Jump to content

Norfolk Development 2


vdogg

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Yeesh. Norfolk  might not ever recover if it lost the military.  The job losses for Hampton Roads would be devastating.

They could if they built an economy that is not solely dependant on the military....if we diversify our economy here it is  very feasible. I know we are not like other metros but others have weathered through losing the military and ended up coming out better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, VBIllini13 said:

Ugh this guy isn't even worth your time. The trolls that have infiltrated urbanplanet have way too much time on their hands. Look at this guy's comment history, he has no idea what he's talking about

He seems like he is a anti Government person. Anarchist I think thats what they call em.  

3 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Yeesh. Norfolk  might not ever recover if it lost the military.  The job losses for Hampton Roads would be devastating.

Then again his suggestion is totally never going to happen. With the biggest navel base in the world we are pretty set to stay a military town.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, vdogg said:

Look what I found!

https://vimeo.com/676436969

Screenshot_20220401-153828_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153839_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153846_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153851_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153857_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153915_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153922_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-153952_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154004_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154008_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220401-154010_Chrome.jpg

 

Went back to review the video today and for some reason it's been made private. Hmm...:huh:

It also appears that we're late on the announcement of the developer, which was supposed to occur the week of the SOC...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.13newsnow.com/amp/article/news/local/mycity/norfolk/norfolk-greyhound-bus-station-redevelopment/291-27567a96-9ae6-4b3f-8d7f-efb8f7a34e9b

"Over the last few weeks, city leaders reviewed several proposals to redevelop the bus station. The city originally planned to announce a development team on March 18, but that has now been pushed back to April 8.

 

"We're not looking to massively change the characteristics of any area," said City Manager Chip Filer. "That particular corner is vital to getting folks that are downtown, across the street, and up into all the interesting and exciting things that NEON has to offer."

 

Once they select a developer, the city will begin contract negotiations. It could take about a month for city leaders to finalize a deal."

 

Screenshot_20220419-155019_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, zeppelin14 said:

Talk about a letdown. Norfolk will just pave a parking lot on the former Greenies restaurant site.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/norfolk/parking-coming-to-ex-greenies-site-in-norfolk/

Im pretty sure we all learn to just take it in by now, nothing new with another let down in our city.....right?

Edited by mintscraft56
Link to comment
Share on other sites


These paving projects are simply placeholders for bigger things to come. The goal was to acquire the property and hold it until the right deal comes along.  And as we all know too well,  the right deal often comes along only once every decade, or two.   So...we wait. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

17 hours ago, Norf Native said:

There is a new 418 unit apartment development proposed for 6659 E. Virginia Beach Blvd (where the mobile home park is located at Newtown Rd).  This is listed on the 23 June planning commission agenda.

 

apartment.png

The planning department should have a higher standard for what is included in these packages. I’m sure Bonaventure can provide something better than a B&W copy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Norva757 said:

big parking lot

Honestly that might be for the better in this case. That stretch of Newtown and the Blvd is a pain in the butt to navigate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On page 7 of the agenda packet for the 418 units at Newtown, it reads that the applicant requests a minimum parking reduction from 1.75 to 1.55 spaces per unit, and goes further to state they have data from other apartment complexes they own around town, that the necessary parking actually needed is closer to 1.13 spaces per unit. 

https://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1984&Inline=True

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 1:20 PM, Norf Native said:

Here is a much better rendering of the apartments proposed for Va Beach Blvd at Newtown Road.  This is on Tuesday's council agenda.

apartment.png

The design isn't bad, but dear lord, why is it so hard to put the buildings flush with the street and hide the parking inside? All of these developments irritate the hell out of me because they're literally 1 step from being urban. Why is this a thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we had decent urban planners in this area then buildings would not be pushed back from the street like we see most of the time and parking would be located inside or to the rear. Also, there wouldn't be acres of grassy lots and wasted space in front of buildings. smh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Norf Native said:

If we had decent urban planners in this area then buildings would not be pushed back from the street like we see most of the time and parking would be located inside or to the rear. Also, there wouldn't be acres of grassy lots and wasted space in front of buildings. smh...

I agree that placing the parking behind the buildings would be more aesthetically pleasing. As for placing a buildings parking in it's the center , I think this might enlarge the footprint of the building somewhat, or force other concessions  which may increase the cost of construction. With building costs being what they are, everything is being designed to reduce cost.

It seems like if there are large plots of empty land between the roadside, and a new building , it is possible that land is being held by its owner for future retail development.

My point is that there are often mitigating motives for what we consider sub-par design, and they are often, but not always cost driven. The cities have some control, but there are limitations to that. Some cities (I believe VB fits this) have been more historically pro-developer regarding not placing restrictions upon developers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

I agree that placing the parking behind the buildings would be more aesthetically pleasing. As for placing a buildings parking in it's the center , I think this might enlarge the footprint of the building somewhat, or force other concessions  which may increase the cost of construction. With building costs being what they are, everything is being designed to reduce cost.

It seems like if there are large plots of empty land between the roadside, and a new building , it is possible that land is being held by its owner for future retail development.

My point is that there are often mitigating motives for what we consider sub-par design, and they are often, but not always cost driven. The cities have some control, but there are limitations to that. Some cities (I believe VB fits this) have been more historically pro-developer regarding not placing restrictions upon developers. 

02A25AF2-4549-43EF-88F0-8AAC5E1CCD4E.jpeg.74f1cc395b82b184b62e6a3cdd288075.jpeg

I don’t think future retail is in play here. It’s just one row of parking along Newton. I’m okay with the site design for this as it’s a suburban location. It’s surrounded by townhomes and car dealerships. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HRVA said:

02A25AF2-4549-43EF-88F0-8AAC5E1CCD4E.jpeg.74f1cc395b82b184b62e6a3cdd288075.jpeg

I don’t think future retail is in play here. It’s just one row of parking along Newton. I’m okay with the site design for this as it’s a suburban location. It’s surrounded by townhomes and car dealerships. 

True, but my reply of it might be land being held for future retail was in response to "acres of grassy land in front of buildings". It was a general response to what often happens, although I will say it is more often in front of new retail, such as the Lake Wright development.

Edited by NFKjeff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.