Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

The article addressed my concerns of they haven't touched the space closer to downtown (behind the first base side), but that would be the first place I start, even if it means driving a few piles into the ground. Being they've done nothing with the property since, I wish they hadn't torn down the old warehouse that used to sit there. IIRC, they tore that down right around the time MacArthur opened; imagine had they converted the warehouse into apartments, and the kind of redevelopment that could've inspired over there...

I'd look into building a new Greyhound terminal, either next to the Amtrak station, or putting up a new building next door. The current location off Brambleton is prime real estate for a new highrise apartment (a downsized Granby Tower, anyone?)

warehouse.jpg

Edited by BFG

17 hours ago, BFG said:

The article addressed my concerns of they haven't touched the space closer to downtown (behind the first base side), but that would be the first place I start, even if it means driving a few piles into the ground. Being they've done nothing with the property since, I wish they hadn't torn down the old warehouse that used to sit there. IIRC, they tore that down right around the time MacArthur opened; imagine had they converted the warehouse into apartments, and the kind of redevelopment that could've inspired over there...

I'd look into building a new Greyhound terminal, either next to the Amtrak station, or putting up a new building next door. The current location off Brambleton is prime real estate for a new highrise apartment (a downsized Granby Tower, anyone?)

warehouse.jpg

i think it would still be an issue with flooding, does anyone know how that can be addressed? basically that area is prone to some flooding, not sure how extensive it is, i try to stay away from DT when it rains.

I remember that building, though I thought it was slimmer. This represents what the city seems to do a lot. "oh, not sure what to do, so lets just level it". All of these things would made for great developments today had they left it.

There is another plot of land right across the tracks tucked away that contains some cheap apts. Probably not ideal for super upscale as there is a power grid/lines on that land, but that needs redeveloping seriously. It could be a great little area leading up to NSU, I wonder what is up with it all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2009 at 4:24 PM, vdogg said:

Anybody know what the heck this is? It just kind of snuck up on the city council agenda and I don't recall seeing this go through planning. Seems substantial. The last time something got in there without us knowing was for Wachovia Center so I have high hopes. :whistling:

WATER’S EDGE BY CLARK NEXSEN, for the following applications on property fronting 1,287 feet, more or less, along the eastern line of Campostella Road, beginning 125 feet, more or less, from the northern line of Arlington Avenue and extending northwardly; premises numbered 350 Campostella Road:

a.

To amend the General Plan of Norfolk, 1992 from medium density residential to high density residential.

b.

To amend the Zoning Ordinance of the City of Norfolk, 1992 to create the Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development District (PD-R) Water’s Edge.

c.

For a Change of Zoning from C-2 (Corridor Commercial) district to PD-R Water’s Edge (Water’s Edge Apartments Residential Planned Development) district. The purpose of the rezoning is to allow for a multiple-family development

Back from the dead...

http://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/apartments-planned-on-norfolk-s-campostella-waterfront-where-squatters-once/article_f2946d85-3c46-5604-bcb9-10589d755211.html

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Wells Fargo is marketing some office space. The 18th floor is available as well as two very small spaces of 5 & 7,000 sq ft respectively. In the marketing materials there is an area immediately behind the existing tower that has a similar footprint that is marked "future development". Are they perhaps planning a second tower? :huh:

Screenshot_20170724-130141.png

Notice the green space adjacent to the tower. 

Screenshot_20170724-130923.png

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, that's entirely possible.  Hoping maybe that the hotel will be at least 6/8. 

I posted it because it's ancillary development to the IKEA and the Simon Norfolk Premium Outlets, which taken as a whole including future development, is an interesting and rather significant new phenomenon for that area of our region.  

I don't know if there's anyway to categorize that here in another thread? I guess we have IKEA, then the Outlets already listed separately. There's a lot more coming down the pike if things go well. I guess could've put this under one of those two but wasn't sure which one. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Norfolk Waterside Marriott SOLD for $35M to RIC based company. Major renovation planned @$19-24M, incl. $4M from ORF for updates to conference center, etc.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/banking-and-finance/norfolk-waterside-marriott-under-contract-for-million-to-richmond-company/article_76a41b56-07ac-538f-96a4-ac86c0bba1bc.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know much about the company but apparently Trader Interactive is moving their headquarters to downtown Norfolk, along with 200 employees. They will occupy three floors of Dominion Tower.

http://wtkr.com/2017/10/27/digital-marketplace-bringing-headquarters-to-norfolk/

That's yet more class A office space off the market. Getting close to needing another tower.

• 4 weeks later...

Norfolk and Portsmouth want to work closer together on projects, including doing more to make the downtowns work with each other. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/norfolk-and-portsmouth-hope-a-new-deal-will-bring-them/article_27929117-17c6-5bc1-8c89-56c1d03ff13e.html

It's not a merger, but it could be a good start. 

I think with his Senate experience, Mayor Alexander could make a lot happen if Norfolk and another city ever considered merging or working closer. Hopefully this idea doesn't just end with just Portsmouth. That's not a diss on P-town, but a few cities need to get involved. 

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1