Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

It doesn't in my opinion..

A least for Hampton Roads standards.

Then again, isn't much of Nofolk "suburban"anyway?

It looks suburban, but really so does the rest of the area. It's so far removed from downtown and really, what is really "walkable" in that area anyway. Just an infill project and something Norfolk can tax to fund more improvements DT hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news on the New Ford plant, although I dont think anything will actually happen until the new HRT maintenance facility opens:

Ford Motor Co. is in discussions with an Atlanta developer who wants to buy the shuttered Norfolk assembly plant and redevelop it into a mixed use industrial site, a spokeswoman said Thursday. Jim Jacoby, who has a track record of redevelopment projects in Atlanta, has been in discussions with Ford for “a while,” said Stefanie Denby, a spokeswoman for the Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker.

The developer is known for an Atlanta project called Atlantic Station – a 138-acre retail, condo and apartment development on the site of a former steel mill. The project took nearly a decade and opened in 2005. More recently, Jacoby Development Inc. purchased a 122-acre Ford assembly plant near the Atlanta airport with plans to turn it into a mixed-use development including office, retail and hospitality space.

http://hamptonroads....folk-ford-plant

Wow, I hope we get something like Atlantic Station:

24atlantic.xlarge1.jpg

home-pano.jpg

http://www.atlanticstation.com/

Edited by ronsmytheiii

Unfortunately it says in the article that the developer is looking towards mixed "industrial" uses, so nothing like what you see above will be built here.

Mixed industrial use includes light industrial and also can include retail/or housing. Looking at their website they are committed to alternative energies and mixed-use development, so perhaps the industrial can act as an anchor. I doubt they would just use the Ford plant for solar panels.

Unfortunately it says in the article that the developer is looking towards mixed "industrial" uses, so nothing like what you see above will be built here.

What is unfortunate is that no other heavy industrial company could be found to take it over, especially given its proximity to transportation and overall condition. If the US is to ever rebalance the economy, it needs to start producing stuff again.

The green energy bit is total fluff and marketing.

An Atlantic Station type development would be great for Norfolk, but I don't see it happening for this property. Atlantic Station works (some people in ATL don't think it works, but the standards are very different there) because it is an addendum to Midtown/Downtown. The Ford location would compete with Downtown, therefore it will likely stay industrial.

An equal comparison to the Atlantic Station project would be if Tidewater Gardens where demolished and replace with Retail and housing mix doubling the size of downtown.

The first time I visited Atlantic Station I had to stop the car in amazement. I said its as if an entire section of ATL was bulldozed and rebuilt. It was an old steel mill and a few neighborhoods that most people were afraid to even drive through. Now its the center of life for Midtown.

But do note that Atlantic Station had some what of a housing crash of its own with many condo going unsold and now being auctioned at far below the auction price..(similar to Miami). This is also why I think the Ford property will stay commercial.

It's good to see a big city developer looking at Norfolk though. Maybe if the Ford Plant site is successful we could get something along the lines of Atlantic Station in the St Pauls Quadrant. I think it'd be good for the city to get a planned development almost like VB Town Center in the SPQ.

But why wouldnt that AS development work and how would it compete with Downtown? Imagine 30 floor condo towers overlooking the water.

It's good to see a big city developer looking at Norfolk though. Maybe if the Ford Plant site is successful we could get something along the lines of Atlantic Station in the St Pauls Quadrant. I think it'd be good for the city to get a planned development almost like VB Town Center in the SPQ.

But why wouldnt that AS development work and how would it compete with Downtown? Imagine 30 floor condo towers overlooking the water.

I dont think it would compete with downtown either. If anything it would help downtown. all of those people would live fairly close to downtown. if it was built as a TOD with some type of service to downtown that would be great.

Grow Interactive, a tech/advertising firm is moving operations to a newly purchased building on Granby Street.

They appear to do work for large corporations across the country. (Starbucks, Intel, HP, Motorola)

http://www.altdaily....-on-granby.html

Sounds great to me.I liked everything he said :D

DT Norfolk needs more companies/people like Grow Interactive.

That building is rough at the moment though.

WATER’S EDGE BY CLARK NEXSEN, for the following applications on property fronting 1,287 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Campostella Road, beginning 125 feet, more or less, from the northern line of Arlington Avenue and extending northwardly; premises numbered 350 Campostella Road:

a. To amend the General Plan of Norfolk , 1992 from medium density residential to high density residential.

b. To amend the Zoning Ordinance of the City of Norfolk , 1992 to create the Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development District (PD-R) Water’s Edge.

c. For a Change of Zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) district to PD-R Water’s Edge (Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development) district. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow for a multiple-family development

This must've been a good one. I really wonder what this was now. <_<

CONTINUED INDEFINITELY

2. WATER’S EDGE BY CLARK NEXSEN, for the following applications on property

fronting 1,287 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Campostella Road, beginning

125 feet, more or less, from the northern line of Arlington Avenue and extending

northwardly; premises numbered 350 Campostella Road:

a. To amend the General Plan of Norfolk, 1992 from medium density residential to

high density residential.

b. To amend the Zoning Ordinance of the City of Norfolk, 1992 to create the

Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development District (PD-R)

Water’s Edge.

c. For a Change of Zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) district to PD-R Water’s

Edge (Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development) district. The

purpose of the rezoning is to allow for a multiple-family development

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was wrong, going to just make Solar panels:

The Atlanta developer who wants to turn Ford Motor Co.’s shuttered Norfolk pickup-truck assembly plant into an alternative energy park said Friday he hopes to close on the property by September.

“We’re in our environmental due diligence right now,” Jacoby told reporters. “We’re also looking at other opportunities for tenants, partnerships with alternative energy manufacturers.” The developer has declined to release specific details about the deal, because of a nondisclosure agreement with the Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker. The city of Norfolk values the property around $84 million for tax purposes.

Jacoby said he planned to produce solar panels at the site as well as use it for other alternative energy operations, such as producing equipment used for wind energy.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/02/atlanta-developer-hopes-close-norfolks-former-ford-plant-september#comment-854968