Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

You mean to tell me they're gonna leave that burnt out piece of crap as is? :angry: I can almost see what you're talking about with the 2nd building but the first one has to go, or be renovated in such a manner that it no way resembles its former self. It's an eyesore.

Also, with the city trying to revitalize that very area I would be surprised if they made it past the planning commission without a little exterior renovation in the mix.

Actually, it IS part of the allure for some people, as they want to retain some of the characteristics of the original building. It exists for the same reason there are exposed bricks and ducts on the interior. It is part of an industrial look that people want, of having that exterior juxtaposed with a beautiful streamlined modern interior. Also to renovate the exterior would add a lot to the building costs, and would likely price the lofts out of the market.

Edited by Glassoul

Does anybody have any updates on the Super Walmart shopping center to be built at the corner of Little Creek Rd and Tidewater Dr?

Also, has anybody heard about a 51 unit condo project at the intersection of Norview Ave and Sedgefield Dr? It was mentioned at my civic league meeting a couple of weeks ago. The units are supposed to start at $250,000, and there wasn't a rendering at the meeting.

Does anybody have any updates on the Super Walmart shopping center to be built at the corner of Little Creek Rd and Tidewater Dr?
They continue to move closer to construction. Wal-Mart closed on 10/11/05 on the 37.9 acre piece of land for $12 million +. The roughly 210,000 sq. ft. building will occupy the parcels that used to be the MAACO building, Norfolk Multi-Service Cneter building, Farm Fresh HQ, & Rack & Sack Store, plus outparcel buildings occupied by Blockbuster & others.

Nothing big but...

The significant increase in construction activity in downtown this year is expected to continue well into FY2006 based on ongoing as well as planned construction projects. This increase in construction activity has also resulted in a corresponding increase in requests for street and sidewalk closures. Currently, the City receives an average of 25 permit requests per month in the downtown area.

The Department of Public Works has taken the following actions to facilitate the processing of permits:

Assigning a construction inspector specifically for the downtown area;

Meeting with the various utilities, including Dominion Virginia Power, Verizon, Cox and the City

They continue to move closer to construction. Wal-Mart closed on 10/11/05 on the 37.9 acre piece of land for $12 million +. The roughly 210,000 sq. ft. building will occupy the parcels that used to be the MAACO building, Norfolk Multi-Service Cneter building, Farm Fresh HQ, & Rack & Sack Store, plus outparcel buildings occupied by Blockbuster & others.

Thanks Willy. You didn't mention the Kmart that is over there now as one of the parcels to be occupied. I'm assuming that will be gone too. Any idea when construction is slated to begin and be completed?

They've leveled the old Gideon's shopping center at the foot of the Campostella bridge (on the Southside). Is the city going through with their proposed plans for condos on that site?...

Here is the link to the Southside Strategic plan on the City's website (warning, pdf file):

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/southside_plan.pdf

They've leveled the old Gideon's shopping center at the foot of the Campostella bridge (on the Southside). Is the city going through with their proposed plans for condos on that site?...

Here is the link to the Southside Strategic plan on the City's website (warning, pdf file):

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/southside_plan.pdf

Good lord, I never even knew of the existence of such a plan. I'll have to look over it a little more 2nite when I get home. That's a lot of info.

Good lord, I never even knew of the existence of such a plan. I'll have to look over it a little more 2nite when I get home. That's a lot of info.

In that same "Southside Strategic Plan" they have condos at the foot of the Berkley bridge as well (right next to the park and ride).

I really think the city is heading in the right directions with these urban projects. They are trying to make it were people own their places but yet have it dense!

With the amount of land Norfolk has, I don't think they have a choice but to go dense... and w/ P-town stepping out on its own to bigger and better things, I don't think we'll ever see a Norfolk/Portsmouth merger.

With the amount of land Norfolk has, I don't think they have a choice but to go dense... and w/ P-town stepping out on its own to bigger and better things, I don't think we'll ever see a Norfolk/Portsmouth merger.

I still think that it might happen, in our life time i doubt it. They would be alot more of a power house if they merged.

Actually, the merger has already made its way into the law books. An official study was commissioned to study the feasability and consequences of said merger a while back by state lawmakers at the request of Portsmouth. However, I have heard nothing more about it for about six months. We will probably hear more about it when the study is finished.

Actually, the merger has already made its way into the law books. An official study was commissioned to study the feasability and consequences of said merger a while back by state lawmakers at the request of Portsmouth. However, I have heard nothing more about it for about six months. We will probably hear more about it when the study is finished.

Wow, didn't know that. Did they give a timetable to when this study would be completed? Will it be available to the public?

There seems to be quite a bit of discontent from people saying that council is spending too much money on oceanview and downtown. I didn't know it was such an issue till today.

This really is racial tension in the city council. The city is a business so its going to do things that make money first in order to support these poor neighborhoods.

forgive me if you guys are already aware of this.. but I stumbled upon it and thought I'd mention it:

Tanner's Landing:

tannerslanding.jpg

The Commonwealth Architects team is providing architectural, interior design and engineering services for the design of this new condominium facility on Granby Street in Norfolk, Virginia. Inspired by the beautiful view of the Lafayette River at the site, the design team incorporated elements of the local community, and life on the river into the design. Limiting the height of the building to match the surrounding residential areas, and designing the fa

forgive me if you guys are already aware of this.. but I stumbled upon it and thought I'd mention it:

Tanner's Landing:

tannerslanding.jpg

http://www.comarchs.com/modules.php?op=mod...artid=42&page=1

Actually that's a pretty good find Coupe. We are aware of the project, but have yet to see this particular rendering. Pretty cool.

Nice find dude! Yeah we have pics of it but not like that one. Its going on the foot of the Granby st. bridge

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that building is the old motel at the foot of the bridge. The team that bought the property was going to renovate the building and turn it into condos. Which is why you see the first floor empty. I don't think this is the project going on the other side of granby street bridge.

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that building is the old motel at the foot of the bridge. The team that bought the property was going to renovate the building and turn it into condos. Which is why you see the first floor empty. I don't think this is the project going on the other side of granby street bridge.

Nope its across the street from the motel where they use to sell Christmas trees

The sign is across the street from the motel for this project