11 story tower rendering

doormanpoet

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is pretty neat it will sure beat sitting out in the cold. I believe a new facility like this one will encourage more middle class people to get out and use the public bus system. With this and the new commuter rail Nashville might shape up to have a pretty good public transit system.

Wow this is usually the other way around, but I don't really like the design at all. Is that multi-colored stained glass on the bottom floors?

It may look at lot better when built so I will wait and see. Its definately in fill and will alot better than whats there now. I just think the design harps back to the late 60s-early 70s for some reason.

Wow this is usually the other way around, but I don't really like the design at all. Is that multi-colored stained glass on the bottom floors?

It may look at lot better when built so I will wait and see. Its definately in fill and will alot better than whats there now. I just think the design harps back to the late 60s-early 70s for some reason.

What? You don't like shag carpet and technicolor dreams??? Look at the Tennessee Tower. Everybody over there seems to love their shag and 70's sex appeal. LOL!!!!

What? You don't like shag carpet and technicolor dreams??? Look at the Tennessee Tower. Everybody over there seems to love their shag and 70's sex appeal. LOL!!!!

LOL... Really though, if you look closely at the notes on the rendering, there is an arrow pointing to those colorful panels saying they will be fabric or something else (a word I can't make out). Perhaps, they plan to hang banners along the outside of those windows. Either way, it looks a bit strange to me.

To tell you the truth I don't really like it. I would rather have it be all in red brick and without whatever that trash is written on the windows. That part of downtown isn't very flashy...most things built there are boring and from <1970. I would rather have something a little classier or more eye catching. It doesn't have to be stunning or expensive, but modern and unique would better suit me.

Dederick Street is a fine urban street with great views. It'll become even better with the Legislative Plaza on one end and the Courthhouse Plaza at the river on the other. For the first time in a long time this will become a dressed up pedestrian way. I guess people had to wait for the bus somewhere, but the area has had too many years of trash and unsavory characters hanging around. Moving the transit center off Dederick will have a very positive effect.

I'm withholding judgement on the building. My initial reaction is that it will be fine. Something too modern may assign a fate similar to the Municipal Auditorium. Modern only lasts so long before it just starts to look silly. The M.A. was pretty slick in 1963, and look at her now. Ugh.

Since I drive DT all the time, having the busses off of Deadrick will be a welcome site. People get off the busses and walk right out in front of you even if they have a red light and the bus drivers hog the streets in that area. Its really bad in the early mornings and late afternoons.

Municipal Auditorum rocks man. ;) Really I do think its a pretty cool old facility and adds some good old character to downtown (esp. since its in such good shape), what brings it down IMO is that gosh-awful looking parking plaza on the south side of it, and everyone's favorite MetroManor on the northside of it.

I think just a plain old concrete and blacked-out glass utilitarian office-type structure would have been fine. Something easy to maintain and keep clean looking for years to come.

This facility will probably look fine, the rendering is probably not as flattering as it could be.

• 7 months later...

Why is this so far from the train station? It seems that a coherent plan is to co-locate the various modes of transportation thus increasing options for riders. Am I way off here? Anyway I like the renderings.

Why is this so far from the train station? It seems that a coherent plan is to co-locate the various modes of transportation thus increasing options for riders. Am I way off here? Anyway I like the renderings.

Interesting point there. However, I think the other commuter train lines will be coming into a station other than the Cumberland River station eventually. Kinda like how Boston has South Station for all points south and North station for all points north I guess, lol. Might be a perfect opportunity to link them all by my favorite thing in the world, a modern tram system!!!! :yahoo: LOVE THOSE THINGS!!! lol

I've noticed that it has said on the page for a couple of months that construction is "to begin in the coming weeks". On the bus today there was a self-promotion stating that construction has begun. Anyone know the actuall status of this project?

Why is this so far from the train station? It seems that a coherent plan is to co-locate the various modes of transportation thus increasing options for riders. Am I way off here?

frankliner is correct here. The Star riverfront station is not a feasible destination for any future lines (most should end in the gulch), and I also believe that the two groups were more concerned about their own future regardless of whether the other is succesful or not. The good news is that they will be working together. There are plans for timed connections, and free rail-to-bus transfers.

LOL, I think that takes "mixed use" waay to far. "Hi. I live in the bus station".

I have to say I agree with you on this. I had thought about that too as in who would want to live a few floors above buses' stop-n-go?

Archived