Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

19 minutes ago, BFG said:

This could complement the bars and clubs nicely, esp. if they stay open later. Downtown could use more late night food options. 

Remember just five years ago when businesses were complaining about food trucks? :P

The downtown Civic League would probably shut that down. They have opposed the last two restaurants that have applied for late night hours. 

21 hours ago, ORF flyer said:

The downtown Civic League would probably shut that down. They have opposed the last two restaurants that have applied for late night hours. 

Ahh. "I want to live in a city, but I want to change everything that makes living in a city different from living in suburbia." If they have a problem with late night bars/restaurants, they should've stayed in Va. Beach or Chesapeake.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, vdogg said:

Ahh. "I want to live in a city, but I want to change everything that makes living in a city different from living in suburbia." If they have a problem with late night bars/restaurants, they should've stayed in Va. Beach or Chesapeake.

Hence why downtown Norfolk will never reach the level of other cities, until the powers that be implement people who know how a downtown should operate.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 8:54 AM, carolinaboy said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Seems like it could hurt Waterside. To me it's like building a new mall a few blocks from MacArthur. Doesn't seem necessary.

You been in there lately?  Most of the quick service food options have been reduced or removed.  No poke/ramen.  The "local" place had only wings and fries.  The salad/wrap stand is just selling t-shirts.  Oyster bar is not open.  Waterside marketplace is just a couple bars essentially now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikeas said:

You been in there lately?  Most of the quick service food options have been reduced or removed.  No poke/ramen.  The "local" place had only wings and fries.  The salad/wrap stand is just selling t-shirts.  Oyster bar is not open.  Waterside marketplace is just a couple bars essentially now.

No, I haven't been since early summer. Can't say I 'm surprised.

Well, Guy Fieri's Smokehouse is not a "bar."  Neither is The Harbor Club. Neither is the swanky Striper's Seafood Restaurant.  Neither is Cogan's Pizza. Neither is Chipotle.

Neither is The Fudgery. Neither is Carolina Cupcakes for that matter.

And most all other food stand operations have simply been relocated to Blue Moon Taphouse's expansive kitchen. You can still order pretty much everything. 

So, um yeah. "Waterside District:  More than just a couple 'bars.'"

• Like 1

I'm just talking about the "Marketplace" component which was supposed to be a bunch of quick service food options.  Now it's just a select few QSR food options and some bars.  In other words the Food Hall concept would not compete with waterside at all because you could actually order food...

Here's the Pilot article on the food hall. I know it brings more foot traffic downtown, think the NEON District would've been a better location. Like others said, it's not exactly a prominent location, and parking over there is tough, outside of the one garage.

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_bf57d8fc-ba82-11e8-9406-1befec770b9c.html

I have a feeling this food hall wants to attract younger patrons more than anything. I think The Main is a different clientele, unless a big conference is in town. This might get people on their lunch hour from the World Trade Center or Dominion Enterprises, but that just doesn't seem like a part of downtown where many people go. When I have gone to Granby during the daytime, the activity starts around City Hall Ave., and works its way up to Brambleton.

That's why I think NEON would've been perfect. There's not too many food options over there, and it would come in handy for when the new TCC building opens.

3 hours ago, BFG said:

Here's the Pilot article on the food hall. I know it brings more foot traffic downtown, think the NEON District would've been a better location. Like others said, it's not exactly a prominent location, and parking over there is tough, outside of the one garage.

https://pilotonline.com/business/consumer/article_bf57d8fc-ba82-11e8-9406-1befec770b9c.html

The Neon district does not have the people to support this IMHO.  How is the 100 block of Granby not a prominent location? 

• Like 1

If it's on the side I'm thinking of, I just wonder if people will notice it there, being it's tucked under the "canopy" type area. If it's on the HK side, then I think it'll be fine. Outside of Main and HK, it doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic over there, but I could be wrong.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:04 PM, vdogg said:

This kinda snuck under the radar. Looks like Gadams wants to build 250 new apartments downtown on Olney. Not too many details yet though.  Judging by the size of the land, this one may have highrise potential.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/health/norfolk-will-spend-million-on-new-headquarters-for-agency-serving/article_b0c8b469-bdcd-512a-ba4d-a24ffb7d224b.html

"Developer Frank “Buddy” Gadams bought the board’s downtown buildingfor $3.7 million in December 2016 with a plan to eventually demolish it and an adjacent building. He wants to build 250 apartments mixed with retail and parking."

