Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Think US development will use this plan^?

I wouldn't be surprised..

But that's probably a little further down the road.

They'll probably wait for the Rockefeller to be absorbed into the market. After that's done, I'd like them to move on to the "Leaning tower" on Granby. Fix the structure, renovate the entire building into $800/m apartments and a nice retailer on the street level and that would be an amazing improvement for Granby St. I'm so excited to watch the efforts of US Development evolve and hope they can revive Granby into the vibrant street that it should be. Not to mention, the addition of "affordable work-force housing" into the market will force developments like the Belmont to lower their rents. It's a win-win situation.

Think US development will use this plan^?

I know we are simply referring to this as the warehouse...but I was told in my high school history class that this building use to be a "icehouse" for storing ice for individual and commercial purchase before refrigerators/freezers were common.

Has anyone else heard this?

These are the 5 buildings that may be redevelooped, in adddition to the conversion @ UnionMission:

Leaning tower on left side of street:

392131000.jpg

Royster building

392141000.jpg

Bankers Trust building

392151000.jpg

Former Trader Publishing on Plume

392161000.jpg

Warehouse or Icehouse or whatever..

392181000.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"R-06

Downtown Development Certificate for 139 Riverview Avenue

If approved the applicant will be permitted to convert the building previously used by Krisp-Pac for packaging raw ingredients for salad mixes into 76 residential units within the Fort Norfolk area. Approval is recommended.

"

Looks like more apartment conversions for the Fort Norfolk area.

"R-06

If approved the applicant will be permitted to convert the building previously used by Krisp-Pac for packaging raw ingredients for salad mixes into 76 residential units within the Fort Norfolk area. Approval is recommended.

"

click on the attachment to view the building, she is not that much to look at right now:

post-23256-12608362285177_thumb.jpg

Edited by ronsmytheiii

"R-06

"

I love that they're so precise. What's next, "land previously used for the urination of animals"?

Is it just me, or does the above sentence and physical appearance of the accompanying building make you want to return your latest purchase of pre-boxed salad greens?

new Depaul hospital builging, along with hotel remake plans:

Bricks and mortar officially began moving Tuesday at Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center, as the old began falling to make room for the new. Demolition began on a building that hadn’t been used in more than a year on the western part of the hospital property, starting the first phase of what hospital officials’ call the “rejuvenation” of the aging campus.

The crown jewel of the $200 million project will be a new, smaller 124-bed hospital, which officials are awaiting final approval for from the state Health Department.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/12/demolition-starts-planned-rejuvenation-depaul-complex

Driving back from Portsmouth yesterday on I-264 , looked like a test pile drive was going on at NSU, is that correct?

Edit: from what I can recall and looking at the Budget Amendment Request, it looks like it is the start of construction of the fine arts building expansion.

http://www.nsu.edu/legislative/pdf/BudgetAmendmentRequestPackageGeneralAssembly2009.pdf

Edited by ronsmytheiii

• 3 weeks later...

With rents proposed to average about $1,400, a $26 million luxury apartment complex planned for Tidewater Drive near Norview is the kind of upscale development the city covets. Lakewood Manor Apartments would house about 300 residents in a waterfront complex that would have a swimming pool and a clubhouse.

But with 187 apartments on just 5 acres, the proposal has drawn fire from neighborhood leaders who say it would put too many people on too little land.

Because of that opposition, a public hearing and City Council vote scheduled for tonight likely will be postponed indefinitely, according to Norfolk attorney Vincent J. Mastracco Jr., who represents the Bonaventure Realty Group of Arlington.

The NIMBY's arise!

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/neighbors-oppose-luxury-apartments-norfolk

I do not know how I feel about this project, however, I do not know about civic leagues dictating what is built where in a city. I guess it has it advantages and disadvantages.

I will say that we need to consider and change what is luxury in this town. 1600 can be luxury, but who has the income to support it?

I wonder if its a suburban type of apts. I would be upset if it was

There was a site plan on the Norfolk City Council Agenda. Basically 2 4 story buildings surrounding a parking lot, with a pool and clubhouse overlooking the river. There was a 3-2 split from the Planning Commission with some real concerns including access to the property, amount of parking, and amount of open space. That adjacent property owners take an active interest in a rezoning request that will impact their lives, their homes, and the value of their property should be considered a positive. It seems the door is wide open for them to revise the project to conform to accepted standards and move ahead.