Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Co-working, office space continues to pop up in downtown Norfolk. Here's why. - Virginian Pilot

This article discusses the influx of coworking spaces to Downtown. It mentions concerns about oversaturation but these spaces have been expanding all over the country.

Vacancy is at 8.5% Downtown and will spike to around 15% once NS leaves assuming nothing else happens. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An application to city planning has been submitted to get a zoning change at 1231 Boissevain Ave in Chelsea from residential to commercial.  The applicant wants to operate a wine bar and hotel on the lot. 

The application is at the following link;

https://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/5033?fileID=9859

Screenshot_20190603-151344.png

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BFG said:

Is this a continuation of the concept they proposed a few years ago? That one had a grocery store attached as well, but the plans fell through. I think it would be a great location for a Lidl or Aldi.

Bold Mariner Brewery moved from that area a couple weeks ago, so I imagine that allows for additional development space.

With Aldi moving into the old farm fresh location on 21st, it would have to be Lidl. But it's hard to imagine that area needing another grocery store with Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Aldi and Food Lion all in the area. If MacArthur doesn't get a Target, this would be a great spot for one.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

Nice. This has the potential to turn the railroad district from an idea into a legitimate atraction. As long as they land a good brewery. It would be nice if they designate the entire development as a place that permits open contaners. Norfolk would then posess a legitimate beer garden.

Norfolk as made a new plan for Wards Corner. It's way less robust than the previous one but along the same lines just in a smaller area. This would be to start, as I would assume that the goal would be to get all of wards corner to eventually be more walkable and dense. 

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_6d21d3d2-aa49-11e9-9bf9-2b4eb8645a22.html

Edited by Urbanlooker
  • Like 1

Seems realistic enough to actually get done, assuming the city can acquire enough property. However the area develops, the intersection of Little Creek and Granby is still daunting to pedestrians. 

I also think this same strategy can be done to Riverview Village. Omohundro runs  between Llewellyn and Granby from Delaware to Connecticut. If the city acquired that land, which is mostly parking lot, and markets to interested parties, you could also have a mini mixed use corridor buffered from the traffic of Granby, which seems to be the main problem with Riverview, and closer to the water. You could even experiment with micro housing back there since most of the lots would be smaller.  Finally, include pedestrian friendly green infrastructure in the redesign that mitigates flooding. 

Edited by Norfolk757Kid

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

I don’t believe they have any plans. The north garage was replaced with a surface lot so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same thing here. Both of the garages were crumbling with concrete falling from the ceilings. 

If I’m not mistaken I think that garage was in the way of the eventual City Hall Ave. extension/realignment. I believe the surface lot is temporary. The realignment will likely happen in conjunction with Gateway Tower construction if that ever gets off the ground.

47 minutes ago, 23320 said:

EDA RFP

The EDA has issued an RFP for architectural firms to design a mixed-use office campus for a major healthcare provider. The sites identified are Military Circle Mall & MacArthur Mall. The EDA is looking for office, retail, & residential uses in the plan. 

They only gave them 10 days to submit a proposal? That's a bit ridiculous. I don't know what type of quality they're expecting in that timeframe...

38 minutes ago, vdogg said:

They only gave them 10 days to submit a proposal? That's a bit ridiculous. I don't know what type of quality they're expecting in that timeframe...

I believe the bids are due at that time and the winning bid will have X number of months to complete the job. 

1. Develop MacArthur, and allow this development to create a continuous downtown flow that leads into SPQ. Transfer Optima and Movement Mortgage into this location, with residential, shops, and restaurants.

2. Develop Military Circle into a new arena/entertainment site. 

3. Pay me for this idea. :P

These two links give a good idea of what Norfolk could do with MacArthur or Military Circle. I like "The Bloc" in LA and CityCentre in Houston.

https://www.naiop.org/mallredevelopment

https://www.naiop.org/~/link.aspx?_id=F22AA84AAFFC492F84373F429485B460&_z=z

• Like 1

Wow, two years ago this week I wrote to Gerald Divaris and Mary McGovern and suggested doing just this in a 25+ story bldg at Town Center. I happen to know Sentara employeees are spread out in a haphazard fashion all over the place in HR because I have friends that work for them...all over the place lol. Great company 

Edited by baobabs727

7 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

Wow, two years ago this week I wrote to Gerald Divaris and Mary McGovern and suggested doing just this in a 25+ story bldg at Town Center. I happen to know Sentara employeees are spread out in a haphazard fashion all over the place in HR because I have friends that work for them...all over the place lol. Great company 

My wife works at Sentara and was told they are looking to move into new offices by 2021. This RFP seems to mesh really well with that information.

• Like 2

The document from the city mentions 600K square feet. MacArthur, according to Wiki, takes up 900K, 400K of which is retail and another 100K in food/entertainment. I imagine the rest is the parking garages, but a mixed-use development there would be huge!

That said, I believe Optima is part of Sentara, so as much as I think downtown needs a project like this, I also think redeveloping Military Circle probably makes more sense.

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1