live on 42nd st right next to the village and we use those restaurants a lot. Sobo has really good $5 calzones, Boar's Nest has a better night life then they do food, and I personally like La Huradurra mexican. Also, I talked to a professor on campus the other day about the land right behind the Ted next to the bookstore and the school has intentions of building there in the near future.

I live on 42nd st right next to the village and we use those restaurants a lot. Sobo has really good $5 calzones, Boar's Nest has a better night life then they do food, and I personally like La Huradurra mexican. Also, I talked to a professor on campus the other day about the land right behind the Ted next to the bookstore and the school has intentions of building there in the near future.

They can't build if the land owners don't want to sell. I think Ronnie Boone is still unwilling to sell his boarded up unutilized home until he gets enough money to get rich.

$5 anything sounds good to me... I'll hafta try out Sobo... what nights does Boar's nest boast a good nightlife?... I went there on a saturday night a while back and it was terrible... Havana's remains the only good bar I've been to in Norfolk on saturday nights after 9 or 10, all of Ghent's are fun till about that time but then they become ghost towns.

$5 anything sounds good to me... I'll hafta try out Sobo... what nights does Boar's nest boast a good nightlife?... I went there on a saturday night a while back and it was terrible... Havana's remains the only good bar I've been to in Norfolk on saturday nights after 9 or 10, all of Ghent's are fun till about that time but then they become ghost towns.

37th and Zen is really good. Not really in the village, but the food is terrific. Try the fried pickles.

They can't build if the land owners don't want to sell. I think Ronnie Boone is still unwilling to sell his boarded up unutilized home until he gets enough money to get rich.

I work in the building across the street and behind the parking garage. I seen a lady and some kids doing some minor landscaping a few weeks back. This was also right before they started doing some demo on the adjacent street that is connected to the property. I wonder if it was just luck she was adding flowers to a boarded up house right before the demo on a section of the land ODU and the city wants? hmmmmmmmmmmm

I went to boar's nest the other night and it was weak. I've basically concluded that it'll be pretty dry there over the summer, because during the school year there are a lot of girls that go there. I don't know though. Also, the land directly behind the Ted that I am talking about is currently being used for the Saturday concert series they have going on throughout the summer; which are free concerts but they serve alcohol. Someone on the planning commission told me that the school is open to ideas and working on their own for that spot.

I went to boar's nest the other night and it was weak. I've basically concluded that it'll be pretty dry there over the summer, because during the school year there are a lot of girls that go there. I don't know though. Also, the land directly behind the Ted that I am talking about is currently being used for the Saturday concert series they have going on throughout the summer; which are free concerts but they serve alcohol. Someone on the planning commission told me that the school is open to ideas and working on their own for that spot.

This should really be in the ODU thread... but I heard that space might become a new basketball practice facility. That really isn't in keeping with the retail surroundings, so maybe that was just somebody's hope.

Has anyone noticed...TCC just put up fences around the "park area" between Granby and the mall to start site work for the TCC student center.

Awesome.. It's not the most desirable "green space".. I think the 6 story student center will be a big improvement.. The building fronts Monticello or Granby?

This should really be in the ODU thread... but I heard that space might become a new basketball practice facility. That really isn't in keeping with the retail surroundings, so maybe that was just somebody's hope.

I'm not sure if that would fit on that spot...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/06/economy-cr...ruction-norfolk

NORFOLK

To see how the credit crunch has slowed development in Hampton Roads, locals can simply drive along 21st Street between two projects serving as bookends to Ghent's shopping corridor.

At 21st Street and Llewellyn Avenue, an apartment and retail complex nears completion more than three years after it was announced. The developers of 201 Twenty One said they are in discussions with retailers for some of the 16,000 square feet of ground-level space and hope to have stores there by the end of the year.

About four long blocks west, between Colley Avenue and Hampton Boulevard, a sign for Ghent Station touts "delivery 4th quarter 2009." But there's no evidence of construction in progress. City officials said they have granted an extension to the developer, who is reworking and downsizing the project, which could include a grocery store.

The economy has created challenges for both projects, city officials and developers said. "There are very few commercial projects moving forward in this economy," Mayor Paul Fraim said.

201 Twenty One has attracted interest from retailers, particularly local owners and small regional chains, but they are hesitant to commit to expansion, said Daniel Aston, a partner of Roseland Property Co., the project's developer.

"All retailers are watching their balance sheets very closely," said Aston, who envisions a restaurant and a bank taking the corner spaces on 21st Street. Potential tenants need money both to build out the empty spaces and to cover rent, but they "have experienced a shortage of available credit," he said.

Roseland is willing to offer financing for retailers who would suit the location but need help with start-up costs, Aston said.

"It is forcing people, whether they be landlords or tenants, to really change their business models," he said. "And it has slowed down the velocity of business. It takes longer to get things done."

In February 2008, city officials approved Cooper Realty's proposal for Ghent Station: a $30 million development anchored by a five-story office building and 30,000 square feet of retail space. Cooper agreed to purchase 3.6 acres of city property and 1.3 acres of adjacent private property. Cooper planned to demolish three city-owned buildings on the site last year.

Fraim and City Manager Regina V.K. Williams said the development likely will change, but they wouldn't speculate on Cooper's plans or timetable.

Jeff Cooper, the vice president of Cooper Realty who is heading the project, was out of the country this week and unavailable for comment.

Three city officials familiar with the negotiations said Cooper has spoken with representatives of The Fresh Market, a small grocery chain based in Greensboro, N.C., about opening a store at Ghent Station. The retailer - with stores in Virginia Beach's Hilltop, Williamsburg and Newport News - is known for selling some specialty products not found in other supermarkets.

Fresh Market officials wouldn't confirm discussions about a store in Norfolk. "We don't quite have anything to announce yet," spokeswoman Jennifer Foushee said.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha good one mobius.. Actually I think I remember someone a while back saying their was a bank being built.. Does anybody remember?

Two notes about downtown today:

I looked around for prime development spots, and was glad to see there is only one surface lot that does not have a proposed building, It's the parking lot next to the courtyard by mariott.. Who owns the lot? Is it owned by the city? I hate parking lots!

Waterside/ Town Point Park was actually busy with families, children, bikers, runners, ect. I am so happy to see people coming downtown just to hang out in a safe way..

Hahaha good one mobius.. Actually I think I remember someone a while back saying their was a bank being built.. Does anybody remember?

I looked around for prime development spots, and was glad to see there is only one surface lot that does not have a proposed building, It's the parking lot next to the courtyard by mariott.. Who owns the lot? Is it owned by the city? I hate parking lots!

Waterside/ Town Point Park was actually busy with families, children, bikers, runners, ect. I am so happy to see people coming downtown just to hang out in a safe way..

Now if only there could be some risk takers to start building 4-6 story infill buildings along Granby.

A bank...