Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

16 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Helping the homeless will always be a noble cause. I hate to say this, but although it is a noble cause, that location could potentially cripple Norfolk's fragile progress. I hate to even say move them somewhere else like military circle mall because there are communities in that area as well, but this could possibly turn off visitation in that area for people who aren't use to that type of thing. I guess we have to see where the permanent location will be. I do not think Norfolk can sustain such things in mass like other big cities. I see Norfolk progress being this fragile.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Good intentions but horrible idea. Really? Put that in the nascent Arts District that's barely treading water after a year of pandemic? Who comes up with this stuff?

On 5/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, zeppelin14 said:

This is a national epidemic that needs federal attention because no one city or state is going to solve the problems of homelessness on their own.

10 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

It is there only through August, when they get their permanent location. The NEON District will be just fine.

Agreed. This problem could get much worse as the eviction moratorium expires and the unemployment benefits return to the normal rates, so delaying work on this is not an option. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Norfolk Development issued a press release about their hotel occupancy rate outpacing the national average and is using it as a selling point to developers. 

By the end of the first week of June, 2021, the Hotel Occupancy Rate was 71.1% for Norfolk/Portsmouth, Virginia.  That’s 2.5 percentage points higher than Hampton Roads and almost 11.8 percentage points higher than the Commonwealth, and 9.2 percentage points higher than the Country. 

https://norfolkdevelopment.com/norfolk-hotel-market-outpaces-the-nation/?fbclid=IwAR36fGY063yc4P0hT1Oo6BfQhdsJUtO5EngElt4f6rQNJEdAmtIwlM9tf1Y

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like this could be an excellent opportunity for ORF down the road. Think about it, geographically ORF is ideally situated.  That and the fact that ORF is a focus city/crew base for Breeze well…dare to dream!

https://onemileatatime.com/news/breeze-airways-a220-europe/

Edited by Merrittk92
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, after looking at the range of the aircraft (6,300km), it looks like Europe would probably not be the easiest go with this particular plane. Can hit the Ireland/UK, just barely Paris/Western France, just barely Madrid/Western Spain, Portugal, Morocco, and a slight bit of western Africa. Would be easy to get to Bermuda, the Caribbean, anywhere in Mexico, northern South America, anywhere in Canada, and the most populous parts of Alaska. Hoping for a direct to the Caribbean/Cancun, that would be pretty awesome. A Norfolk/Dublin or Norfolk/Iceland flight would be much appreciated too.

Funnily enough, this plane would be able to go to Svalbard (a place that I want to visit one day, most northern civilization in the world) and wouldn't be able to go to any of the countries directly south to it. If any Breeze Airways folks are reading just know if you schedule a direct flight between Norfolk and Svalbard just know you'll have already sold one seat.

Edited by Arctic_Tern
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

Unfortunately, after looking at the range of the aircraft (6,300km), it looks like Europe would probably not be the easiest go with this particular plane. Can hit the Ireland/UK, just barely Paris/Western France, just barely Madrid/Western Spain, Portugal, Morocco, and a slight bit of western Africa. Would be easy to get to Bermuda, the Caribbean, anywhere in Mexico, northern South America, anywhere in Canada, and the most populous parts of Alaska. Hoping for a direct to the Caribbean/Cancun, that would be pretty awesome. A Norfolk/Dublin or Norfolk/Iceland flight would be much appreciated too.

Funnily enough, this plane would be able to go to Svalbard (a place that I want to visit one day, most northern civilization in the world) and wouldn't be able to go to any of the countries directly south to it. If any Breeze Airways folks are reading just know if you schedule a direct flight between Norfolk and Svalbard just know you'll have already sold one seat.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/airbus-boost-a220-jets-range-newest-operator-says-2021-05-21/

looks like they’re already in the process of extending the A220-300’s range.

• Like 2

On the August 26th agenda for the planning commission is a new distillery in Park Place at 2618 Colley Ave.

