Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

1. I hope with the proximity to the Museum of Art, the design and materials are appropriate and well done.

2. How many apartments was Granby Tower going to be? Could this be a potential site for a Granby Toweresque project? The lot/block seems big enough.

3. A tall mixed-use building here would have great views over downtown to the south.

4. It's about time Buddy does something spectacular.

5. I won't be let down if it's not a high rise as long as it builds the community fabric and brings life to its surrounding area.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2017 at 9:34 PM, BFG said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 9.33.55 PM.png

It's across from the old now-closed 7-11. The article mentioned wanting to offer views of the Hague. If we're considering that downtown (I know that varies depending on who you ask), I say go for something as tall as Hague Towers, if not taller...downtown needs height!

Interesting.  I did not know that was up for sale, nor that it had been purchased.  Should be interesting.

What about the flooding down there?  That entire area needs to be raised.  Maybe we'll get a new parking garage out of the deal.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ho-hum, ho-hum. But at least it will get rid of a couple eyesores.  

Since the Granby Tower fiasco, he has been extremely, extremely conservative. Even as renovations go, very conservative. I haven't liked a couple of his buildings... at all. Cheap.

His newest prizes, well, it wasn't much of a gamble knowing he could make $40 million in one year. Yes,  he knew this going in. That was the real play all along.  

So, still no ground-up, high-rise, new residential construction for downtown. Cordish was denied by the city, & Gaddams has not been willing to do it.  Too much other lower hanging fruit available with nearly zero competition.

Edited by baobabs727

I wonder if Buddy is scared of going tall because of the Granby Tower fiasco? He has to realize part of that wasn't his fault; the economy was awful 10 years ago and downtown wasn't as vibrant. I think now would be a great time to take a chance on a sleek high-rise apartment. Maybe 20-25 stories, and a slim, glass design. I always thought GT looked too bulky.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, BFG said:

I wonder if Buddy is scared of going tall because of the Granby Tower fiasco? He has to realize part of that wasn't his fault; the economy was awful 10 years ago and downtown wasn't as vibrant. I think now would be a great time to take a chance on a sleek high-rise apartment. Maybe 20-25 stories, and a slim, glass design. I always thought GT looked too bulky.

I would also question if Buddy was really qualified to do a large tower, that is a major undertaking and could have been more than he could handle. Though if he expands his business in Norfolk doing these smaller projects, that can be a huge benefit for the city as it helps to create a more urban feel for the city.

• Like 1

Wasn't really sure where post this ... maybe Off-topic would be better but here it is. 

The NRHA bought the PNC Bank building and plans to make it patially residential down the line in 10 years or so. When I saw the headline I was hoping they would put it up for redevelopment and we could get a taller better looking tower out of it.

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_6e4e9a48-bfa0-5d39-96e2-2975c5d65163.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Iconic Sheraton Norfolk Waterside nearing completion of a $12M renovation. Looks fantastic!

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/article_34137484-9658-11e8-809a-dfdf33244743.html 

Meanwhile, The Norfolk Waterside Marriott is undergoing a $25M renovation. Undoubtably, both of these hotels were forced to reinvest millions as a result of the delivery last year of the game-changing Norfolk Hilton--The Main.

• Like 1

You're right, the Holiday Inn on Military Highway shouldn't be a skyscraper but the waterfront hotel that's longer the a city block should be taller then 10 floors. Granted I'm sure it was built when Downtown was pretty dead. Isn't Gateway Tower going to be offices? IDC about office views, if it was apts then that would mean something.

• Like 1

Sheraton was built in 1976. Yes, Downtown was much sleepier then. Land was cheaper. Plus...in a waterfront bldg smack dab on the water's edge, views of the water are actually better on the lower floors, somewhat depending on the width or expansiveness of the particular waterway vis-a-vis the occupant's view out the windows. Sheraton may have taken that into account, idk. Probably just trying to use up their allocation of "coastline" though!

Additionally, there is a specific reason or three why there is only one highrise along the waterfront at present. 1) The Great Harvey Lindsay was the developer. 2) He built Dominion Tower way down at the "Gateway" (ironic that it is he who will be bookending/completing that major entry point nearly 35 yrs later) out of the view of all other Class A bldgs and, at that time, other empty bldg sites across the street. 3) The City did not want skyscrapers along the seawall precisely because they would block views, devalue CBD properties, and essentially, as private developments, prevent real public/communal access to the waterfront...at least any access to large, contiguous tracts that would...oh...say...support events drawing 150k+ people over a weekend! This actually applies to ANY development along the water--if it wasn't a park or some other public gathering space, the City wasn't interested. Still isn't!

Finally, as 23320 says, views can be quite impactful on Class A rent rates. That was my point.

Edited by baobabs727

21 hours ago, 23320 said:

Views are important to Class A office tenants too. And if you’re going to complain about low rises on the waterfront you should start with Waterside. At least there was an opportunity to redevelop it at one point. 

A building with bars and restaurants for entertainment purposes is much different than offices, apartment buildings and hotels.

I understand views are important to Class A office tenants but just because you move into this building and have wonderful views doesn't mean someone can come and plop a building in front of yours. You do not own the view. It is a consequence of working in a downtown, especially one that all of the office building are pretty much the same size.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2018 at 4:37 AM, ntheo said:

Last night City Council approved lease for 100 block of Granby Street.

Granby Station Food Hall

https://www.granbystation.com/

5:10 into the video.

That is awesome, we have them in Portland as they become more popular and real estate becomes more limited. A great way to create an urban gathering area around food options.

Wasn’t it continued to next month?  I’m sure it’ll get approved though. 

I went to one of them in the video when I visited NYC and it was a cool concept and pretty much what the Waterside food court is. Much less risk for an entrepreneur just starting out so hopefully there will be some exciting new concepts 

Ahhh...millennials. Let's call the food court a "hall", put reclaimed wood, galvanized pipe, exposed brick and garage doors and now it's cool. Sorry, couldn't resist it's just funny to me. 

Anyway, I get the concept and see how it could greatly help a sandwich maker/brewer or whatever just starting out. The Selden Market is similar in this concept. I'm sure this may pull some business from Waterside...but I wouldn't worry too much.  

• Like 2