Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

On 3/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

1000 new apartments in the Railroad District and counting! In about a span of two years. Railroad District development will seriously contribute to Norfolk's growth in the next couple years and, when it's priced out, will act as a bridge for investment into adjacent neighborhoods, especially those East of Monticello and Church. Seems like it's just getting going too if outside developers are starting to get in on the action. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Renovations for the Assembly building have begun. Apparently there’s a tent covering the entire building - would love to see an exterior shot of that. 

image.thumb.png.296c610e6b7b7234437469f744b681ee.png

Not sure if this link has been shared but there are some cross sections that I haven’t seen before. 

Edited by 23320
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

City manager Chip Filer projects a $40M budget shortfall, due to the Coronavirus outbreak. He proposes taking some from the city and school budgets to cover this; as a result, some projects like the start of SPQ and Chrysler Hall renovations, would be postponed by a year.

1 hour ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

This may have been covered somewhere else, but do we know what Towne Bank plans to do with the Norfolk Southern Tower and garage? 

They're going to fully occupy the tower and use the garage for parking.

• Like 2

Some good information from Ray Gindroz/FAIA  on an update of the downtown Norfolk 2030 plan about  the future for downtown, MacArthur Center, and St. Paul's quadrant from April's meeting of the Downtown Norfolk Civic League. The part about the proposed transformation of MacArthur Center was interesting  where they want to open the mall to extend Market Street. Presentation starts at 28:11.

• Like 2

The hell is this? Looks like some random 4-story  VB apartment building. I surely hope they're thinking bigger and bolder than this for what will be the entrance to Fort Norfolk. They need to make a statement. It needs to have presence. This ain't it... <_<

Annotation 2020-04-30 161427.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

idk can't have anything block the views from harbor's edge

That’s not close enough or at the right angle to block views. In a growing city, it’s impossible to protect all views,

16 hours ago, vdogg said:

The hell is this? Looks like some random 4-story  VB apartment building. I surely hope they're thinking bigger and bolder than this for what will be the entrance to Fort Norfolk. They need to make a statement. It needs to have presence. This ain't it... <_<

Annotation 2020-04-30 161427.png

It looks like an extended stay hotel which that area needs sorely.  I have yet to see an extended stay hotel more than 5 or six floors.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, baobabs727 said:

I watched the presentation. Was about as clear as mud. I'm not putting any stock in any of this, as there is a long way to go. 

True, I have seen this plenty times before where nice ideas are presented with no actual backers that eventually just gets filed away in some sort of archives. I could see the mall redevelopment happening simply because I think a lot of malls are going to go under because of this pandemic since many malls were on the verge of collapsing before this pandemic.

• 3 weeks later...

You may remember that in 2018 the city released their study and plans for the Brownfields around Harbor Park, which you can see that information here:

https://www.norfolk.gov/4238/Brownfields

Some landscaping improvements have already happened along Water Street. The next step in continuing these improvements between Waterside and Harbor Park is on the agenda to recommend to City Planning for the May 21st ARB meeting. There is more information available here:

http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1347&Inline=True

I am pretty excited about this, as this will both better connect Waterside to the ballpark and beautify a pretty ugly stretch of road. But I hope the pedestrian bridge is still in the works.

Norfolk Brownsfields.png

Norfolk Brownsfields2.png

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Last week, I was lucky enough to sit on a virtual meeting for stakeholders of the North Colley area. This event was hosted by Elizabeth River Projects and WPA. In that meeting they showed their plans for ERPs new resilience lab at 4610 Colley Ave, which was formally owned and operated by a local chapter of the American Legion.

Tomorrow afternoon at 1230, they'll be hosting a virtual event where they will share these plans with the public. The plans are pretty exciting. Their goal is to start construction in early 2021. But they're still fundraising, so that could change.

If you want to get an early look at this project, try and take part in the event;

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=303509330829183&id=307577909645

If you miss it, I'll make sure and share the plans I have from last week's meeting with the page afterwards.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Last week, I was lucky enough to sit on a virtual meeting for stakeholders of the North Colley area. This event was hosted by Elizabeth River Projects and WPA. In that meeting they showed their plans for ERPs new resilience lab at 4610 Colley Ave, which was formally owned and operated by a local chapter of the American Legion.

Tomorrow afternoon at 1230, they'll be hosting a virtual event where they will share these plans with the public. The plans are pretty exciting. Their goal is to start construction in early 2021. But they're still fundraising, so that could change.

If you want to get an early look at this project, try and take part in the event;

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=303509330829183&id=307577909645

If you miss it, I'll make sure and share the plans I have from last week's meeting with the page afterwards.

Virginian-Pilot has a story on this development. Exciting stuff.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/environment/vp-nw-norfolk-elizabeth-river-building-sea-level-20200617-qd6v4sy3prdktitd5bxwz5iufq-story.html

• Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

Definitely possible. Their partner in this is CHKD, who will occupy most of the building. Renovations will occur and they'll slowly transition staff in over a few years time.

They'll be able to consolidate all their professional staff to one building and open up their current space to clinical use. 

Also hearing that Sentara will consolidate all their offices to somewhere on Military Highway but not sure exactly where yet. They were looking downtown but that doesn't appear to be on the table any longer.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, BeagleAccountant said:

1/3 of the floors will be Towne Bank. The rest will be occupied by CHKD.

This purchase was finalized yesterday and made public today:

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/vp-bz-towne-bank-downtown-tower-20200624-7422uvj56bev7en5x2i6om5aei-story.html

So we lost 500 workers and gained 900, for a net 400 worker increase. Hate to say it, but Norfolk Southern leaving was the best thing that could have happened to downtown. At the end of the day, the office vacancy rate has been reduced. That leaves open the possibility of gateway tower getting back on track.

• Like 1