Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Oh yes, the Hardees is horrible.. and the Blockbuster is even worse.

Well, Blockbuster will probably go under in the next few year or so. The #2 video rental store chain, Movie Gallery, went bankrupt earlier this year. As for Hardee's, it'll be there for years. Hardee's is in great shape, and i doubt they will want to get rid of that location.

Gotta admit, I love stopping at Hardee's to get a sausage biscuit on my way to ODU. :)

I think Ghent has enough banks...honestly, they could stand to work on expanding the parking lot of that adjacent strip mall, the one with Moe's, Quizno's, Total Wine, etc. Smooth over the property, and do a mix of parking spaces, and a similarly designed building, something that fits into the 21st St. architecture.

Three things Ghent could use:

1. Chik-Fil-A

2. Jason's Deli

3. Wawa

Honestly, #2 is probably the only one that would fit in with the other Ghent businesses, i.e. Panera, Tropical Smoothie. #s 1 and 3 could be placed on the Monticello side, which is technically not quite Ghent. Hell, any gas station for that matter, the BP and Exxon aren't quite enough IMO.

Gotta admit, I love stopping at Hardee's to get a sausage biscuit on my way to ODU. :)

I think Ghent has enough banks...honestly, they could stand to work on expanding the parking lot of that adjacent strip mall, the one with Moe's, Quizno's, Total Wine, etc. Smooth over the property, and do a mix of parking spaces, and a similarly designed building, something that fits into the 21st St. architecture.

Three things Ghent could use:

1. Chik-Fil-A

2. Jason's Deli

3. Wawa

Honestly, #2 is probably the only one that would fit in with the other Ghent businesses, i.e. Panera, Tropical Smoothie. #s 1 and 3 could be placed on the Monticello side, which is technically not quite Ghent. Hell, any gas station for that matter, the BP and Exxon aren't quite enough IMO.

By expanding the parking lot, do you mean adding spaces or taking them away? If they took spaces away the area would become way too congested and they shopping center wouldn't meet parking requirements. I actually think that little strip of shops and restaurants fits in nicely with the 21st street environment and it still seems somewhat urban to me, even with the setback.

And in terms of your list, as long as the Jason's Deli is better than the one at Pembroke (disgusting and horrible service) I'd be for it.

Definitely add. That parking lot is a nightmare to park in, and even worse trying to get out of! Even if it would create a slightly longer walk, an expanded parking lot would be an improvement.

I've ever been to the Jason's Deli at Pembroke, but the one in Greenbrier is pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...

how many of us believe that the downtown norfolk westin, supposed to be norfolk's 2nd tallest tower and the completion to a wonderful main streeet restoration should be put to rest?

I wouldnt worry too much about it, actually I wouldnt bother thinking too much about it to begin with. This is something that will more than likely happen, but not until there is a clear improvement with the economy. When you start reading articles about people traveling more, then I think it is safe to ask about when will the Westin be built. Until then, it will probably stay on hold.

With it having the extra convention center space Norfolk wants, plus its location to the Marriott's convention center space, it is a safe bet this will eventually happen.

Promenade Pointe a project that will bring 187 luxury apartments to Norfolks waterfront faces opposition from neighbors

Roland Park neighbors plan to kick off a petition drive tonight to protest the construction of a $28 million apartment complex. The City Council voted 6-2 Tuesday night to approve the project after a full-house public hearing. The project, dubbed Promenade Pointe, will bring 187 luxury apartments to the waterfront near Norview Avenue and Tidewater Drive, currently the site of a vacant nursing home.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/06/norfolk-oks-luxury-apartment-project

I'm against it because Norfolk can't fill the luxury housing it's already built. Waste of money.

When will these city officials realize that people in this region don't make the money to live in $1200 1BR apartments?! SMH

Theres a HUGE disconnect between the citizens and those who build apartment complexes and condos as well as housing. The politicians need to do better job of articulating to the builders in the entire metro as well as Norfolk what is needed housing wise. We see this all the time here locally and the news has been reporting also on some citizens about to be ousted from there trailer parks to build homes. Some of these homes are on the Va Beach side and the others are on the Chesapeake side. The Chesapeake side is being sold with no regards to the citizens and were they will live.

Bottom line as cruel as this may sound, the have nots suffer from a lack of voice that speaks for them. There just aren't any politicians willing to do whats right for free and no perks. I have seen this trend over and over again were prices have skyrocketed in a metro were some can afford these prices but, the majority just can't. So many cases of homes and apartments that people cant afford its amazing. In the economic downturn were still in its become worse. The owners raise there prices to cover there cost/expenses and builders are doing the same. Its complicated to say the least. BFG is correct that most cant afford the prices for places to live and the small amount who can just dont match the supply and its why the vacancies remain along with the economic downturn telling folks who can to downsize and live below there means. The downturn has put us ALL in check financially and has folks doing whats needed over what makes folks look rich and better than others, those days are gone and somebody needs to alert the builders and owners of the homes/apartments being sold at these high prices!!!

$1,200 a month buys a house and a apartment at that price is Northeast United States priced!!! L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gif

When you have to give up something to remain in a certain place, the way you handle your money changes. For instance, when I brought my house, at the time, you couldn't get much better without paying tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnssssssssss of money. And the house I own is in a economic deprived neighborhood. If you want to live close to work, or were you play, in this area, it often means you have to give up a lot, usually most of your income. Developers figure they can get the money because eventually someone moves in. As long as they get "someone" to move it, they believe they set the prices at the right price. A change to make that right happens over decades, not years. And considering business is slow in the area, growth is moderate in the area, this will go on for some time. I just do not agree with the price...

I agree, it will take decades to change this issue, its no few year fix and your right, some people buy the units eventually! Money drives peoples motives and Im experiencing that everyday. Affordable homes are hard to come by and this economy is horrible. Im amazed at how bad it is. I dont blame any person, its effecting what were discussing here. The dollar value drops and cost go up and that doesnt help home prices at all nor renting apartments etc.,!

Home sales dropped in May showing the downturn economically continues. We go on day to day dealing with the reality but, kind of unaffected because as we know we have to do what we have to do despite the financial turmoil the country is in, we press on. So many issues in the states and affordable housing on all levels is a concern. When celebrities let mortgages go into foreclosure when they still have plenty of money, you know the issue is BIG. I know alot of stars who just let there homes go and didnt pay the mortgages because the value was gone. These are trying times and if any member is in a bind keep in mind once the storm passes the sun shines. Be strong!L.G.N.Mshades.gifshades.gifshades.gif

Edited by usermel

If businesses want to build overpriced housing on their own, I say let them go for it. As long as the gov't gets out of the way, once the businesses fail then the housing stock will be returned to the market at a fair price.

If it wasn't for the gov't holding up housing prices now, it'd be way cheaper. The gov't giving out $8000 to people who buy homes (this was pushed by the Realtors lobbyist group who originally wanted it to be $15,000) has really kept the market moving. I think it costs us taxpayers something like $40,000 per home sold to give out that $8,000, but I don't remember the source of that. Also, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which now require something like a $1,000,000,000,000 ($1 trillion dollar) bailout are the source for most new loans, many of which will go bad. This stuff just doesn't get press because so many people have an interest in keeping the values artificially inflated, they don't want to admit it.

I know a few friends that have sold recently, and all have been short sales of $50,000+ less than what was owed.

As a country, people need to get this ish out of their system that they are gonna get n rich by reselling crap over and over, and not really doing anything of value. Need to make cool stuff and push mankind forward. Where is our 400mph trains. I only get to live so many years, I want jetsons up in this piece by the time I clock out.

The sad truth is this, what we see is who we are as a country. What I mean is the majority of Americans have become spoiled and fame obsessed. Becoming rich is most peoples goal at childhood. When I look outside I rarely see kids outside. Seems the only place that still has kids outdoors playing is the hood and not as much but, still has kids outside though. Overall the issues with housing isnt the fault of the few citizens not caught up in things defining them. Those of us who don't truly believe wearing Gucci makes them better than those wearing LaCoste! Look at TV and as always it reflects the mindset of America. Shows like TrueBlood and movies like Twilight only scratch the surface. People are lost and what happened with home prices is just a small example of the greed that has over taken the minds of adults and the youth who see shows like Jersey Shore and real Housewives of New York(and the other Housewives shows) and feel they can and should be rich to. What caused the economic downturn? Greed on ALL levels. There are some responsible people in this country but, how many of us purchased cars we couldnt truly afford to do the service on. How many of us purchased homes at 1% interest rates that wouldnt last forever and when the rate jumped on us we lost the homes. YES, the system was corrupt to allow the institutions who made the lions share able to do as they did but, we all are guilty if we participated in anyway.

Credit should be used when we can afford to pay it back, not to finance our lifestyles. My point is this. As long as Americans feel the need to buy over priced homes/apartments those who build them will do so until we the consumer decides our happiness isnt tied up into were we live or what we drive but, truly by our character and the type of parents we are and humans we raise our kids to be and that cost nothing. Money itself isnt corrupt, its people who corrupt the things we sell. The consumer dictates what the seller will price his/her product for and for a while we got greedy and as well always do, we blame the other guy or big business. You cant sell what people wont buy. Prices will come down but the sad part is folks like me who owed nothing on a credit card and lived below my means and didnt finance my lifestyle via credit paid for those who did the opposite and thats the bad part of this thing.

