NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

2 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

But as soon as the neighborhood loses its character -- the very reason people have been attracted to it -- and it turns into just another rubber stamp suburb, it could be the beginning of its ultimate demise.  Georgetown is still a thriving neighborhood in DC because nobody ever thought that letting historic structures go is "the best use of the land."  The neighborhood has the same character and charm it had 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 years ago.  It remains a magnet.

Very fair point. I'd personally rather it stay the same. I would love for someone to develop the dirt lot back there into fairly affordable townhouses. 

Edited by Guest

On 6/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, JacksonH said:

Yes, I'm perfectly okay with adding to and expanding the district, as opposed to replacing what's already there.  And in adding to it (while leaving the historic core intact), I would wish for developers to attempt to maintain a similar architectural feel that blends into the existing environment.

Several years ago there was an article in the Washington Post about a common cycle that takes place and ends up being self destructive.  It begins with an old, neglected neighborhood.  The artistic community discovers it, moves in because it's affordable so it allows them to thrive.  So they make it cool and accepting.  Then the gays come in because it's a welcoming environment.  They buy homes people previously wouldn't touch, but fix them up, transform them and make the neighborhood beautiful and safe.  Then it becomes appealing to other groups, particularly young, hip singles.  They move in, the more people move in, and then everyone is trying to get into the neighborhood.  The laws of supply and demand take over, so rents go up.  Sometimes new buildings.  Those artists and mom-and-pop entrepreneurs that got the ball rolling in the first place can no longer afford the rent, so they get replaced one by one by deep pocketed chains.  Housing starts getting expensive as well and those young hip folks also no longer can afford it, and their cool hangouts are disappearing anyway, so they leave.  And before you know it, it's just another bland neighborhood no different than the next, no longer cool, no longer chic, no longer distinct, and no longer a destination.

I've seen this pattern play out to a certain extent in a couple DC neighborhoods.  Now I'm seeing it starting in a couple San Diego neighborhoods.  I'm sure it's happening in cities all over the country.  But Charlotte has so few neighborhoods with an identity to begin with, so it would be tragic to lose this one.  I wish the city's leaders could find a way to protect independent shop owners from being priced out of places like NoDa and Plaza-Midwood and to ensure developers don't kill the character of those places.

That pattern is indeed playing out. I would expect neighborhood areas just north of NoDa around Sugar Creek Station and up around Camp Northend to start serving the roll of artist colony. I think it's a totally normal and acceptable evolution of the city.

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

That pattern is indeed playing out. I would expect neighborhood areas just north of NoDa around Sugar Creek Station and up around Camp Northend to start serving the roll of artist colony. I think it's a totally normal and acceptable evolution of the city.

The problem is, in Charlotte, outside of Plaza-Midwood and NoDa, there really aren't any other neighborhoods with that sort of walkability combined with historic urban feel.  Camp Northend will be a cool place, but it won't be the same.

11 hours ago, JacksonH said:

The problem is, in Charlotte, outside of Plaza-Midwood and NoDa, there really aren't any other neighborhoods with that sort of walkability combined with historic urban feel.  Camp Northend will be a cool place, but it won't be the same.

Truth, though even PM has Central Ave which is not pleasant. NoDa I think will remain uniquely unique if only for its small, and very gridded, street network.

Plus, fortunately, there's a dedicated group of small business owners and property owners in NoDa, many of whom have been there since the 90s, that have an interest in it remaining unique.

I know Paul and Ruth Sires (an artist couple who owned an original gallery space) own the Company Store property. So we'll have to see...

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Truth, though even PM has Central Ave which is not pleasant. NoDa I think will remain uniquely unique if only for its small, and very gridded, street network.

Plus, fortunately, there's a dedicated group of small business owners and property owners in NoDa, many of whom have been there since the 90s, that have an interest in it remaining unique.

I know Paul and Ruth Sires (an artist couple who owned an original gallery space) own the Company Store property. So we'll have to see...

Thanks for that.  It's somewhat reassuring to know that at least one of those businesses owns the property where they operate.  Still, unlike times in the past, we're in an era now where chain stores rule the economy.  A chain store with deep pockets comes along and offers big bucks to that private business to acquire the property where they operate, the pressure to sell out becomes difficult to fight.

Anyone know what the delay is on the Twin Oaks townhomes on 36th and Holt?

Drove by yesterday and they appear to be in the same stage as they were three months ago. (footings with some under-slab plumbing only)  Looks as if all work has been halted so maybe the Drakeford company pulled out.

I recall these were announced back in 2016 with some controversy , no?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the status is with this building?  I think it could definitely be converted into some pretty sweet-looking apartments, but it's been boarded up and fenced in for a while now, and it really looks out of place compared with the rest of the neighborhood (especially when there's another old mill right beside it that has been restored).

DSC_4021.jpg.2472424fe9351389a862798560549e77.jpg

30 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Does anyone know what the status is with this building?  I think it could definitely be converted into some pretty sweet-looking apartments, but it's been boarded up and fenced in for a while now, and it really looks out of place compared with the rest of the neighborhood (especially when there's another old mill right beside it that has been restored).

DSC_4021.jpg.2472424fe9351389a862798560549e77.jpg

You can go back and read pages 100-101 of this thread where it was discussed in detail by some more knowledgeable users.  I'm not sure if anything has changed since it was last discussed, but it sounds like the renovations were going to be considerably more expensive than originally estimated, and hence no movement on the property.  I agree with you, it seems ripe for something cool. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In his defense, I did hear he diverted people working on this to his new JB location in Mt Holly, thus the delay,  and has since got those guys back on this project. I dunno, I was just surprised to see any progress after I got back from a couple weeks of vacay. Though it took that "mason" about 3 weeks to build those flower beds. One day he laid 3 bricks in 5 hours. So yeah, progress. 

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Do we yet know that it won't be?

Here are the plans from this time last year. 

Stu’s Barrel House.  Full bar,  no food, TV's, a stage for live music, outdoor patio seating for the breezeway / front patio and new rooftop area on rear of building. 

I was hoping for a CM layout. We'll have to wait and see.

floorplan-696x464.jpg

Edited by UPNoDa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 10:10 AM, UPNoDa said:

Here are the plans from this time last year. 

Stu’s Barrel House.  Full bar,  no food, TV's, a stage for live music, outdoor patio seating for the breezeway / front patio and new rooftop area on rear of building. 

I was hoping for a CM layout. We'll have to wait and see.

floorplan-696x464.jpg

Yeah.  Could have been something special.  Instead it will just be another bar :yawn: