Memphis's Edge neighborhood--Any info?

sleepy

I know the half-mile or so of real estate stretching between the main portion of downtown Memphis and the Medical Center was baptized "The Edge" a couple years ago (most likely by real estate developers).

It's been touted as the "next hot thing" after South Main, I guess for starving bohemians who long ago got evicted from their digs in South Main. I was there last June, and the area pretty much looked the same as it did 30 years ago. I did notice a theater company had set up residence and maybe an art gallery or two.

For those not familiar with it, the area is mostly early 20th century storefronts, old warehouses, etc. It seems like an area with a lot of potential.

Anyone have any updated info on the area?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the half-mile or so of real estate stretching between the main portion of downtown Memphis and the Medical Center was baptized "The Edge" a couple years ago (most likely by real estate developers).

It's been touted as the "next hot thing" after South Main, I guess for starving bohemians who long ago got evicted from their digs in South Main. I was there last June, and the area pretty much looked the same as it did 30 years ago. I did notice a theater company had set up residence and maybe an art gallery or two.

For those not familiar with it, the area is mostly early 20th century storefronts, old warehouses, etc. It seems like an area with a lot of potential.

Anyone have any updated info on the area?

I think the edge got its name from a bar that had the name The Edge several years ago. Could be more to it than that. I don't know if its the next hot thing, hopefully it will get some investors thinking. It is really just one street, Marshall Ave, that connects Union and Madison (Monroe in the middle) on a diagonal. I noticed the street a couple of years ago and thought that it would be good investment property. It's really a cool street and primo location. A coffee shop, Quitzal, opened up along the Union side of it not too long ago. This could be the next bar corridor for Memphis, with residential sprung alongside. We actually need some local bars in that area. Kudzoos is on Monroe just west of Marshall, and Sun Studio is at the corner of Union and Marshall. Sun studio would, I'm sure, love to have nicer looking neighbors and some restaraunts.

I could see how the Edge will be the next residential hot spot with South Main slowly getting more and more expensive. Kinda like SoHo in New York...it was the bohemian place before lofts and warehouses were renovated into swanky homes. I'd like to see the Edge be the cutting edge place for the young crowd in Memphis. Make use of its name with edgy retailers and 20something bars, hotels, and condos. South Main is more of a middle-aged artist haven. The Edge could focus on the young, and Beale Street could be the border between the two where old and young mingle.

I guess you guys haven't been keeping up with the news stories about this area lately, but there is a lot of controversy going on about this area. A guy who owns a few strip clubs in Memphis and around the country was approved to open one up on Marshall Avenue in place of the night club that he owns (Club 616). He's also planning an erotic novelty shop and a few other risque businesses on the street. He said that the club will be open by the end of the year. Many of the existing business owners are opposed to his ideas.

I guess you guys haven't been keeping up with the news stories about this area lately, but there is a lot of controversy going on about this area. A guy who owns a few strip clubs in Memphis and around the country was approved to open one up on Marshall Avenue in place of the night club that he owns (Club 616). He's also planning an erotic novelty shop and a few other risque businesses on the street. He said that the club will be open by the end of the year. Many of the existing business owners are opposed to his ideas.

I remember hearing about that.

I'm not really opposed to it. Artsy, bohemian types can co-exist with a strip club, but then again, I don't own a business there.

I've been keeping up with the news. The club was granted a permit. I'm 90% positive that the permit was subsequently revoked by the zoning board (strip clubs require permit in Memphis). If that is true, then a novelty sex shop won't bring the area down any more than the businesses that currently serve the area (body shops; machine shops). I think the reason for subsequent denial was that there is a church (more accurately "congregation") next door.

Archived