Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

Depends on how quickly the city can gain leverage or control on the parcel. Since MacArthur mall was used as collateral, it could very well be heading to the bank very soon, and I think the City would be quick to try and grab it. The fact that the City owns the land probably will dissuade a lot of people trying to grab it for a quick buck since the City probably has a lot of control on what can and can't happen with the property. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BFG said:

What would you say is the most realistic timeframe on this redevelopment? Five years? Ten? More?

It depends on which option is chosen (scale) and what the final use(s) are. However, I would not be surprised if the completed product or even a substantially completed one would take more than 10 years to realize. Think of it this way, even during an extended 20 year period of strong economic growth and explosive shopping mall development all over the country, it took until 1999 (near the tail end of mall proliferation)  to get a mall built downtown. Even though there had been talks of such a thing going back to the 70’s/80’s. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the agenda for the April 22nd city planning meeting is the  following:
"Initiate a General Plan Amendment to revise actions in the West Ocean View Area to support the redevelopment of the “Downtown Ocean View Waterfront Lot.”

I would guess this is the lot Greenies was on and am excited to see what is being proposed. I checked the ARBs agendas and the April 19th meeting isn't posted yet but I would imagine that is where we would get our first glimpse of this project.

http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1598&Inline=True

My g/f and I go to Bold Mariner and COVA breweries pretty often. One thing we agree on is that the nightlife in OV is desperately lacking with the losses of Greenie's and Thirsty Camel. They definitely need something on that site, not just for the locals, but also to bring in a few extra tourists.

I'm not saying they gotta turn OV into The Strip 2.0, but some nighttime options wouldn't hurt. A mini-boardwalk would be nice. I know Mayor Alexander once mentioned a hotel somewhere in OV.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 6:21 PM, BFG said:

My g/f and I go to Bold Mariner and COVA breweries pretty often. One thing we agree on is that the nightlife in OV is desperately lacking with the losses of Greenie's and Thirsty Camel. They definitely need something on that site, not just for the locals, but also to bring in a few extra tourists.

I'm not saying they gotta turn OV into The Strip 2.0, but some nighttime options wouldn't hurt. A mini-boardwalk would be nice. I know Mayor Alexander once mentioned a hotel somewhere in OV.

They did a presentation yesterday on this lot at the planning meeting. You can see it around the 2.10 mark in the video at the following link:
http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/Citizens/SplitView.aspx?Mode=Video&MeetingID=1926&Format=Agenda

Looks like phase 1 is an extension of the parking lot and walkways, the addition of food truck parking, green space and an ADA beach access. Phase 2 would be getting a restaurant with outdoor dining.

• Like 1

Just now, BFG said:

I was surprised that he didn’t say much about Military Circle. Figured they’d at least mention the arena proposals. 

Same for Gateway Tower. Interesting. 

After the monstrosity they presented I'd be happy if gateway Tower is back to the drawing board or canceled. We need to preserve that land for something iconic.

Honestly, I sort of expected this. The pandemic just put everything on pause. I think next year should have a lot more news.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vdogg said:

After the monstrosity they presented I'd be happy if gateway Tower is back to the drawing board or canceled. We need to preserve that land for something iconic.

Honestly, I sort of expected this. The pandemic just put everything on pause. I think next year should have a lot more news.

The pandemic crossed my mind too. We’re still in recovery mode in many areas. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 2:55 PM, vdogg said:

Believe it or not, HR had the second best office market in the country by absorption, and largely weathered the pandemic unscathed. We may get some office towers yet.

https://www.pilotonline.com/inside-business/vp-ib-office-market-0503-20210504-gh4tjvzgz5bc7kl3ypockx74sa-story.html

Would be nice to get one on Snyder's Lot, a taller Gateway, and something in SPQ.

• Like 1