NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

7 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I believe it's a pilot project to provide a designated location for passenger pickup/dropoff to keep cars from stopping in the middle of the street to let people in and out. 

Oh hey, they have a whole page dedicated to it. 

http://charlottenc.gov/Transportation/Programs/Pages/NoDaOnStreetParkingEnforcementPilot.aspx

• Like 2

The link to the city page sort of answered my question but once the BLE opens will pedestrians be able to walk to N Tryon?  The link below only mentions motorists impacted by the closure and a pedestrian disclaimer that seems general to all work sites.

http://maps.charlottenc.gov/RoadClosure/Search/Notification/4d081834-20ee-4eb3-980f-6971b7a8fb3d?department=Transportation

Trying to figure out how quickly I can take the train and walk to NoDa Brewing!

4 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

The link to the city page sort of answered my question but once the BLE opens will pedestrians be able to walk to N Tryon?  The link below only mentions motorists impacted by the closure and a pedestrian disclaimer that seems general to all work sites.

http://maps.charlottenc.gov/RoadClosure/Search/Notification/4d081834-20ee-4eb3-980f-6971b7a8fb3d?department=Transportation

Trying to figure out how quickly I can take the train and walk to NoDa Brewing!

I live in Novel Noda, and right now it looks like the only connection to the street from 36th street station is towards the apartment building. They do have another exit at the end of the station that has a sidewalk that goes down to 36th street, but currently 36th doesn't really exist. So I am not sure if you would be able to get to the other side. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it. 

• Like 2

Just rode Amtrak over 36th street. The 36th st underpass looks to be about 80-90% excavated, but the sheet pile are still up so you can’t see that from the ‘landside’. 

Looks like sheetpile can be removed within a few weeks if not sooner.  Don’t take this the wrong way, there is still a ton of work to do before the underpass is usable, but there is more progress happening than it appears.

Edited by kermit

Davidson St Public House land is up for rezoning to TOD. Plans are to make the parking lot a permanent market.
Residents worry about parking, but also that it is a way to pre-rezone before development proposals happen, eliminating their ability to have input:
https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/news/mixed-use/davidson-street-public-house-land-up-for-rezoning-84831

What is y'all's hot-take on this?

Is this a  dangerous move, because the Revolution house and Smelly Cat land is already owned by someone who wants to redevelop?

Or, is that unreasonable since, if that other owner wanted this Pub House land, they'd still have to do a general rezoning for the whole thing?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

Can anyone on the boards confirm that they are extending the Rail Trail  from 7th to University?
I looked but couldn't find any real data on a proposed extension. 

They are not. I think the XCLT will be taking those duties up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Can anyone on the boards confirm that they are extending the Rail Trail  from 7th to University?

I looked but couldn't find any real data on a proposed extension. 

That is such a huge "No" that it took me two years, and finding multiple ways to phrase my question, to get city staff to understand what I meant.

They all kept saying "I think you mean the Cross CLT Trail" and I would say, no, I think you're forgetting.

So, no. Because of the existing abandoned ROW along the original line, it was much easier there, so BLE planners essentially wrote off the idea of extending it north, and fall back on the XCLT as being comparable.

• Like 1

Thanks RDF.  

Would be "awesome" if us NoDa folks were able to bike along the BLE from the 36th St station down to South End.

One can actually do this now by biking it down N. Davidson to 7th and then jumping on the RT,  but the thought of having to dodge motor vehicles on those two streets is just simply too stressful.

6 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

That is such a huge "No" that it took me two years, and finding multiple ways to phrase my question, to get city staff to understand what I meant.

They all kept saying "I think you mean the Cross CLT Trail" and I would say, no, I think you're forgetting.

So, no. Because of the existing abandoned ROW along the original line, it was much easier there, so BLE planners essentially wrote off the idea of extending it north, and fall back on the XCLT as being comparable.

I believe that NS and NCRR were _very_ against encouraging any pedestrian activity adjacent to their tracks and building a trail along N Tryon was a non-starter as well.  (not to mention the CSX crossing)

I can accept the impossibility of it but I am still bummed, the rail trail is so perfect in Southend. Having said that, its certainly is crappy for bikers in uptown. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kermit said:

I believe that NS and NCRR were _very_ against encouraging any pedestrian activity adjacent to their tracks and building a trail along N Tryon was a non-starter as well.  (not to mention the CSX crossing)

I can accept the impossibility of it but I am still bummed, the rail trail is so perfect in Southend. Having said that, its certainly is crappy for bikers in uptown. 

32 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Thanks RDF.  

Would be "awesome" if us NoDa folks were able to bike along the BLE from the 36th St station down to South End.

One can actually do this now by biking it down N. Davidson to 7th and then jumping on the RT,  but the thought of having to dodge motor vehicles on those two streets is just simply too stressful.

That said, they have made a wide trail between Parkwood station and 25th St. But it stops at the creek crossing.

Beyond that, it should cut up behind Highland Mill, then up through the Yards and Novel's private road and spit out at 36th St staion. Huge missed opportunity.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

That said, they have made a wide trail between Parkwood station and 25th St. But it stops at the creek crossing.

Beyond that, it should cut up behind Highland Mill, then up through the Yards and Novel's private road and spit out at 36th St staion. Huge missed opportunity.

I was wondering how they plan to cross the creek this morning. The XCLT trail was planned to go along the ACWR tracks from Highland up to Anderson (around there somewhere).  However the necessary relocation of those tracks seems to have stalled. 

• Thanks 1

It's strange. Unless there were multiple routes conceived in the planning stage, the CIP Matheson Bridge streetscape map shows one route and the N. Davidson to Matheson XCLT trail map shows another.

I would assume in the first pic, the trail would travel under Brevard following the creek and then parallel the ACWR tracks towards Highland as kermit suggested where the second map shows the trail traversing a Brevard, Jordan, Davidson route ending at Brevard under the Matheson bridge.  Interesting to note that both maps were part of the May 2017 public meeting presentations so can't determine most updated.

AIC_Matheson_ProjectLimits_Map_for_WebsiteWEB.jpg

fullsizeoutput_86.jpeg

^Avoiding the AC&WRR, XCLT will follow the red route. Spurs into Uptown south of 25th, as well as Noda north of Matheson are still possible. In fact, BLE already built part of the Uptown spur 7th to 12th, plus Parkwood to 25th. And NoDa development at 36th has setup space for a trail. But the Matheson bridge and road conversion remain a top priority for developing a continuous XCLT.

20+ years ago it went through more than one owner and eventually to owners who planned to rehab for low income residents. Many residents moved into the building and then such substantial termite damage was discovered that the building was condemned for use. The owners defaulted on the deed and eventually it went into city ownership thence to the current owners of whose plans I know nothing.

This is a six year old story about where it stood at that time:

http://plancharlotte.org/story/historic-noda-textile-mills-face-uncertain-future

• Thanks 1