Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Right, well I consider SPQ as Downtown for the sake of simplification. And I think Norfolk can focus on more than one strategic growth area at a time.

City government doesn't operate in a vacuum when it comes to development. It's the private sector that is risking the money, and so they do extensive research and are very careful as to where exactly to place their brick-and-mortar.  City government is very unlikely to persuade private enterprise to invest where they don't want to invest or where they don't believe they will be most profitable. And while City government should always promote economic growth vigorously, ideally they shouldn't be in the real estate or development business, picking and choosing winners and losers sometimes at taxpayers' expense or actually owning massive blocks of vacant land or even brick and mortar. 

Clearly, there is major, transformative change with significant investment coming from exclusive, outside national retail happening along NH Blvd. And it's actually coming now, not later or in the theoretical.  Hopefully national developers will take notice of IKEA and Simon and will seek to put their hard-earned dollars at risk in Norfolk. In turn, I hope that the city will do their very level best to recruit, to encourage, to market, to incentivize judiciously when appropriate, to rezone when needed, etc.  But what I don't see the city doing is turning a blind eye to any one of the aforementioned development areas to favor or to focus more on another.  I could be wrong.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

In the short term that'd probably be a benefit to Portsmouth and a detriment to Norfolk. Norfolk would be taking on a lot of Portsmouth's problems and Portsmouth would finally have access to a larger tax base. In the long term, I could see that doing wonders for the City of Norfolk and ultimately the region as a whole, both in terms of wider recognition and regionalism. But seeing as it'd probably be a while before we saw any tangible benefits from the merger, I don't see something like that ever happening. City officials in this region don't exactly have a great track record with long-term planning. Plus, the logistics of combining the two cities' governments and utility services would likely be a nightmare.

Came across an article from the mid-2000s that outlined how many headaches there would be. One issue would be forming a council and figuring out who stays and who goes. 

Overall though, I agree that it helps Portsmouth more, without much benefit for Norfolk. 

12 hours ago, Helium3 said:

In the short term that'd probably be a benefit to Portsmouth and a detriment to Norfolk. Norfolk would be taking on a lot of Portsmouth's problems and Portsmouth would finally have access to a larger tax base. In the long term, I could see that doing wonders for the City of Norfolk and ultimately the region as a whole, both in terms of wider recognition and regionalism. But seeing as it'd probably be a while before we saw any tangible benefits from the merger, I don't see something like that ever happening. City officials in this region don't exactly have a great track record with long-term planning. Plus, the logistics of combining the two cities' governments and utility services would likely be a nightmare.

You forget the ports that would bring in taxes...it would be an advantage for both cities but you are right that It would benefit Ptown more

12 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

As a lifelong resident of Norfolk I would love to see light rail extended into Portsmouth.

This would make a lot of sense, if there is any new tunnels to be built between the two cities, light rail should be a part of it (or even a new bridge could work.) Norfolk definitely needs to think about it's future without VB being a part of it. Light rail should be expanded throughout Norfolk and into any of the neighboring cities that wish to be a part of it. It should be given out as an invitation to any city that wishes to work together. It would also make sense for those cities to establish a regional government that is in charge of things like this, that way each city could still have independent governments, as well as a collective government that includes only the cities that want to be included. I could see both Norfolk and Portsmouth benefiting from working together to improve both cities.

It definitely requires some big picture, big city thinking to make something like that happen. Norfolk really needs to just look at VB as being that large suburb to the east that needs Norfolk more than Norfolk needs VB.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to the leaning tower of Norfolk I'm sure jacking up the right side will take a long time and has to be done with great care.  This is a century + old building and there is the potential of undiscovered cracks and faults throughout.  Would jacking up the right side potentially render the building uninhabitable?  I look forward to see exactly how they plan on doing this.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Never understood why that area was built up, especially after LRT. The city has to maximize those LRT stops as much as possible. That area has a lot of potential, and the adjacent old apt area right across the tracks that is tucked away. Just waiting for some redevelopment slated for the city. Considering land is a premium, i'm very shocked that a story like this has just now surfaced.

• Like 1

The article addressed my concerns of they haven't touched the space closer to downtown (behind the first base side), but that would be the first place I start, even if it means driving a few piles into the ground. Being they've done nothing with the property since, I wish they hadn't torn down the old warehouse that used to sit there. IIRC, they tore that down right around the time MacArthur opened; imagine had they converted the warehouse into apartments, and the kind of redevelopment that could've inspired over there...

I'd look into building a new Greyhound terminal, either next to the Amtrak station, or putting up a new building next door. The current location off Brambleton is prime real estate for a new highrise apartment (a downsized Granby Tower, anyone?)

warehouse.jpg

Edited by BFG

17 hours ago, BFG said:

The article addressed my concerns of they haven't touched the space closer to downtown (behind the first base side), but that would be the first place I start, even if it means driving a few piles into the ground. Being they've done nothing with the property since, I wish they hadn't torn down the old warehouse that used to sit there. IIRC, they tore that down right around the time MacArthur opened; imagine had they converted the warehouse into apartments, and the kind of redevelopment that could've inspired over there...

I'd look into building a new Greyhound terminal, either next to the Amtrak station, or putting up a new building next door. The current location off Brambleton is prime real estate for a new highrise apartment (a downsized Granby Tower, anyone?)

warehouse.jpg

i think it would still be an issue with flooding, does anyone know how that can be addressed? basically that area is prone to some flooding, not sure how extensive it is, i try to stay away from DT when it rains.

I remember that building, though I thought it was slimmer. This represents what the city seems to do a lot. "oh, not sure what to do, so lets just level it". All of these things would made for great developments today had they left it.

There is another plot of land right across the tracks tucked away that contains some cheap apts. Probably not ideal for super upscale as there is a power grid/lines on that land, but that needs redeveloping seriously. It could be a great little area leading up to NSU, I wonder what is up with it all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2009 at 4:24 PM, vdogg said:

Anybody know what the heck this is? It just kind of snuck up on the city council agenda and I don't recall seeing this go through planning. Seems substantial. The last time something got in there without us knowing was for Wachovia Center so I have high hopes. :whistling:

WATER’S EDGE BY CLARK NEXSEN, for the following applications on property fronting 1,287 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Campostella Road, beginning 125 feet, more or less, from the northern line of Arlington Avenue and extending northwardly; premises numbered 350 Campostella Road:

a.

To amend the General Plan of Norfolk, 1992 from medium density residential to high density residential.

b.

To amend the Zoning Ordinance of the City of Norfolk, 1992 to create the Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development District (PD-R) Water’s Edge.

c.

For a Change of Zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) district to PD-R Water’s Edge (Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development) district. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow for a multiple-family development

Back from the dead...

http://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/apartments-planned-on-norfolk-s-campostella-waterfront-where-squatters-once/article_f2946d85-3c46-5604-bcb9-10589d755211.html

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Wells Fargo is marketing some office space. The 18th floor is available as well as two very small spaces of 5 & 7,000 sq ft respectively. In the marketing materials there is an area immediately behind the existing tower that has a similar footprint that is marked "future development". Are they perhaps planning a second tower? :huh:

Screenshot_20170724-130141.png

Notice the green space adjacent to the tower. 

Screenshot_20170724-130923.png