Is Greenville South Carolina's "Asheville"?

triadcat

Hi all. I was just thinking about the 2 towns (Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC) and noticed that they seem to have many parallels. Admittedly, I have only been to both cities just once, so keep that in mind. Anyone that has been to both cities several times please chime in with your responses.

Of my limited experience with both towns, the reasons I believe they are similar:

1. Both are roughly the same size (I think).

2. Both are located in the western parts of their respective states.

3. Both end in "ville".

4. Both have nice skylines for their size.

5. Both seem cultural and supportive of the arts.

6. Both have a symphony orchestra.

7. Both have lots of people walking around downtown at night (at least the times I was there) going to various cultural events.

Again, anyone with more time with these great towns please comment.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's enough for them to be considered similar. That would be like saying the Miami and Cincinatti are very similar because they're both located in the southern part of your state, they both have cultural institutions, and both have a good nightlife. Sure, they have those similarities, but they're still very different. But, sure, I guess GreenVILLE and AsheVILLE are somehwat alike.

I don't think that's enough for them to be considered similar. That would be like saying the Miami and Cincinatti are very similar because they're both located in the southern part of your state, they both have cultural institutions, and both have a good nightlife. Sure, they have those similarities, but they're still very different. But, sure, I guess GreenVILLE and AsheVILLE are somehwat alike.

Well, I gave 7 parallels.........you only mentioned 3 of my parallels.

So, have you actually been to the 2 towns?

Why can't Asheville be North Carolina's "Greenville"? :P

I think the starkest contrast though is that Asheville is probably the most liberal city in NC whereas Greenville is undoubtedly the most conservative in SC.

Haha. I knew someone would say that. I guess being a North Carolinian, I wrote it out with Asheville as the example... hehe.

Yeah, I knew that Asheville was one of the most liberal cities/towns in my state, along with Chapel-Hill, Carrboro, and Durham, but didn't know it was the most liberal. I don't really mind either way, 'cuz I liked both towns (Asheville and Greenville). I need to visit them more......especially Asheville being the most scenic city in my state. Actually now that I think about it I HAVE been to Asheville several times, it is just that I have only been downtown once. Ironchapman is also correct in saying we have the Biltmore Estate......something very unique.

I'd have to agree with most of the nay-sayers, I don't find too much similarities between Asheville & Greenville that you couldn't find in any other city. Asheville is in my view one of those few unique southeastern cities that simply has no comparable. It is a college town without a major college in a sense - it's greatest strength is that the city, unlike most sunbelt cities, is geared for residents and not businesses.

Hi all. I was just thinking about the 2 towns (Greenville, SC and Asheville, NC) and noticed that they seem to have many parallels. Admittedly, I have only been to both cities just once, so keep that in mind. Anyone that has been to both cities several times please chime in with your responses.

Of my limited experience with both towns, the reasons I believe they are similar:

1. Both are roughly the same size (I think).

2. Both are located in the western parts of their respective states.

3. Both end in "ville".

4. Both have nice skylines for their size.

5. Both seem cultural and supportive of the arts.

6. Both have a symphony orchestra.

7. Both have lots of people walking around downtown at night (at least the times I was there) going to various cultural events.

Again, anyone with more time with these great towns please comment.

I started a topic similar to this a while ago, and I agree with your parallels.

1) They are roughly the same size, but I think Greenville would be bigger if SC had NC's annexation laws.

2) They are both the unnofficial capitals of their regions (Asheville- Western north carolina, Greenville- Upstate SC)

3) Both are very supportive of the arts

But they are very different as well.

1) Asheville has many more hippies downtown

2) Greenville has the Reedy River downtown

3) Asheville has the Grove park inn

4) Greenville can't grow like Asheville can because of annexation laws

5) Asheville's main street is not called Main Street (Biltmore Ave)

Being an Asheville native, I find Greenville to be more entertaining than Asheville, it seems as if they put more effort into promoting their downtown.

I don't think the two cities are similar at all. Asheville is in the mountains, significantly smaller than Greenville, and has much more of an outdoorsy/artsy feel than Greenville. I have heard Asheville called a "baby Portland" before. I think comparisons to Boulder, CO are valid as well.

Greenville is not in the mountains, and is a business and economic center. It has a totally different feel from Asheville, IMO (it feels more like a big city than Asheville). Politically, Greenville is known to be much more conservative but I don't think most people can tell much of a difference.

Greenville does have some great cultural amenities, and the community is very supportive of the arts, but Asheville has been internationally recognized for its arts scene.

Hmmm, don't know much about Marietta. What's going on there?

I know a Greenville/Augusta match-up occurred on the Southern USA forum one time before. Not sure if that would be the best match-up though.

I think Huntsville is more of a valid comparison.

I can't really think of anything in SC that compares with Asheville. Perhaps Charleston; geographical differences and size aside, they're both different kinds of cities within their states (and even the South), although Charleston isn't particularly liberal, at least as much as Asheville.

I think most people here agree that Asheville and Greenville are not similar. So if the two cities are not similar, is there another city in SC that compares to Asheville better than Greenville?

Yes. Charleston of the late 80's, pre Hugo. King St, Market St, etc resembled Asheville of today. It was artsy, beatnick and bohemian. Unfortunately unrestrained gentrification has turned the city into a high priced tourist trap full of chain stores now. All of the eclectic places, stores, restaurants and coffee houses, are gone now and replaced by boredom. The only thing left that is interesting is the architecture.

I hope this does not happen to Asheville.

Does anyone have any pictures of Greenville? I would love to see them. Please post 'em!

There's a whole thread dedicated to Greenville. Have a look:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showforum=223

As for the similarities, there are very few. I love to go to Asheville whenever I need some fresh and more liberal views and discussion. I'll leave it at that. :ph34r:

2) Greenville has the Reedy River downtown
Asheville has the French Broad River downtown, but you almost wouldn't know it. I think the high Smoky Park Bridge has gotten people so used to flying 200 feet above the river that they consider the river itself to be in a deep, inaccessible ravine, which is a pity because it could be such an asset to the city.

There is also the Swannanoa River through Biltmore Village (one of Asheville's "secondary" downtowns.)

The big difference is, though, that these rivers in Asheville are ignored and abused like readheaded stepchildren, surrounded with junkyards, rusty dilapidated sheds, and weedy polluted brownfields rather than celebrated with parks and riverwalks like the Reedy in Greenville.

5) Asheville's main street is not called Main Street (Biltmore Ave)
The streets now called Broadway Street and Biltmore Avenue used to be called Main Street. Actually, Biltmore used to align with Broadway rather than Merrimon, and Broadway (then Main Street) was the major northern thoroughfare in the city until right about when streetcars came onto the scene in the late 19th century.

No - not Marietta at all, there is nothing in Georgia that is comparable to Greenville, I agree with Krazeeboi - Huntsivlle AL.

teshadoh/Krazeeboi, how do Greeneville and Huntsville compare? I'm not saying that they don't, I just don't see it at a glance. As I have said before, I don't really know Greenville except going though the area via the interstate, but I know Huntsville quite well.

Archived