Keep in mind the ICON, at 24 floors, has 300 apartments. Parking garage plus retail should give us a decent size building. It's also the first time significant redevelopment hops north of Brambleton.

Update on this proposal.  The property is currently listed for sale, including the development plans, for $7.5 million.  Not necessarily dead, but  not looking good...

LoopNet Link for 225 W. Olney Road

5 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

if, as the ad purports,  it is such a good development opportunity, why isn't BG, the #1 DT apt developer, developing it??

My guess would be he couldn’t figure out a way to get historical credits out of it. His last real foray into new construction was The Element I believe, but even from that he was able to get historical credits for preserving a small portion of a buildings facade. His whole schtick is historic renovations, that’s his company’s business model. Last time he tried to build completely new was Granby Tower, and we all know how that ended...

This article is making it look like Norfolk Southern moving to ATL is pretty much a done deal. If this happens, this area (not just Norfolk) better take a good look at itself to figure out how to keep people here and get better flights out of the airport. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/ports-rail/article_d00a06e6-c1a5-11e8-ab90-13227708e8cd.html

16 hours ago, vdogg said:

My guess would be he couldn’t figure out a way to get historical credits out of it. His last real foray into new construction was The Element I believe, but even from that he was able to get historical credits for preserving a small portion of a buildings facade. His whole schtick is historic renovations, that’s his company’s business model. Last time he tried to build completely new was Granby Tower, and we all know how that ended...

good point. so  now he's a spec investor and flips properties just like with ADP.  i'm ready for some new blood downtown.

5 hours ago, BFG said:

This article is making it look like Norfolk Southern moving to ATL is pretty much a done deal. If this happens, this area (not just Norfolk) better take a good look at itself to figure out how to keep people here and get better flights out of the airport. 

https://pilotonline.com/business/ports-rail/article_d00a06e6-c1a5-11e8-ab90-13227708e8cd.html

i've heard from folks well-placed down here for a good while that this is a done deal ...and it's devastating ....and especially coupled with Nordstrom and other things happening soon...nothing seems to be going right except for the Main...& that is not enough. we are still basically one of the very very few metros not 2 have added any net new jobs since 08.  and...we lag far, far behind regional peers.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 11:29 AM, 23320 said:

WeldenField-Rowe recently purchased the Spectrum at Willoughby Point land and is planning to 333 condominiums. But VDOT wants the land as part of the HRBT expansion. Here comes another eminent domain lawsuit…

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/developer-buys-land-state-wants-for-hampton-roads-bridge-tunnel-expansion

We need that tunnel expansion far more than we need those condos. This is a clear cut case for eminent domain. The developer knew exactly what they were doing when they purchased that land, plans for the tunnel were not a secret. Let’s hope proceedings are over with quickly and there are no delays to tunnel construction.

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:41 AM, BFG said:

Well maybe this will be the final kick in the ass that this area needs to start actually working together. Losing a Fortune 500 company, especially one that has your cities fkn name in it, is not a good look no matter how you feel about development.

• Like 2

Looking through several articles other than our local media...this has been in the works for several years. I hate to say it...but it's gonna happen. Our fearless city leaders have probably been ignoring it...I'm not sure how they couldn't be aware. I can't imagine the airport being the ONLY reason they started this thought process....there's more to it. If the city knew it's going to lose the only F500 company within the city limits it better put together a super sweet deal to keep them. Work tirelessly with the airport to add carriers and non-stop flights...basically what ever they want we fight to get for them. Offer them enough land to build a campus like they a planning in DT Atlanta. We shoot ourselves then question why we are bleeding.  

• Like 2

Looks like Norfolk Southern moving to ATL is a done deal, but it's not without its hurdles either.

https://pilotonline.com/business/ports-rail/article_9a1a3842-c71f-11e8-87b9-6b6829282ae5.html

Friend of mine told me that people go to Richmond's airport because of better rates. That needs to be the first thing ORF works on, in addition to adding more nonstop East Coast destinations, esp. big cities like NYC, ATL, Philly and Miami.