Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Sorry for the multi posts! Please forgive me.

Bidclerk:

Site work and new construction of a residential development in Norfolk. Schematic design plans call for the construction of a 187-unit apartment complex.

Est. Start Date: October 2010

Looks to be on Pershing Ave. off of Tidewater Drive.

http://www.bidclerk.com/project.1048985.html

Edited by varider

Bidclerk:

Site work and new construction of a residential development in Norfolk. Schematic design plans call for the construction of a 187-unit apartment complex.

Looking at it's location, this one may not wind up being too urban. I would love to see a rendering though.

Bidclerk:

I was at the city planning commission meeting during this one...they had lots of problems with it. They said it will mostly likely get denied.

^ That's a shame. I went to elementary school right around the corner from there.

If you guys look at bidclerk there are at least 25-50 projects up there that haven't been talked about on UP.. Some look quite substantial, while others are just construction of restaurants and such.

it was mainly a density issue plus there were huge wetland issues the developer was ignoring!

The entire eastern wing of the Crowne Plaza hotel has been completely razed, leaving a huge surface parking lot fronting a major avenue.

What to do, what to do?

The other wing is coming down today. I'd like to see what is planned for that space. I couldn't see it being torn down without something new in mind.

The other wing is coming down today. I'd like to see what is planned for that space. I couldn't see it being torn down without something new in mind.

Norfolk Plaza Hotel

Kind of conflicting information:

Our outdoor pool will close on July 31st to make way for added improvements to our exterior

Does demo of an entire wing constitute "renovation" or new attached/detached additions.

I wouldn't even look a the Norfolk Plaza website, because it's not even called that anymore. It's now the Crowne Plaza.. There has to be somthing in the pipeline. I don't see Norfolk letting them tear it down, leaving a football field sized parking lot with no new development. & It's obviously not parking for the hotel, because theeir parking is on he north side of the building. Who knows..

I wouldn't even look a the Norfolk Plaza website, because it's not even called that anymore. It's now the Crowne Plaza.. There has to be somthing in the pipeline. I don't see Norfolk letting them tear it down, leaving a football field sized parking lot with no new development. & It's obviously not parking for the hotel, because theeir parking is on he north side of the building. Who knows..

Well in the Norfolk 2020 plan, there are a number of buildings lining the street where the work is going on right now, so perhaps they are putting in new wings or apartments/retail.

http://www.norfolk.gov/planning/PDFFiles/D...Plan_Poster.pdf

Edited by ronsmytheiii

I located some nice renderings for some projects Rockville Development has planned around town.

Checkout http://rockvilledevelopment.com/ to see renderings of:

Montgomery Square Apartments, Retail, Restaurant and Bowling Alley in Old Towne Portsmouth. (An urban bowling alley) Some of this development is already open.

Krisp-Pak warehouse to loft conversion in Fort Norfolk - Looks nice.

1148 Princess Anne Road Warehouse to loft conversion near NSU and Booker T Washington. I really wish Norfolk had more buildings like this to convert over but someone tore them all down.

I located some nice renderings for some projects Rockville Development has planned around town.

Montgomery Square Apartments, Retail, Restaurant and Bowling Alley in Old Towne Portsmouth. (An urban bowling alley) Some of this development is already open.

1148 Princess Anne Road Warehouse to loft conversion near NSU and Booker T Washington. I really wish Norfolk had more buildings like this to convert over but someone tore them all down.

Guess the bolding of bowling alley was for me, LOL.....its hot man...that's what I am talking about...

You can not be a feel good city without a DT bowling alley, lol.

As long as we can keep Allen Iverson out or make sure the chairs are all attached to the floor it should be a nice place. I hope it is upscale enough to keep a good crowd but honestly High Street keeps a good middle aged crowd. A lot of people put Portsmouth down but the bar scene over there is a lot of more relaxed and comfortable than Granby in my opinion.

I would have only torn down one at the max. They need to look at other purposes for that hotel. I would have tried an upscale spa theme. The location sucks, but a city will not always have great surroundings; however, if you build up the inside in a way that people forget the outside, I think they have a steal. I would have built an attached spa to include all its amenities. I think they would have stood alone in that regard if they took that route instead. The detachment from DT and location of public housing are like two

WOah! THat's really awesome. Urban bowling alley in DT Portsmouth.. SO you can be in downtown Norfolk, take the ferry, go bowling, eat at roger brown's, and go back DT Norfolk. THat's amazing.

The Krisp- Pak conversion looks nice. Fort Norfolk is emerging!

Edited by varider

As long as we can keep Allen Iverson out or make sure the chairs are all attached to the floor it should be a nice place. I hope it is upscale enough to keep a good crowd but honestly High Street keeps a good middle aged crowd. A lot of people put Portsmouth down but the bar scene over there is a lot of more relaxed and comfortable than Granby in my opinion.

I'm so ashamed I don't know Portsmouth well enough. The few times I've been in their downtown, I've always loved the historic and urban appeal of it (reminds me of the layout of Old Town Alexandria, except smaller). The last time I was there was the 4th of July in 2007 and we took the ferry over from Norfolk.

That's good to hear about their bar scene though! Since returning from college, I haven't ventured down to Norfolk much after work hours since I'm in Greenbrier, but Granby St.'s crowd has never really appealed to me. I've been wanting to check out Bier Garden for a long time too.

This looks like a beautiful conversion when it comes through. Too bad more projects in Norfolk are not built like this. It doesnt even require great craftsmanship, just well thought out brick placement and arched windows. I like it a lot. That whole area, whenever it is redeveloped, should be built in a similar style.

• 2 months later...

Some good news for a change.

Union Mission building to become "The Rockefeller" with 90 middle income apartments...something I think downtown has lacked for quite some time.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/developer-buys-union-mission-plans-middleincome-apartments

"We will market to secretaries, middle managers and restaurant workers who work downtown but can't afford to live there," he said.

Rents will begin at $800 a month and top out at $1,600 at The Rockefeller, Prioreschi said. The building will include a basement indoor pool, a rooftop entertainment area with a sun deck, a gym, hardwood floors and stainless-steel appliances.

They also mentioned plans to do similar projects to other buildings around town, hopefully they come through on that one...

Edited by mikeas

I would love to see more of this happening to the few older buildings left downtown. Renovating old buildings is about the only way to produce more affordable cost apartments because they dont involve building from the ground up. I can think of a few buildings around the Union Mission I would like to see this happen to.

You don't know how happy this makes me, lol.

Affordable apartments in downtown Norfolk? Amazing.

Our downtown is growing at a substantial rate.

US Development President David Bryant said his company plans to spend more than $100 million developing 1,000 to 1,500 residential units in existing downtown buildings over the next decade. The company is eyeing other historic Norfolk buildings as rental-complex candidates. Downtown Norfolk has experienced a growth spurt in condominiums and, more recently, upscale apartments. More than 500 apartments have been or will be built at Wells Fargo Center and Belmont at Freemason downtown, and 201 Twenty One, near Ghent.

"We came here and walked the streets at 6 in the morning and 12 o'clock at night to really get the feeling for what the city is like," he said of a visit to Norfolk in July 2008. "We realized right away that there's so much growth potential here."