Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

1 hour ago, baobabs727 said:

Marathon's DePaul hospital redevelopment project potentially in danger....

https://www.yahoo.com/now/proposed-400-unit-apartment-project-232500686.html

Typically I would say the planning commission’s opinion doesn’t matter (because it doesn’t) but the East Beach Marketplace redevelopment ran into the same issue over affordable units and it had traction with City Council. Marathon is in a stronger position to walk away though so I’m interested to see how it plays out. Who steps up if this falls through? DePaul is a massive block of vacant space and an adaptive reuse to apartments is the only logical move. I’m all for more affordable housing but hopefully Council doesn’t die on this hill. At least not for this particular project. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HRVA said:

Typically I would say the planning commission’s opinion doesn’t matter (because it doesn’t) but the East Beach Marketplace redevelopment ran into the same issue over affordable units and it had traction with City Council. Marathon is in a stronger position to walk away though so I’m interested to see how it plays out. Who steps up if this falls through? DePaul is a massive block of vacant space and an adaptive reuse to apartments is the only logical move. I’m all for more affordable housing but hopefully Council doesn’t die on this hill. At least not for this particular project. 

I believe most places in America are to the point it can no longer be ignored. Affordable housing can no longer be an afterthought, most Americans can't afford rent on a single income. Norfolk(Hampton Roads too) can't afford to build only with profit in mind, our area doesn't have the economy or industries to combat high rent. Larger & Richer cities are already forcing the issue, Norfolk needs to be on the forefront our area just doesn't offer enough to also be EXTEMELY EXPENSIVE. 

Portsmouth was literally voted best city for 1st time buyers for this reason.... ITS CHEAP we need to make Hampton Roads cheap as cheap as possible to stay relevant 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kevin Cheph Randall said:

I believe most places in America are to the point it can no longer be ignored. Affordable housing can no longer be an afterthought, most Americans can't afford rent on a single income. Norfolk(Hampton Roads too) can't afford to build only with profit in mind, our area doesn't have the economy or industries to combat high rent. Larger & Richer cities are already forcing the issue, Norfolk needs to be on the forefront our area just doesn't offer enough to also be EXTEMELY EXPENSIVE. 

Portsmouth was literally voted best city for 1st time buyers for this reason.... ITS CHEAP we need to make Hampton Roads cheap as cheap as possible to stay relevant 

I don’t disagree but projects like these don’t happen without a profit incentive. And there’s something to be said about a massive influx of units and it’s impact on pricing of other units in the area. I do hope Marathon comes back with more affordable units but I don’t want the project to get rejected if they don’t. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, HRVA said:

"Marathon is in a stronger position...." Yes. And I have mixed feelings about that.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A lot of positive developments going on in the Riverview portion of Granby Street. The Riverview Theater will be turned into an events space, LeGrand moved from North Colley to the former location of Crackers, Lo Mo Pizzeria takes over where Blanca Cafe was and Pittie Dog Grill fills the former Subway/Capn Crabby space.

https://www.pilotonline.com/2023/07/05/riverview-revival-new-development-in-norfolk-neighborhood-includes-former-theater/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 11:27 AM, baobabs727 said:

Interesting read re:  the adaptive re-use of office buildings.  Specifically, office-to-residential.  

https://www.loopnet.com/learn/office-to-resi-is-becoming-more-reasonable-expert-says/1377446407/

Great read. Too often articles throw out the prospects of office conversions without digging into the details.

On a related note: Monument purchased 500 E Plume last month. No details but it’s obviously headed for conversion to apartments. Seems like these deals are increasingly going by unnoticed by the local press. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Great read. Too often articles throw out the prospects of office conversions without digging into the details.

On a related note: Monument purchased 500 E Plume last month. No details but it’s obviously headed for conversion to apartments. Seems like these deals are increasingly going by unnoticed by the local press. 

Timely article :)  If memory serves, NRHA owned 500 E Plume and had been looking for a buyer ,,.,  Exciting and appropriate/needed. I wonder if Gateway Tower across the street will ever see the light of day? Doubtful IMO. (See my post on the Gateway thread haha.)

Edited by baobabs727

10 minutes ago, baobabs727 said:

Timely article :)  If memory serves, NRHA owned 500 E Plume and had been looking for a buyer ,,.,  Exciting and appropriate/needed. I wonder if Gateway Tower across the street will ever see the light of day? Doubtful IMO. (See my post on the Gateway thread haha.)

You may be thinking of 555 E Main? I scratched my head when they bought that one. 500 E Plume is across from MacArthur Center and the MacArthur Memorial. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, HRVA said:

Im guessing the press isint interested in whats going on behind the scenes with new apartments. I mean, I understand from a viewers standpoint that the news is looking for new or surprising things to report. And with politics, the war, and other stuff I guess they just dont see interest in it.  

On 8/1/2023 at 6:19 PM, baobabs727 said:

I mean I read back on the Wachovia Tower thread, and it seems for a while people doubted that too. Things happen, lets just hope Norfolk hasent run out of steam just yet. 

