Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Yeah, that's entirely possible.  Hoping maybe that the hotel will be at least 6/8. 

I posted it because it's ancillary development to the IKEA and the Simon Norfolk Premium Outlets, which taken as a whole including future development, is an interesting and rather significant new phenomenon for that area of our region.  

I don't know if there's anyway to categorize that here in another thread? I guess we have IKEA, then the Outlets already listed separately. There's a lot more coming down the pike if things go well. I guess could've put this under one of those two but wasn't sure which one. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Norfolk Waterside Marriott SOLD for $35M to RIC based company. Major renovation planned @$19-24M, incl. $4M from ORF for updates to conference center, etc.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/banking-and-finance/norfolk-waterside-marriott-under-contract-for-million-to-richmond-company/article_76a41b56-07ac-538f-96a4-ac86c0bba1bc.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know much about the company but apparently Trader Interactive is moving their headquarters to downtown Norfolk, along with 200 employees. They will occupy three floors of Dominion Tower.

http://wtkr.com/2017/10/27/digital-marketplace-bringing-headquarters-to-norfolk/

That's yet more class A office space off the market. Getting close to needing another tower.

• 4 weeks later...

Norfolk and Portsmouth want to work closer together on projects, including doing more to make the downtowns work with each other. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/norfolk-and-portsmouth-hope-a-new-deal-will-bring-them/article_27929117-17c6-5bc1-8c89-56c1d03ff13e.html

It's not a merger, but it could be a good start. 

I think with his Senate experience, Mayor Alexander could make a lot happen if Norfolk and another city ever considered merging or working closer. Hopefully this idea doesn't just end with just Portsmouth. That's not a diss on P-town, but a few cities need to get involved. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, BFG said:

I think with his Senate experience, Mayor Alexander could make a lot happen if Norfolk and another city ever considered merging or working closer. Hopefully this idea doesn't just end with just Portsmouth. That's not a diss on P-town, but a few cities need to get involved. 

This is what I have been hoping for. It would be nice to see the entire harbor under on city govt. I would like to see South Norfolk  as a part of Norfolk and not Chesapeake, it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of Chesapeake. Maybe they could bring Suffolk in as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love the enthusiasm and the outside-of-the -box thinking, but this merger stuff ain't happening.  At least not within the next 50 years or so. I think we'd have to undergo a bit of growth here some point maybe toward the end of the century, and perhaps that would get people thinking about doing something like this.  You have to remember that there are downsides to these moves, including assuming another city's or area's lack of available land for growth, poorly diversified tax base, relatively less wealthy and/or aging population, their lower credit rating, bad schools, etc, etc. 

Basically & to the cut to the chase, Virginia Beach has no incentive to do any merger deals with anyone.  It also wouldn't make sense for them to let the southern part of the city secede, for that will eventually become their only go-to, new, high growth option. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the enthusiasm and the outside-of-the -box thinking, but this merger stuff ain't happening.  At least not within the next 50 years or so. I think we'd have to undergo a bit of growth here some point maybe toward the end of the century, and perhaps that would get people thinking about doing something like this.  You have to remember that there are downsides to these moves, including assuming another city's or area's lack of available land for growth, poorly diversified tax base, relatively less wealthy and/or aging population, their lower credit rating, bad schools, etc, etc. 

Basically & to the cut to the chase, Virginia Beach has no incentive to do any merger deals with anyone.  It also wouldn't make sense for them to let the southern part of the city secede, for that will eventually become their only go-to, new, high growth option. 

I would be absolutely ecstatic if the southern part of the city seceded...

• Haha 1

Lol.  Well, how about we let a new generation of leaders change the way we do business, and thus responsibly and wisely-- yet purposefully and aggressively--utilize the southern half the city to fuel Virginia Beach's continued growth and prosperity well into the present century.  That's what I'd rather see happen. But I get where you're coming from!

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This kinda snuck under the radar. Looks like Gadams wants to build 250 new apartments downtown on Olney. Not too many details yet though.  Judging by the size of the land, this one may have highrise potential.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/health/norfolk-will-spend-million-on-new-headquarters-for-agency-serving/article_b0c8b469-bdcd-512a-ba4d-a24ffb7d224b.html

"Developer Frank “Buddy” Gadams bought the board’s downtown buildingfor $3.7 million in December 2016 with a plan to eventually demolish it and an adjacent building. He wants to build 250 apartments mixed with retail and parking."

Keep in mind the ICON, at 24 floors, has 300 apartments. Parking garage plus retail should give us a decent size building. It's also the first time significant redevelopment hops north of Brambleton.

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

This kinda snuck under the radar. Looks like Gadams wants to build 250 new apartments downtown on Olney. Not too many details yet though.  Judging by the size of the land, this one may have highrise potential.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/health/norfolk-will-spend-million-on-new-headquarters-for-agency-serving/article_b0c8b469-bdcd-512a-ba4d-a24ffb7d224b.html

"Developer Frank “Buddy” Gadams bought the board’s downtown buildingfor $3.7 million in December 2016 with a plan to eventually demolish it and an adjacent building. He wants to build 250 apartments mixed with retail and parking."

Keep in mind the ICON, at 24 floors, has 300 apartments. Parking garage plus retail should give us a decent size building. It's also the first time significant redevelopment hops north of Brambleton.

Why would he do that in that area of town you suspect? I could only think he would want to capitalize on the views he would get from the north looking south?  One thing is for certain, Gadam is solidifying his name solidly in Norfolk's history. That man is going to have the key to the city one day, Mark my words, lol.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.33.55 PM.png

It's across from the old now-closed 7-11. The article mentioned wanting to offer views of the Hague. If we're considering that downtown (I know that varies depending on who you ask), I say go for something as tall as Hague Towers, if not taller...downtown needs height!

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1