Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

42 minutes ago, BeagleAccountant said:

My wife works at Sentara and was told they are looking to move into new offices by 2021. This RFP seems to mesh really well with that information.

I’ve heard the same and specifically that they were looking at the closed department stores at Military Circle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Man, as much as I want to see MacArthur redeveloped, I'd love to see a 600,000 sq ft Sentara office tower! :shok: I really hope Sentara decides to build new downtown.

That would be in the neighborhood of 30-45 floors depending on the footprint. That would be a beautiful thing in DT Norfolk. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

i have a sneaking suspicion that this not-for-profit will not want to pay 30+ dollars a foot ...which will be required if they lease a new skyscraper. I'm thinking space in a mall redevelopment will be much more cost effective for them. 

And this is likely the driving factor here. The spaces at the former JCP went for $13-14/SF, which is low especially considering it’s essentially brand new space. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

i have a sneaking suspicion that this not-for-profit will not want to pay 30+ dollars a foot ...which will be required if they lease a new skyscraper. I'm thinking space in a mall redevelopment will be much more cost effective for them. 

This is why I like these forums. People bring great information and insight that others may not have. I do not have the business side knowledge. Great information and perspective. Thanks.

35 minutes ago, zeppelin14 said:

An interesting article from WAVY today which basically states all of our frustrations on all of these new cookie cutter apartments that are being plopped down with no imagination:

Review board members say initial building plans for new public housing look more ‘Virginia Beach’ than ‘Norfolk’

Wow, just wow! A glimmer of hope that the ARB has FINALLY come to their senses and realizes that Norfolk is a dense urban city and should look like such. This gives me so much hope. Maybe Norfolk can turn the corner and get a better product downtown.

• Like 1

Between this latest article and the city and region having business-minded leadership, SPQ may just become a nice extension of downtown after all!

Look up Victory Park in Dallas. It’s an area that’s grown over the last 15 years and sits on the opposite side of the interstate that runs through downtown Dallas. That’s what I envision SPQ looking like. 

Why America’s New Apartment Buildings All Look the Same - Bloomberg

Pretty good read explaining how this design become so prevalent. Obviously cost savings are the main reasoning but it also discusses building codes, investor demands, and simpler construction. Most of the newer apartment developments locally are garden style but podium is more typical of mixed use apartments. Summit Pointe & Bridgeport in Suffolk are using this method and it already exists in Town Center, Downtown & the Oceanfront. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 10:26 AM, zeppelin14 said:

An interesting article from WAVY today which basically states all of our frustrations on all of these new cookie cutter apartments that are being plopped down with no imagination:

Review board members say initial building plans for new public housing look more ‘Virginia Beach’ than ‘Norfolk’

So they're really going to redevelop that area.  And not just study it for 15 years?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 10:04 PM, BeagleAccountant said:

Tonight the Monument Companies presented their proposal to the CP/RV Civic League. They are proposing a 60 unit apartment complex in the old Stuart School. In addition to that, they plan on building up to 8 townhouses on Carolina Avenue where the current playground sits.

At this point, no contract has been signed and no site plans have been developed. But they did include the following renderings. 

The townhomes can be seen on the far right of the first photo and are the main focus of the other photo.

They presented their proposal in order to gain the civic leagues support before spending more time and resources on the project. After this project gets through council (they're estimating a 6 to 8 month process), they said it would be a 12 month and $12 million project.

IMG_20190708_200150.jpg

IMG_20190708_200137.jpg

On Tuesday night, City Council approved the sale of the Stuart School to Monument Companies.  They have already started doing prep work on the property. 

Here's the contract;

https://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/55897/PH-11-Land-Disposition-and-Development-Contract-with-Monument-Development-Eighteen-LLC

• Like 2

Looks like Buddy Gadams is ready to move forward on developing the land next to the ICON building, along with the vacant lot on Olney Rd. 

https://www.pilotonline.com/cities/norfolk/vp-bz-gadams-downtown-apartments-20191030-m2kqktgpujfexisx4jj3cbdjyq-story.html

The project next to the Icon, on largely open land, would consist of 272 apartments on five levels on top of first-floor parking, as well as a pool, clubhouse and fitness center, he said. He plans to begin construction within six months and be finished within 24 months after that. In the Neon District, at the southwest corner of Olney Road and Boush Street, he plans to build 252 apartments in a five-level structure that would surround a parking structure in the middle. The intersection often floods during high tide events and inclement weather. Gadams said the project would be built 12 feet above sea level. The garage entrance would be off Grace Street, to the south. “It would take a hurricane or large nor’easter to flood all the streets around the property to limit access. That is a very rare event,” he said. Construction on it would start within 12 months and be completed in 30 months, he said.

I think the proposed building next to ICON should be a little taller than five stories, but I'm happy for more development downtown.

• Like 3