It’s good to see some more development along this stretch of Colley. But naming it Fort Norfolk Spirit Company is a bit odd when it’s that many blocks away from Fort Norfolk.

You can see the full agenda here: 

http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1724&Inline=True

5872DFDC-D608-4007-94F8-0CD816435D9C.jpeg

30B1B8E1-8B02-4CA7-8C2C-74D6843F7952.jpeg

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Link fix
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:55 AM, Merrittk92 said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/airbus-boost-a220-jets-range-newest-operator-says-2021-05-21/

looks like they’re already in the process of extending the A220-300’s range.

Ooooooooooh, good find! 

The increased range mentioned in the article would be to 4000 nautical miles (~4600 miles). This would also put into range from ORF: Rome, Sao Paulo, The Nordic Countries, Bratislava, all of Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Czechia, Austria, and Slovenia. Now that would be a pretty big deal.

4000 nautical miles orf map.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Asdfjkl; said:

Prepare to be pissed. Everything I’ve seen proposed for SPQ has pretty similar densities to what is being proposed for Military Circle. Certainly nothing I would consider an extension of Downtown. 

Agreed. 

I was waiting until the proposals came out. I'll make a new thread now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a proposal to build 279 apartments in two 4- story buildings on undeveloped land near Sentara Leigh, but there is a debate as to whether or not the use is appropriate for the site and Planning Commission recommended against the project because of concerns associated with potential LRT to Military Circle. 

The city council session from this week is worth a watch if you have time. Interesting insights on LRT (potential for extension up to JANAF) and the different attitudes toward transit and development in general. Council will be fully updated on LRT/BRT at the upcoming Council Retreat in October.

D2390504-3D75-4F8C-9A25-BF4EFC40CDF6.png02239D16-F305-4922-8E5B-B97951C82A84.thumb.png.c7fdfd0f6109f90b84534186949abb70.png

Edited by varider
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, varider said:

There is a proposal to build 279 apartments in two 4- story buildings on undeveloped land near Sentara Leigh, but there is a debate as to whether or not the use is appropriate for the site and Planning Commission recommended against the project because of concerns associated with potential LRT to Military Circle. 

The city council session from this week is worth a watch if you have time. Interesting insights on LRT (potential for extension up to JANAF) and the different attitudes toward transit and development in general. Council will be fully updated on LRT/BRT at the upcoming Council Retreat in October.

D2390504-3D75-4F8C-9A25-BF4EFC40CDF6.png02239D16-F305-4922-8E5B-B97951C82A84.thumb.png.c7fdfd0f6109f90b84534186949abb70.png

So the Planning Commission is recommending density along future/identified light rail/transportation corridors? I like that.

• Like 1

Norfolk MacArthur Mall development!  

Option 1: Open up the ends and light up the exterior, Surviving mall parts turned into Office space.

Option 2: Leverage MacArthur Center’s valuable assets: a 23-acre central site, 4,000 structured parking spaces, 400,000 square feet of anchor buildings, and a third anchor parcel ripe for redevelopment. “De-mall” the center to reopen Market Street as a landscaped, pedestrian-friendly promenade lined with mixed-use buildings, including residential uses. Line City Hall Avenue with micro retail, craft manufacturing and small services and businesses.

Option 3 (Personally my Favorite) :Demolish MacArthur Center and build a new urban district with a street pattern that re-opens Bank and Court Streets to connect Scope and Chrysler Hall with Main Street and the Waterfront.

PROOF FOR PLANNING BY DOWNTOWN NORFOLK COUNCIL:5869b71b82b5619e0290c84ffafa6eef.png

I would like to say that Option 3 is my favorite because it puts a street grid right back into the Center of Norfolk! Imagine the amount of office/residential tower space there will be! This will add 6-8 new CITY BLOCKS. Lets hope if this does happen it wont be settled for plain 4-5 floor apartments like what they did to the SPQ planning!

• Like 1