2 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

Im guessing the press isint interested in whats going on behind the scenes with new apartments. I mean, I understand from a viewers standpoint that the news is looking for new or surprising things to report. And with politics, the war, and other stuff I guess they just dont see interest in it.  

I mean I read back on the Wachovia Tower thread, and it seems for a while people doubted that too. Things happen, lets just hope Norfolk hasent run out of steam just yet. 

The local paper has been gutted that’s why these projects aren’t being covered…not enough reporters to write the stories. 

And Gateway ain’t happening. For every tower that is built, there’s many more that are proposed/announced that don’t ever get built. It is what it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Norfolk is again considering remodeling Scope and Chrysler Hall. Both are now at the age where historic tax credits can be pursued, although I think the city should get Dollar Tree involved for naming rights; something like Norfolk Scope at Dollar Tree Center.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/norfolk-to-renew-push-to-renovate-chrysler-hall-and-scope/?utm_source=nfk.currents.news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=this-week-in-nfk-big-dollar-projects-night-shift-new-contracts-high-prices-grinch-pancakes-and-more

Due to the dome shape, I wonder if they could build a "sky bridge" like what MSG did? IIRC, the original Scope proposal involved digging underground and would've added 4,000 seats, so this gets you 4,400 or so.

In a nod to New York City's many renowned suspension bridges, the Chase Bridges are suspended from The Garden's iconic ceiling by 24 (north bridge) and 26 (south bridge) steel tube hangers," the Garden said in a statement. Both bridges combined can accommodate 430 seated fans and weigh in at 662 tons.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/renovated-madison-square-garden-unveils-sky-bridge-seats/#:~:text="In a nod to New,weigh in at 662 tons.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 5.30.38 PM.png

From what I remember, the Scope proposal called for lowering the floor a few feet, which would interfere with the exhibition hall. I'd get rid of the exhibition hall and consider a new space elsewhere. Isn't the city considering a new convention center?

New proposal for the DePaul site:

0C1A9D4C-11E5-47C9-8596-ACECE0C6BE31.jpeg.73cc496c12f28b8733bfb34206b9797b.jpeg576F4655-F4D8-4484-9B08-4A2062F69AA5.thumb.jpeg.190587a24daf5691dad61bb2080e6dc7.jpegFA8EB23D-5596-458E-8318-3C8F3400CEEA.thumb.jpeg.4ab8c7ecf88cf9236433771d019ac218.jpeg11651E4F-E247-4789-9681-429EB754A717.thumb.jpeg.05452850fb0757247fc4767ccb996c74.jpegAB4AFF10-14BF-4EC5-8B39-9D966CE36473.thumb.jpeg.5359a6b73e750e25fcef264ec54a6302.jpeg

Anyone have any background on this organization or an indication of the likelihood of this happening? It was shared by Martin Thomas so that provides some legitimacy. Just seems like a massive redevelopment for not a lot of building. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 5:40 PM, BFG said:

Norfolk is again considering remodeling Scope and Chrysler Hall. Both are now at the age where historic tax credits can be pursued, although I think the city should get Dollar Tree involved for naming rights; something like Norfolk Scope at Dollar Tree Center.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/norfolk-to-renew-push-to-renovate-chrysler-hall-and-scope/?utm_source=nfk.currents.news&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=this-week-in-nfk-big-dollar-projects-night-shift-new-contracts-high-prices-grinch-pancakes-and-more

Due to the dome shape, I wonder if they could build a "sky bridge" like what MSG did? IIRC, the original Scope proposal involved digging underground and would've added 4,000 seats, so this gets you 4,400 or so.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/renovated-madison-square-garden-unveils-sky-bridge-seats/#:~:text="In a nod to New,weigh in at 662 tons.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 5.30.38 PM.png

From what I remember, the Scope proposal called for lowering the floor a few feet, which would interfere with the exhibition hall. I'd get rid of the exhibition hall and consider a new space elsewhere. Isn't the city considering a new convention center?

I think the city has a golden opportunity to refurbish/reimagine Scope, reinvent Chrysler Hall (by adding the previously seen glass enclosure) and totally transforming the plaza/outdoor area with an outdoor venue and public square concept with a lot of green space. Really this area is the heart of downtown and could do wonders for bringing more people there to live or visit. I have never liked the idea of a new arena outside of downtown. A vibrant arena and concert hall with heavy programming can help undo some of the decline over the last couple of years (since Paul Fraim retired).

• Like 1

Possible new development at Tidewater and Virginia Beach Blvd listed on the 25 January 2024 planning commission agenda. 

WODA COOPER DEVELOPMENT, INC., for the following applications at 930 E. Virginia Beach Boulevard: (Ward 4 /Superward 7) a. Rezoning from C-C (Community – Commercial) to MF-AC (Multifamily – Apartment Complex). b. Conditional Use Permit to allow more than 24 dwelling units. The purpose of these request is to allow the development of 67 dwelling units.

Another (yawn…) 4 story uninspiring building.  

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

Edited by Norf Native
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...