Heck I feel you Telmnstr, I feel the bite of housing being overpriced and now dropping each year the assessment comes and all I say to myself is, I did nothing wrong but, I have to pay like a man who did. That said, Im not angry but, Im hopeful that we as citizens see we dictate what the market prices items at. If we live within and below our means maybe then prices will become reasonable. Until then, I cant see it changing. You know humans, we mourn and after a while things go back to normal. When folks get right financially they'll be bacj at Phillips Mercedes and Checkered Flag BMW! HHAHAHAHA! L.G.N.Mshades.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. So it is CHEAPER to live in Richmond and they make higher salaries on average.

Yea a friend who grew up here worked for one of the local hospital systems. To move up any, he had to move to Richmond. In Richmond he is paid higher for the same job role, and was able to purchase a nice home outside of Richmond (close to his job.) He said he would like to move back here because of friends, but a similar house would be twice as much ($400K) and of course his employer would pay less, so he would need to switch employers.

They don't list Raleigh on the cost of living calculator. And I'd question the accuracy, because Norfolk's housing stock is quite a bit different.

I just hit ForRent.com, and found apartment that don't seem too unlike the new ones built in Norfolk in Alexandria, VA at asking prices similar.

Interesting. So it is CHEAPER to live in Richmond and they make higher salaries on average.

After growing up in VB and now living in Richmond, I would have to agree with that assumption. Housing prices here aren't as high because there is ample room for the metro area to still expand. With all of the politicians working in Richmond too, the roads here seem to continually get extended outward and encourage new growth (although inner city roads suffer mightily). In Norfolk, there isn't really anywhere left to expand, so the value of homes there is inflated while wages stay the same.

After growing up in VB and now living in Richmond, I would have to agree with that assumption. Housing prices here aren't as high because there is ample room for the metro area to still expand. With all of the politicians working in Richmond too, the roads here seem to continually get extended outward and encourage new growth (although inner city roads suffer mightily). In Norfolk, there isn't really anywhere left to expand, so the value of homes there is inflated while wages stay the same.

Richmond has managed to keep a fairly small foot print over the years. It seems like they have really only started the massive suburbia spread in the past 10 years or so... Richmond also offers a lot of apartments in the vicinity of downtown at reasonable rates, something we lack at the moment. Maybe instead of closing JFCOM Gates should take a look at eliminating the military housing allowance. It would really even the playing field around here in my opinion.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/08/housing-market-swoons-rentals-boom-norfolk

"The apartment market in Hampton Roads remains very strong," Franklin said. "We still see a lot of demand in Norfolk."

Franklin said the 120 units at the SouthWind Apartments, an income-restricted development that opened near Southern Shopping Center, are sold out. The River House Apartments, a luxury complex of 194 units at the base of the Granby Street b ridge in Riverview, are 85 percent leased and likely will be sold out by mid-October, Franklin said.

Nusbaum is also building 141 apartments in the Wells Fargo Center, a downtown mixed-use development that includes a 23-story office tower.

Earlier this summer the council approved The Promenade Pointe, a $28 million, 187-unit apartment complex off Tidewater Drive that survived a petition drive by some residents of the nearby Roland Park neighborhood.

Two other complexes with a combined nearly 500 units, the Belmont at Freemason near downtown and 201 Twenty One in Ghent, opened earlier this year. Daniel W. Aston, a partner with Roseland Properties, which developed 201 Twenty One, said the complex will be 95 percent leased by mid-September. Belmont officials weren't available on Monday, but said last month that their complex was about half leased.

Combined, the seven complexes would add more than 1,300 units to the city.

US Development has also proposed transforming the downtown Union Mission into a 90-unit apartment building. The South Carolina company has yet to close on its purchase.

A proposal from Collins Enterprises to develop the 189-unit Landmark at Talbot Park complex near Wards Corner faces an uncertain future. Collins received approval in 2008 to build condominiums on the property but has proposed building apartments instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm suspicious of anything the Pilot says about real estate. Every one of their articles on RE reads like a paid advertisement.

Of course they only build so-called upscale buildings now because everyone wants to milk as much money as possible from their investment, and this means finding the point where you can charge the most for the least. And thus I give you granite and stainless steel.

FWIW, my apartment building continues to empty. Changing faces. The young and energetic are leaving the area. The older people seem to be replacing them (in this building.)