Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

"Thought downtown Norfolk couldn’t possibly need more apartments? The developer largely responsible for turning the area into a place where several thousand people live and work, including converting the former Bank of America office tower into residences, says there’s still plenty of demand." I like how the Pilot immediately comes out against infill development that will bring over 500 apartments downtown. SMH. 

• Like 1

The indicators of a population boom are getting too hard to ignore. With demand this robust coupled with the report I posted yesterday about housing contracts being up 30%, I think people are going to be in for a little surprise the next census.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

"Thought downtown Norfolk couldn’t possibly need more apartments? The developer largely responsible for turning the area into a place where several thousand people live and work, including converting the former Bank of America office tower into residences, says there’s still plenty of demand." I like how the Pilot immediately comes out against infill development that will bring over 500 apartments downtown. SMH. 

Must be salty about the fact that their building is being turned into apar.........let me be nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This makes 5 apartment buildings/complexes in the immediate downtown area if my count is correct. That is quite impressive. I look at it this way, more land being developed, even low to mid-rise/ medium density, increases the number of people living downtown which is great. Helps the businesses and workplaces with more 24 hour customers. Also, leaves the Snyder lot open for the eventual 40 floor office building.

Edited by carolinaboy
can't count
  • Like 3

On 10/31/2019 at 3:51 AM, vdogg said:

That land is immediately in front of Icon. It wouldn’t make sense to build tall there. I do find his statement about a large nor’easter being rare comical however. We get those storms every year.

I agree that nor'easters are fairly common, but not nor'easters that would flood Waterside Drive, let alone Main Street, which is even higher.  I cannot recall Waterside Drive being closed due to flooding.

57 minutes ago, virginia pe said:

I agree that nor'easters are fairly common, but not nor'easters that would flood Waterside Drive, let alone Main Street, which is even higher.  I cannot recall Waterside Drive being closed due to flooding.

The statement regarding flooding was specific to the NEON District building, which is being built higher due to recurrent flooding that already impacts the property. 

• Like 1

So I saw an advertisement for this on Facebook but don't recall seeing an article about it. It looks like more co-working space is coming to another office building downtown.

https://novelcoworking.com/locations/virginia/norfolk/city-center/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=Novel+Coworking+Conversions+Campaigns+-+Norfolk&utm_content=Broad+Ad+Set+2019-10&utm_term=Gallery1+yellow+sofa

5 minutes ago, 23320 said:

Formerly known as Jillian’s, which left Waterside to go to Greenbrier. 

Funny how things work out.

I'm not sure why they would make this move back at this juncture. Sure, they'll likely get more foot traffic. But they'll be paying a much higher rent and have a lot more direct and indirect competition. 

7 minutes ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Funny how things work out.

I'm not sure why they would make this move back at this juncture. Sure, they'll likely get more foot traffic. But they'll be paying a much higher rent and have a lot more direct and indirect competition. 

I wonder if the proposed Rosie’s in Greenbrier Mall had anything to do with it. It would be directly across from where Game Works currently is. 

If you go there now it’s typically families that are in there. I imagine they will be shifting their focus as I wouldn’t expect a family-centered arcade would do very well Downtown. 

1 hour ago, 23320 said:

I wonder if the proposed Rosie’s in Greenbrier Mall had anything to do with it. It would be directly across from where Game Works currently is. 

If you go there now it’s typically families that are in there. I imagine they will be shifting their focus as I wouldn’t expect a family-centered arcade would do very well Downtown. 

I suspect you're right on both accounts. From their press release, they'll be heavily focused on esports. I know esports is a massive burgeoning market but it's hard to wrap my ahead around as a business in a retail environment. 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191113005234/en/GameWorks-Open-Downtown-Norfolk-Va?utm_content=105535888&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-130471533652330

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Found press release

• 3 weeks later...

CBRE has moved it’s local offices to the Dominion Enterprises building with plans for additional expansion.

https://www.pilotonline.com/inside-business/vp-ib-cbre-move-1209-20191203-7qwcxaq7bvdthk2e2tetgr5xre-story.html

“The announcement came as CBRE, which ended its affiliate relationship in January, plans to build a larger presence in the area as a wholly owned business. Beck, who came onboard in May, said the new office is an important milestone for the Hampton Roads market as it continues to focus on reestablishing the CBRE brand in the area and recruiting talent.”

” Beck said they plan to eventually have 35 to 40 employees, including producers, brokers, property and project managers, and administrative staff in the new location. “We just signed a lease about a month ago and moved into temporary space in the building,” he said. The new offices, which are under construction, are designed with CBRE’s open workplace strategy, Workplace360, which is used to promote flexibility, mobility and productivity through technology-enabled and paper-reducing offices.”

1 hour ago, Asdfjkl; said:

It’s not a done deal but there are plans for the Norfolk Southern building. It would involve two regionally known companies occupying the building. At least one of the companies has already signed the deal. Both would be consolidating a number of offices from around the area so it’s good news for Downtown but a wash for the region. 

If consolidation drives down vacancy rates and makes Gateway Tower more likely to happen I'm all for it.

3 hours ago, Asdfjkl; said:

The availability of the Norfolk Southern building has likely delayed the proposed Gateway Tower as one of the companies was in discussions for space there. Furthermore, the uncertainity of the development timeline caused another major occupant to at least temporarily focus elsewhere.  

Amazing...even when Norfolk tries to get ahead, they get screwed. Hopefully the economic development office is talking to other businesses. 

• Like 1

Between the proposed tower and NS we have at most 600,000 sq ft to fill. In most other cities our size, that's child's play. It annoys me to no end how we continue to have so much trouble in this department. It's honestly baffling how one (1) single vacant office tower can throw our market into such a tizzy.

• Like 1