Cleveland, TN Photo Thread

HABANERO7

Well I went around last week and took some pics of the around town buildings... This is my first picture post so lets see how things go.

First_Tennessee_Building.jpg

When the First Tennessee building first opened it was actually the Cleveland Band and Trust Building. I was in Elementary school and on the opening day there was supposed to be free hot air balloon rides but it was to windy... oh well

Garden_Plaza_on_Keith.jpg

The Garden Plaza @ Cleveland is the newest addition to town, its a very large building and will have a mix of retirement and assisted living units throughout.

Garden_Plaza_Catwalk.jpg

This is the catwalk that attaches the new Garden Plaza to the existing Life Care Center Nursing home on the hill behind the new development

Cleveland_Summit_circa_1928_two.jpg

Cleveland's oldest of its tallest. The downtown Cleveland Summit is now a low income housing tower run by the Cleveland Housing Authority, originally the building was the Cherokee Hotel when built in 1928

McKenzie_Financial_Center_close.jpg

The McKenzie Financial Center is currently breaking ground

Bradley_Medical_Plaza_002.jpg

The Bradley Medical Plaza was constructed in the late 90's to provide more doctors office space for the hospital

Church_of_God_renovated_headquarters.jpg

Church of God Headquarters first build in the 1960's renovated in 2004

Bradley_Memorial_Hospital.jpg

Bradley Memorial Hospital where many changes have taken place in the last few weeks, I will post more about this later

Landmark_building_keith_at_25th.jpg

The current Landmark building was first built as the Cherokee Valley Bank which folded in the 80's. The building finally found favor when Santek Environmental a local landfill operator company filled the building up with offices

North_Cleveland_Towers.jpg

North Cleveland Towers is a Retirement home located on Lee Universities Campus, I believe it is Clevelands tallest at 8 stories

North_Cleveland_Church_of_God_Prayer_Tower.jpg North Cleveland Church of God Prayer Tower Addition Built in 2004. The top of the building is 165' to the cross

Church_of_God_and_Landmark_building.jpg

Shot from behind the hospital looking toward the NW. U can see the Church of God headquarters and the Landmark building

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see Cleveland here. I lived there in 1974, doing training for Brown Stove, Athens Furniture (in Athens) and some other place I'm too old to remember. Lived off Keith Street and enjoyed my time there. It was also a time when I became intimately acquainted the Chattanooga...now closer to Cleveland than ever.

This is the first time i've ever seen Cleveland. Thanks for the pics! I've been very near it about a million times, and have driven by it even more times, but never been in it. I didn't expect there to be so many sizable buildings there! Is there any way you could get some pics of the downtown streetscape sometime?

The first time I ever went to Cleveland was about 8 years ago when I drove from Atlanta to Knoxville with my then-fiancee. It was a Saturday morning and I was impressed by how bustling the city was. It has a great downtown. I was however quite disappointed by the very ugly courthouse. Did the renovation change the appearance. It looks similar to what I remember.

The first time I ever went to Cleveland was about 8 years ago when I drove from Atlanta to Knoxville with my then-fiancee. It was a Saturday morning and I was impressed by how bustling the city was. It has a great downtown. I was however quite disappointed by the very ugly courthouse. Did the renovation change the appearance. It looks similar to what I remember.

The Downtown courthouse is still very ugly; the building is just a big ol

Very interesting post!! It was very informative and I really enjoyed all the detail you put into it. The comparision between Jackson and Cleveland was very interesting to say the least.

I am very glad you decided to join the forum and share your wealth of information or your area of the state with all of us. Its really appreciated!!!

Very interesting post!! It was very informative and I really enjoyed all the detail you put into it. The comparision between Jackson and Cleveland was very interesting to say the least.

I am very glad you decided to join the forum and share your wealth of information or your area of the state with all of us. Its really appreciated!!!

Ditto from me. It's really great that you have shared this wealth of info about your city. Cleveland is a great town and I love to visit up there. IMO, The Chattanooga and Cleveland MSA's are so closely tied together that they should be combined together as one in the same way that the Nashville and Murfreesboro MSA's have been combined. Do you agree?

Ditto from me. It's really great that you have shared this wealth of info about your city. Cleveland is a great town and I love to visit up there. IMO, The Chattanooga and Cleveland MSA's are so closely tied together that they should be combined together as one in the same way that the Nashville and Murfreesboro MSA's have been combined. Do you agree?

I do agree, I think this area is going to see something like that happen by the 2020 or 2030 US Census. I think 2010 will be to soon with Enterprise South Industrial Park just now starting to get infrastructure put in place. Once the jobs are created at exit 9 as well as Cleveland

My sister lives up on Signal Mtn. I was up at her place overnight and saw the headlines in the morning paper that Hamilton County has had a record breaking year in housing starts (projected for over 2,000 this year). Each time I go to the Nooga, I see more evidence of growth in this bustling little city.

As those 9 counties grow, the traffic patterns will no doubt change to the point that all of them may become one CSMA. Interesting that the area covered by all is smaller than many MSAs of around 800K. I know a little about county size, and GA has small counties up there. I do think Hamilton is one of the larger ones in area in TN.

As those 9 counties grow, the traffic patterns will no doubt change to the point that all of them may become one CSMA. Interesting that the area covered by all is smaller than many MSAs of around 800K. I know a little about county size, and GA has small counties up there. I do think Hamilton is one of the larger ones in area in TN.

I appreciate all the great comments about the pictures and stats.

Urban Planet is an awesome site, I am so glad I came across it. Thanks for the warm welcome. I was looking at the some above comments and I just couldn

Great snapshots of Cleveland!

I remember going through Cleveland often on the way to Atlanta (my current home) from Knoxville. I was born in Athens (Tenn) not far from Cleveland.

Speaking of the Chattanooga-Dalton-Cleveland CMSA - I can see the CMSA being part of the Atlanta Area CMSA in the near future... I would say in five to twenty years from now.

• 2 months later...

Hey thanks for more pics of Cleveland! Is this going to be the new main station, or just an additional facility in downtown?

I'm always interested to see more of Cleveland, esp. since you have now peeked my interest in a town that until you joined the forum I knew little about. The more I learn about it the more I think it sounds like an awesome place! Really appreciate you keeping us all informed on your city, I wish more folks from smaller metros would find us and do the same!

• 2 months later...

Here are some more shots on the progress of the downtown Police Service Center. All pictures below were taken 04/20/2006

This is a shot looking north up Church St. The corner where the new Police building is going was just a surface parking lot. This will be a nice addition to the downtown density.

1st_at_church.jpg

This is a shot looking south along Church St right infront of the cities municipal building. When the Police building is finished it will create a very nice connection down to Inman St... Another note is the intersection of 1st St and Church St right infront of the new Police building is next inline for a remake as part of the downtown street scape work.

police_no_sidewalk.jpg

This shot is looking south on Church St in the same general area.

city_hall.jpg

This shot is of the south side (1st St side) of the building looking west toward the intersection of 1st St and Church which is the front of the building from the pictures above.

police_1st_st_looking_west.jpg

This shot is from the intersection of 1st St and Church St, but this time we are looking east along the south side of the building... The finished product will be brick to match with other structures in the area.

police_new_construction_3.jpg

Here is a shot of the front entrance of the new building

police_front_door.jpg

This final shot is again the south side of the building, I like this one because it shows the pretty Haskell Interiors building on the other corner, plus you can see where the windows will be in the new building.

police_1st_st_front.jpg

Archived