Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

twincity

Whats happening on 2nd and Marshall?

i went home last weekend a visited the downtown area to see whats was new. does anybody know what is being constructed at 2nd and marshall? i heard that that was the site for a new BB&T tower, but we would have heard an announcement by now. that whole lot i fenced off and dug up.

by the way, im glad to see that demoliltion has started for WestEnd Village and Trader's Row.

Notice that right by that site is the Presbyterrean church and if you drive up Cherry you will see that the front of the church is blocked off by some construction gates. So more than likely tey are giving a facelift to te church and adding an addition. I do beleive the church does own that land but I maybe wrong due to the fact that there is also an old BB&T branch office there that closed about a few years ago. I don't see the point for the church to buy that but you never know. Also did you see the new urban townhomes they built on 2nd St near Holly? Those are incredible! They need more of that downtown!

thanx hotlanta. i didnt see the whole church. i should've known it was a church project because they do own that lot. i did some research on the net...the building will be their new worship center.

i guess this was the groundbreaking ceremony:

DSCN0023_web.JPG

I guess no more Rib Fest in that location, huh? Thats going to be a really big expansion if it's going to come all the way out to 2nd St. Just looking at that picture above, got me thinking on the old Sawtooth Center building. I think that that building should be converted into lofts. It's just a really unique building. When was that BB&T tower proposed anyway?

I don't think it was ever proposed officially? I have heard that there's a model somehwere on one of the upper floors of the 20 story green building. A fellow on some forum, I forget which. is from Cleveland, and was aware of some info when there was a merger brewing with a bank in Cleveland & BB&T because he refered to that model, and was wondering what it would be like living in W-S, but I reckon it fell through?

I doubt it will ever be built since there's all sorts of rumors about mergers, acquitions, and the like.

Anyway, it would be nice to have it built in W-S before any major merger action. It's peculiar, I think, for the headqurters building, whilst nice in appearance, to be smaller or similar in size to other BB&T operations in other places. I know they have a more distributed philosphy and culture of business, but it would still be nice to have a major building in W-S.

I think we will see at least one more 20+ story building before this decade is up. If Targacept ever decides to go public that could be another tower but I doubt that would happen until at least 2020. That brings up another good point, do you think Targacept will get as big as Pfizer, Merck, or Astra Zeneca?